Saturday, August 12, 2017

Starting the Blog off Right

I could think of no better day to start posting on my new blog then today.

Today is August 12th 2017 aka National Baseball Card Day.

Incase you don't know about it, National Baseball Card Day is a promotion where you can go to any participating hobby shop on the scheduled day and receive a free pack of cards. There's also a special card you can get if you spend $10 or more, I'll get to that later.

I should probably introduce myself before I show you the cards. My name is Henry Blanchette and I am a die-hard Red Sox fan from Massachusetts who also collects lot of Cubs cards as my Dad grew up in Illinois. My style of collecting is player collections. I collect over 100 players from Babe Ruth to David Ortiz. From Ernie Banks to Giancarlo Stanton. My biggest player collection is Nolan Ryan with over 400 cards.

I created this blog for the simple reason that I love cards and would love to share my love of cards with the world, one post at a time.

Now onto the most important part, free baseball cards!

The card shop owner handed both my Dad and I a pack of cards. The top card in my pack was Robinson Cano, a player I've been debating on collecting for sometime now. My dad's pack had
Miguel Sano on top.

This was my Dad's pack and was pretty good. I got cards of Votto and Goldschmidt both of whom I collect and I got a rookie card of Yoan Moncada.

My pack wasn't too bad either (apologies about the McCutchen card as foil is pretty hard to capture with a scanner. I was able to get that Andrew McCutchen card, a player I collect as well as Chris Sale, the Red Sox who got the spot in the checklist.

Now about that $10 purchase for an exclusive card.

I decided to go for 2 packs of 2014 Allen & Ginter and my Dad chose 2 packs of 2015 Topps Archives. These are hobby packs with a good chance to get a relic or autograph.

I was able to pick up a few player collection cards I needed.


These 4 packs definitely were Giants heavy as I got 4 Giants cards I needed for player collections.

And because my Dad and I both spent $10 we were able to get these.


Exclusive Mike Trout cards! Need I saw anything else. I came in with intentions of picking up this card, but I had no idea what would come out of one of my Allen & Ginter packs.
A 1/1 CUT SIGNATURE. 

This is a cut signature of Author John Grisham. I personally have never read any of his work, but I looked him up after getting this card. Turns out he is a bestselling crime book author. I have no real attachment to this card and it is up on eBay right now if anyone is interested.

Still a 1/1 is a special card and pulling this special card on such a special day is amazing. 

Right now I have new baseball cards to sort, a 1/1 cut signature in my possession and the Red Sox are beating the Yankees 10-3. To me, this is the perfect National Baseball Card Day.








1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a pull! I enjoyed Grisham's work through college. Some good reads. Welcome Henry!

    ReplyDelete