Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Dollar Vintage Cards: Card Show Recap #9 Part 3

At almost every card show I attend, I try to make a point to buy at least a couple vintage cards. After all, if you buy vintage the right way you can find some excellent deals on cards, and of good players as well. It's just a matter of finding the right vendor at the right time. That way, you can do everything in your power to ensure you get the best deals possible.

On Sunday when my time at the show was winding down, I decided to briefly browse the $1 vintage bin of the same vendor that I had bought all the dime cards from. He's one of the best vendors at the card show I frequently attend due to his huge variety of inventory, specifically when it comes to vintage cards.

I had browsed that $1 vintage bin before and I had never found anything too spectacular. It usually consists of a ton of 1973 Topps commons and the occasional low-numbered 1972 card. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not the kind of stuff I'm looking for. 

However, Sunday's card show proved to be an exception. My only guess is that the bin was recently restocked because I was incredibly surprised with the selection of cards available, all for only $1 each.

There were a few 1970 Topps cards available, 2 of which I ended up buying. 1 is a Rollie Fingers card which looks somewhat unusual since nearly every card I have of him shows his iconic mustache. The other is of fellow star pitcher of the 60's and 70's, Juan Marichal. Looking at these 2 1970 Topps cards now, I'm beginning to get excited about next years' Topps Heritage set. Granted, it's about 9 months away, but the sleek and silver 1970 Topps design is one that will definitely make 2019 Heritage a well sought after set. It may not be the flashiest 70's set, but it certainly is one of my favorites.

The $1 vintage bin was also home to a couple of 1969 Topps Deckle Edge cards. While I'm on the topic of Heritage, these cards were included in the 2018 Topps Heritage set as inserts, and Topps did a very good job with them. Still, it's hard to beat the originals and the players chosen that made this set so unique. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anything quite like this set has ever been done before or since 1969. 

The black and white photos, the blue ink fake signatures, and of course, the deckled edge around the cards are what made this set so collectible. I can't say I have intentions of completing the set since I have so many other sets on my want list. However, I'll certainly buy a card or 2 from the '69 Deckle Edge set if I see them for the right price like I did at Sunday's show.

With about $10 left, I couldn't go too crazy. Therefore, I decided not to get too into set needs or anything like that, but rather, continue to find cards for player collections. My Orlando Cepeda and Paul Blair player collections don't receive new cards all that often, let alone vintage. I suppose they aren't that prominent and don't have many new cards being made of them. I suppose I understand Blair, but Orlando Cepeda is a Hall of Famer, and considering how little he's represented in modern-day cards, he's one of the most underrated Hall of Famers of all-time.

With just $1 and thus, 1 card left to go, I wanted to make it special. I was thinking maybe a 1965 Topps card of a guy I collect to cap of the purchase or something like that.

I didn't find that. But what I did find was a million times better than what I ever could have expected.

This, my friends, is an original 1950 Bowman card, now the 3rd oldest card in my collection. Not to mention the fact that the card is of a Red Sox player which made it even more sweeter.

I really wasn't expecting to see a card like this, but I knew I had to get it. This would be the perfect card to wrap up the purchase as well as the entire show. After all, it's kinda hard to beat an original 1950 Bowman card for a buck. Especially after doing a post on the oldest cards in my collection a couple weeks ago. It looks like I'll have to update that list sooner rather than later at this point. 






3 comments:

  1. Nice vintage pickups! It sure is strange to see Rollie without his signature 'stache. Both the '70 cards look sharp, but I'm partial to the '68 set and Cepeda.

    ReplyDelete