Tuesday, May 1, 2018

This Time, Each Card Was $1: Card Show Recap #8 Part 3

After posting, scanning, and writing about the cards I got at the Shriners show, it's time for me to move on to the 3rd and final post in the 8th card show recap series I've done since starting this blog back in August. The cards I'm showing here are a bit different because I didn't purchase any of them. Yes, these are the cards my dad chose to get at the show with me while he spent most of his time searching through a tremendous bin of $1, looking for the best cards he could find.

Similar to the 2 for $1 bin I scanned through upon arrival at the show, my dad found himself looking through a couple of bins that contained hundreds of cards, all of which were in sleeves and top-loaders, and all of which were $1 each. He picked up a huge variety of cards, mainly from the 70's and 80's, including the 1977 Topps Cloth Sticker of Joe Morgan shown at the top of this post. He stumbled upon many types of cards, primarily oddballs which I've decided to show first.

While these cards appear to be in the 1969 Topps design, the players chosen are from the 80's and 90's, causing one to speculate what this set actually is. Upon further inspection, it turns out these cards are from the 1990 Baseball Cards Magazine set and they appear to actually be hand-cut out of a magazine that you'd get in the mail. I don't know anything about the magazine, so I'm not sure why they chose to model their 1990 cards after the 1969 Topps set. 

However, I do know this brand was not just a one-year thing as my dad also purchased cards from the 1989 set that was done to resemble the 1959 Topps set. Once again, the players were from the era the set was made, but the style of the cards resembles various vintage Topps sets. I guess this was just an unofficial start to the Archives brand despite not being done by Topps. I'd be very interested to hear any information about the magazine these cards came in if anyone has any knowledge about it.

Regular Topps sets can get kinda boring, let's talk about Burger King collector's sets instead. These special cards from 1980 featured a Burger King logo on the top left of the card and were distributed at Burger King's across the country. He tracked down 3 different Burger King cards while looking through the bin. Two of them are Red Sox players (Rice and Lynn) and are shown above. 

The final of the 3 is my favorite of the Bunch. It's Joe Morgan during his 2nd stint with the Houston Astros. He can be seen smiling on this card while wearing one of my favorite uniforms of all-time, the rainbow-striped Astros jerseys from the 80's.

Like I said, a lot of what was included in this purchase at the show was 80's cards, and you can't get all that more 80's then these 2 cards right here. For those of you who don't know, the blue borders on these 1988 Topps cards signify that they were cut from the bottom of the box of that years' set. Each box includes 4 cards which are numbered with a letter on the back. The spots were reserved for some of the best players in baseball back in 1988. In this case, 2 of those players were Don Baylor and Mike Schmidt.

I haven't really been able to find out what these 2 cards are, but I know they're from the 80's as well. The backs didn't help me find them on COMC, but the fronts sure are eye-catching and different from what we're used to seeing, especially out of 80's cards. The images chosen of Clemente and Mays are done in a filter very similar to sepia which helps to give them more of a vintage feel, just like the era these 2 are from. The border around the picture is pretty interesting as well, especially since this is the first time I've ever seen cards from this set before.

You can't really go wrong with Rod Carew, particularly when the background is a mountain range and a clear blue sky. That's just an awesome card, especially given the resources available to make this card back in 1981. A+ job, Fleer.

That wasn't all for Carew, however, as yet another Rod Carew card made its way into the $1 per card haul that my dad brought home. These Legendary Lumberjacks inserts have always been one of my favorite insert sets ever made, especially when you can get a card numbered to 400 of a Hall of Famer for only a buck.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to getting 3D cards for such a good price, especially when the player on the card is a top 2 catcher of all-time. I don't usually see 3D cards anymore at the shows I go to after they were so prominent for many years. I also don't have many 3D cards from this set which is 1982 Kellogg's. Because of all those reasons, it's fitting that this card be the very last one I show in my 3-part card show recap of the epic Shriners show. 








7 comments:

  1. https://www.teamsets4u.com//checklist/1990/1990bbcmag.html. Here’s a checklist for the baseball card magazine. These magazines featured numerous cards of present day players with old Topps formats. ,there was 6-8 in most issues if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out.

      Delete
  2. The Clemente/Mays cards look to be "Cramer Baseball Legends" 1980-86, at least as far as COMC is concerned. Mike Cramer was the creator of the Pacific Brand of cards, and he put out a few 'collector-only' type sets prior to getting Pacific started in (I think) the early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Definitely from that set.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know. I happen to really like that set, so I'm glad I know what it's called now, lol.

      Delete
  3. Oddball bounty! The Kellog's Bench and BK Morgan are very cool. But that 81 Fleer Carew is fantastic. Love the mountains in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some oddballs, but I have to say my eyes are being drawn to that Carew card more than any other.

      Delete