Monday, April 30, 2018

The Best Cards of the Day: Card Show Recap #8 Part 2

After sharing the highlights of my first purchase at the Shriner's show during yesterday's post, I'm picking up right where I left off by showing what I got with the rest of my money at the card show yesterday.

Like I said before, I spent a good deal of my funds when I went through those glorious 50 cent bins (I actually only made it through 5/8 rows before I stopped myself), so that took up a decent amount of my budget. I had about half of my money left, and I knew I wanted to make it count by purchasing 2 of the best types of cards in the world; vintage cards and autographed cards.

I ended up starting in a bin from the same dealer that had a bunch of $5 cards. I quickly picked out the best of the vintage baseball cards that were in that bin, which is how I ended up with my very first 1962 Post baseball card that features none other than Yogi Berra. It has a crease right by the edge of his hat which made me a little skeptical, but I knew instantly that I had to get this card for a number of reasons.

1. It's my very first 1962 Post baseball card.
2. It was only $5.
3. It's a card of arguably the best catcher to ever play the game, Yogi Berra.

I PROMISE, I'm not turning into a Yankees fan, but this 1963 Topps Roger Maris was far too good of a card to pass up since it too was just $5. Vintage Yankees cards are typically extremely hard to come by and are usually going for way higher than $5 a piece. This card, like the Yogi Berra, might not be in the best condition, but for the price and the player I got the card of, I'm in no place to complain.

I also mentioned that I bought my very first original Dennis Eckersley card on the Indians yesterday, however, I also stated it wouldn't be the last. That's because shortly after purchasing the 1978 Eckersley, I stumbled upon the Hall of Famer's rookie card from one of my favorite sets of all-time, 1976 Topps. I've seen this rookie card and the awesome-looking Indians jersey many times before, but I never thought I'd have it in hand, let alone for just $5. 

I spent $15 on vintage, so I was looking to spend about the same when I wandered over to a table with multiple stacks of autographed cards on it. When I finished shuffling through the stacks, I realized I had come up with 3 totally different cards.

The first of the 3 autographs was a really obscure one, but also an auto that I was incredibly pleased to see, especially for the price. This Vern Law autographed card is from the 2016 Topps Archives 65th Anniversary set The design chosen is 1966 Topps which is pretty perfect given how well the pink worked on Pirates cards back in the 60's and how it still, in my opinion, works very well today.

The 2nd of the 3 autos was supposed to be the last, but I ended up getting one more card. I'll explain how pretty soon. Anyway, I knew I had to get this Hanley Ramirez autograph as soon as I saw it, simply because he's one of my top 3 favorite Red Sox players along with Mookie Betts and Craig Kimbrel. It may be a sticker auto, but I easily looked past that in order to add this card to my collection. Ramirez is off to a fantastic start to the 2018 season. Hopefully, he can stay that way and play just as well as he did in 2016 and channel the Hanley that played for the Marlins.

These 2 cards added up to be $16 in total which I deemed pretty fair, so I called it a day. While I was handing the vendor my $20 bill he told me "you know these are 3 for 20 right? You're at $16 now so you can add another if you want."

Sure enough, my eyes shifted to an index card that read "$10 each or 3 for 20." I instantly become ecstatic, for I was now able to add a card I never thought I could get when I first saw the price.
This Jonathan Schoop autograph was originally priced at $30 which I thought was too much for me. However, the 3 for 20 sign ended up saving me and helped me realize that I could, in fact, include the Schoop card in my purchase. I guess it was priced incorrectly or something like that. All I know is I was able to end the show the right way by adding 3 fantastic vintage cards and 3 new autos to my collection. 







3 comments:

  1. Nice pickups. Love the Post Berra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It's probably my favorite of the vintage bunch.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff. I know how you feel about Yankees cards, there's a part of us Sox fans that feel dirty buying them. But vintage legends like that are too good to pass up. The Eck Rc and Vern Law auto are nice as well.

    ReplyDelete