Thursday, April 5, 2018

Frankenset Page #2

Nearly 2 weeks ago, I placed an order on COMC to acquire just under 20 cards needed to complete my 1972 Topps set which was one of my goals for card collecting this year. COMC sure has taken its time in getting the package to me. However, it's expected to arrive in the mail tomorrow. 

Until the order arrives, I needed some cards to post that were interesting not just to look at but was also an interesting idea that I could not only build upon, but I could continue as well. Therefore, I decided to post my first page of my frankenset yesterday. Today, I will be showing the 2nd page of the set.

#10 2013 Topps Gypsy Queen White Framed Al Kaline
It's hard to imagine how gorgeous this set would look if every card looked as nice as the white framed Al Kaline card to go along with the slver trim around the border. This card was originally supposed to go to the Al Kaline collection, but I decided to override it and put it in the frankenset soon after picking it up for a quarter at the card show.

#11 2016 Leaf Babe Ruth Collection Babe Ruth Golfing
It's fitting that I'm showing this card of Babe Ruth golfing from the 2016 Leaf Babe Ruth Collection set considering that The Masters are going on currently. Seriously, is there anything Babe Ruth can't do?

#12 2009 Bowman World Baseball Classic Gold Parallel
This has to be one of the most stunning baseball cards I've ever seen in my life as it features a pop of color and perfect image that I don't think I've ever quite seen before. The best part, by far, would have to be the incredible bright red Cuba jersey that Chapman is wearing. Absolutely incredible card.

#13 Topps Hallowed Highlights Robin Yount
In generall, I wasn't a huge fan of these Hallowed Highlights inserts from 2016 Topps. They seemed pretty bland overall, but the Robin Yount card is one that, to me, stands out above all others. The old-school jersey along with the highlight the card is honoring makes for a pretty unique card that I think was a good choice for a frankenset.

#14 2017 Topps Heritage Target 1968 Topps Game Rookies Jake Thompson
The 2017 Topps Heritage set featured a Target-exclusive insert set of rookies that was in the same design as the 1968 Game cards. I picked this card up at the show thinking it was part of my needs for the regular 1968 Game insert set from 2017 Heritage, so as soon as I found out what it was really from, I knew the frankenset was the perfect card for the frankenset.

#15 2000 Fleer Tradition Dividends Juan Gonzalez
Taking on a stlye similar to the 80's Diamond Kings card, this Dividends insert shows Juan Gonzalez highlighting one of the most frusterating things of 2000's baseball cards. The jersey and hat say Rangers, but the logo says Tigers. Definitely one of the more confusing things that became all too common in baseball cards before the Topps monopoly of the 2010's.

#16 1989 Playball USA Super Stars Gary Sheffield
This card is the same design as the Darryl Strawberry card that made it to the first page of the set. It's also the 2nd Brewers card of the page in the 2nd different Brewers jersey. Both of which I really like a lot.

#17 2016 Topps Gypsy Queen Nolan Arenado
You can definitely tell this picture was taken at Coors Field due to the purple color that you see throughout the background. My guess is they were playing the Giants that day, for there are specks of orange in the background as well.

#18 2005 Skybox Autographics Victor Martinez
The final card is from the short-lived Skybox Autographics set. The player shown is a very happy looking Victor Martinez back when he used to play for the Cleveland Indians. Now, he could very well retire after this season given that this is the final year of his contract. 









2 comments:

  1. The Kaline is my favorite on the page. Didn't know those white parallels existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMC shipping can be painfully slow, especially compared to other places. I've got an order incoming from them as well.

    Yount and Kaline are two of my favorite HOFers. Nice cards!

    ReplyDelete