Monday, January 7, 2019

Top 5 Cards; Ernie Banks

I haven't been doing top 5 cards posts as much as I used to, but on the occasions that I put one together, I prefer the player of choice to be from the golden era of Baseball. That is, the 50s-70s.

Nothing against any other player, but from the late-1950s through the mid-1970s, Baseball featured dozens of future Hall of Famers and countless other star players. Topps also produced some of the best Flagship sets of all-time back then with checklist after star-studded checklist.

The colorful products, the players, and simply the time period provides a lot of material to work with, and it also helps that I have quite a lot of fun writing posts about Baseball legends from that time period. You can never really go wrong with vintage cards anyway.

When choosing a player for today's post, I realized I had already done a top 5 cards post for many 60s players. Stargell, Clemente, Williams, Robinson, and McCovey are just a few of the names along with my favorite player of all-time, Hank Aaron. 

However, 1 major name still had not been used up until now. Today, I'll be doing a top 5 cards post for Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks.

At 105 cards, Ernie Banks is in the Gold Tier of all my player collections, and his representation in modern-day Topps products is a major reason why. It also helps that I have a nice selection of vintage banks cards. Ultimately, I decided to go with all vintage cards for this list, beginning with a 1950s card at spot #5.

#5 1959 Topps Cubs Clubbers
With teammates Dale Long and Walt Moryn accompanying Banks on this 1959 Topps combo card, the whole idea of vintage cards is truly embodied. Bold and bright colors are a staple for vintage sets, and I'm very fond of the 1959 Topps combo cards in particular. In a way, it's almost better than more well-known Cubs like Billy Williams and Ron Santo aren't featured alongside Banks. That way, Mr. Cub can be the star of the card. 

#4 1970 Topps
1970 may have been Banks' 2nd to last year in Baseball, but his 1970 Topps card remains one of the greatest card made of the 500 home run club member. As the years went on, Topps began producing more and more cards with action images featured, or at least pictures that show the player in motion. You wouldn't see a card like this of Banks in the early to mid-1960s. 

In addition to featuring a classic Topps design, Banks 1970 Topps card includes one of the best images to ever make it onto one of his Topps base cards of all-time.

#3 1967 Topps
If it features the right image, 1967 Topps can include some of the greatest sets in Topps history, and this Ernie Banks card certainly no exception. While I don't necessarily think the orange color is the best fit for the Cubs cards, the image as absolutely perfect though I could do without the fake signature. However, the Cubs blue on Banks' sleeve actually compliments the orange very well, and the result is an excellent card of Banks.

#2 1962 Topps
I knew I wanted Banks' classic 1962 Topps card to be included on the countdown, but I originally figured I'd put it at #5 or #4. But the more I studied the card, the more details begin to jump out at me, such as the black and white image in the light blue circle. 

The sky blue is a nice contrast to the bold red at the bottom of the card, but the main detail that captures my attention is the simple yet near-perfect photo of Banks, creating a card that is both simple and complex at the same time.

#1 1954 Topps (rookie card)
Because my Dad bought this card many years ago, it's always been a part of my collection since before I can remember. With that being said, it doesn't take away from how special this card truly is. I mean, it's a rookie card of one of the greatest hitters of all-time, recently graded by Beckett. You can't get much better than that.

I certainly have critiqued 1954 Topps in the past, but the white background on Banks' rookie card has become so classic because of how it's such an excellent fit. The old-school Cubs logo is another detail very reminiscent of the time period. 

But, it's the way the 2 different pictures compliment each other that helps to create one of the most iconic rookie cards ever made, and one I'm proud to have at the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment