Thursday, May 23, 2019

Frankenset Page #53

First things first, I apologize for not keeping up with my blog posts as much as I'd like to during the month of May so far, a pattern I'm trying to break out of as soon as possible.

It's difficult to explain, but I've struggled with finding both motivation and material to post over the last few weeks. I'm definitely experiencing writer's block as, more so than anything, it's been challenging to come up with topics to post about in the first place, hence why I've already missed 6 posts so far this month.

The other factor that has led to a decrease in posting is a lack of material and topics to expand upon and write about. I've gone through writer's block a handful of times before, but this extended period has resulted in a smaller number of posts and a decrease in quality, in my opinion.

Thankfully, I'll be attending the Memorial Day Mansfield Baseball card show this Monday, May 27th. I'm hopeful that this upcoming show will help me break free of this slump by giving me fresh, new material to talk about here on the blog.

Seriously, it's hard to beat a trip to the Baseball card show, especially since I'm in dire need of something interesting to post about in order to get me back into the groove of posting virtually every day of the week.

I've already planned out each and every one of my blog posts up until next Monday's show. As you can see, today's is a continuation of the frankenset series with page #53. On this particular page, cards #469-477 are featured. 

#469 1987 Topps Mike Diaz
After burning collectors out on the 1987 Flagship set 2 years ago, I wonder how long it'll take before Topps recreates the '87 set again. One can only assume that this time will come before 2036 Topps Heritage when this set will be featured in the iconic Heritage brand. 

Until then, I expect the classic wood-bordered design to be utilized in Topps Archives once the overproduced insert set of 2017 has been forgotten.

#470 1989 Score Rex Hudler
As mediocre as the 1989 Score design is, the colorful Montreal Expos uniforms certainly enhance the boring cards. For virtually any Baseball card product, for that matter, colorful jerseys, particularly that of the Expos, help me see past an uninteresting set design.

Granted, there are some occasional exceptions, but for the most part, colorful and unique uniforms do an excellent job of improving cards as a whole. I just wish Topps would feature them on their present day cards a bit more frequently. 

#471 1977 Topps Del Unser
I'm absolutely thrilled to have back-to-back Montreal Expos cards for spots #470 and #471 respectively, especially since the latter is from the superb 1977 Topps Flagship set.

I won't lie; I'm not the biggest fan of the red team name combined with the green player name for the '77 Topps Expos cards, but the photograph of outfielder Del Unser more than makes up for it. Everything about this card is so representative of the 70s that it's challenging not to find something about it that you like.

#472 1982 Donruss Luis Salazar
I just realized that, aside from mini sets and inserts, I've never completed a set from any brand besides Topps. This includes Upper Deck, Fleer, and, yes Donruss, all of whom produced some excellent products over the span of a few decades.

While I can't say that Upper Deck released a ton of standout sets, Fleer produced a surplus of gorgeous products throughout the early 2000s. The same could be said for Donruss who, along with Fleer, created some stellar sets in the 1980s as well, including both 1985 Fleer and Donruss.

#473 1993 Topps Gold Dave Henderson
I love 1977 Topps and the Montreal Expos as much as anybody else, but this 1993 Topps Gold card of Dave Henderson is undoubtedly my favorite card from the entire 53rd page. There's just something so special and unique about the gold and green color combination that comes across on this card, a combo that is distinctively Oakland Athletics.

#474 1980 Topps Steve Busby
Admittedly, Steve Busby's 1980 Topps card is an exception to the rule that I mentioned when discussing the 1989 Score Rex Huddler card towards the beginning of this post. The powder blue uniform may be awesome, but the photo quality is so poor that it prevents me from having positive feelings about this card.

#475 1991 Topps Teddy Higuera
Until 1991 Topps was showcased a few years back in 2016 Topps Archives, I wasn't too familiar with the set if I'm being perfectly honest. Since then, I've grown to appreciate this so-called "junk wax" product even more, for I even purchased a hobby box of this for just $5 at the Baseball card show a couple of years ago. 

It's thanks to that purchase, by the way, that I've been able to feature so many 1991 Topps cards across my frankenset and its pages.

#476 1984 Topps Tom Tellmann
No matter how or what the Topps Flagship design looks like, the Topps Chrome set always does a phenomenal job of creating beautiful base cards and refractors based off the Series 1 and 2 design. 

Later this year, 2019 Topps Chrome will be released, featuring 1984 Topps insert cards on chrome cardstock. I can't express how excited I am to see these cards in person, for the 1987 and 1983 cards from the past few years have not disappointed me.

#477 1971 Topps Earl Weaver
Last but not least, a card of one of the greatest managers in Baseball history. Earl Weaver led an extremely talented Baltimore Orioles team to a World Series title in 1970 along with nearly 1,500 career wins. He also was ejected from an unbelievably high number of games with some reports claiming that he was ejected over 90 times.

4 comments:

  1. Have no idea who Mike Diaz is... but I sure love his 87T card. And love that Weaver too. He was one of my favorite managers back in the day. Loved watching him lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to pick Del Unser as my favorite of the page...but you’re right, the Dave Henderson is great. What a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You post a lot! It's okay to skip a post from time to time, no matter what the reason is. And I don't care who it is, everybody get's tired of talking about cards all the time.

    ReplyDelete