Sunday, May 19, 2019

Mega Mojo Luck

Believe me when I say this; I wasn't looking for Baseball cards when I went shopping at Target yesterday, especially not the recently-released and widely popular Bowman Mega Boxes.

I'd already seen numerous Twitter posts in which collectors purchased anywhere from 1 to 20 of these Bowman Mega Boxes upon seeing them at their local Target. That's why I was so shocked to see 6 of them available for sale at Target, for I assumed someone would swoop them all up and cash in on a nice profit.

The retail-exclusive boxes are notorious for their high odds at colored parallels and autographed mojo refractors of the top prospects in all of Baseball. In addition to 4 retail packs of regular 2019 Bowman, each Mega Box features 2 highly sought after mojo refractor packs with 5 cards in each.

Although I was unable to find any Mega Boxes last year, I managed to track one down in 2017, back when they delivered 5 packs of regular Bowman and cost $15 instead of $20. 

I got lucky that time and pulled some nice prospect cards, so I decided to take the risk not only of buying the box but opening the packs. I could've easily sold it for $35 online and made a quick and easy profit.

My primary goal, upon purchasing the box, was to sell any major pulls and make a profit. There's a significant risk associated with prospect card collecting, so it's never really been my cup of tea. 

I kept telling myself that if I landed any valuable cards, it would be worthwhile to sell them and spend the money right back on Baseball cards that I want for my collection. 

Of course, before I get into the highlight of the purchase, the 2 mojo refractor packs, I should talk for a little bit about the Bowman base cards. Unfortunately, I believe that the Mega Box Bowman base packs do not include inserts or numbered cards, so all you get is 8 paper cards and 2 chromes per pack.

In some cases, getting all base cards is beneficial, for it increases your chances of pulling a highly-desired prospect card, like Wander Franco. However, I wasn't as fortunate to land any major names as far as the Bowman base packs are concerned.

Still, I can't complain about landing 4 1st Bowman cards, especially given the previously mentioned unpredictability of collecting prospect cards. You never know; one of these guys could end up a superstar. 

Just like the regular Bowman retail packs, you can expect 2 chrome cards per Mega Box pack of the regular Bowman. As far as 1st Bowman Chrome cards are concerned, I've come up short with the packs that I've opened.

However, I still managed to pull a couple of well-respected chrome prospect cards. Both Brendan Rogers and Brendan McKay are expected to make their big league debuts rather soon. McKay, in particular, is a prospect whom I am very excited to see called up to the majors.

Moving on to the biggest attraction of these Target-exclusive boxes; the mojo refractors. Back in 2017, I landed a Vlad Jr base and a Luis Urias purple refractor, but I didn't get much as far as 1st Bowman cards are concerned.

This time, although Nova and Richardson aren't super well-known, I ended up with a few 1st Bowman mojo refractors which I believe I'll hold onto. Plus, these parallels look incredibly sharp and shiny, so much so that I wonder why Topps doesn't produce more mojo refractors like Panini does.

If I'm being totally honest, I would've preferred to pull another 2 prospect cards instead of the 2 inserts above, solely to have another couple of chances of landing mojo refractor cards/parallels of big-name prospects. 

With that being said, it's hard to complain given how stunning these mojo cards are, rather it's a parallel of a base prospect card or an insert like the Touki Toussaint and Brendan Rogers cards above.

Eloy Jimenez and Bo Bichette are both top 15 prospects in the game according to MLB.com with Jimenez ranked at #3. Thus, even though these 2 players are no longer 1st Bowman prospects, I'm very pleased with these 2 pulls.

Bichette has been a top prospect for years now and is expected to (finally) make his MLB debut some point this season. On the other hand, Eloy Jimenez already signed an extension with the White Sox before the season started and has received some playing time so far in 2019.

As beautiful as the mojo refractors are, I was really hoping to make a profit off this box with some type of autograph, parallel, variation, or another kind of valuable card.

While I didn't luck out with an autograph or numbered card pull, I'm incredibly grateful for these 2 stellar mojo refractor cards that came out of the box. 

Prospects Wander Franco and Joey Bart are arguably the 2 most sought-after 1st Bowman prospects in 2019 Bowman, and if I sell their cards for what they're currently going for on eBay, I could end up making a profit greater than the cost of the box itself.

I've already listed both of these cards for sale on my brand new eBay page, but I think I'm going to hold on to the other 48 cards that I pulled. That way, I can keep some of these sick mojo refractor cards while, at the same time, making a generous profit.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your pulls! I don't know what such things are selling for, but hopefully you'll make a killing on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pulls. FYI, Brendan Rogers made his MLB debut late last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Congratulations on pulling the Bart and Franco! Hope you're able to turn a tidy profit on these.

    ReplyDelete