Monday, November 13, 2017

From the 70's to the 2010's: Top 25 A's Cards List #15-11

This is the 3rd segment of the 5 part countdown of my top 25 favorite Athletics cards list. We've reached the mid-part of the list which means the cards are going to be getting better and better as well as more unique overall. 

The special part of these 5 cards is that they range from all different decades. We'll start the list out with the 2010's and work our way to the 2000's. By the end of this part, I will have shown cards from those years as well as cards from the 70's and 80's. 

Here they are, cards 15-11.

#15 2017 Topps Heritage High Number #684 Santiago Casilla
The only card from 2017 to make this list was actually able to crack the top 15. Casilla returned to the Oakland A's in 2017, having spent the first 6 years of his big league career there before leaving to play for the Giants. In what could be the relief pitcher's final year, Casilla is shown in the bright yellow retro uniforms in the dugout at the stadium. He has a green Gatorade cup in his hand that only adds to the already colorful card. However, the best part of this card would have to be the set itself. As I've noted before I'm a huge fan of the 1968 Topps set. So to bring that together with a retro jersey and the camera quality of today is why this card is a favorite of mine and the only 2017 card on the list. 

#14 2003 Fleer Flair Greats #44 Reggie Jackson
This is the first, but certainly not the last card of A's legend and Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson to make the list. Reggie has a lot of iconic cards both old and new, but this was a card of his that flew under the radar. A card that didn't even enter my mind when I thought about making this list. However, as I was looking for cards for the countdown I stumbled upon this one and from there I knew it would make the list. Not only does the Flair Greats set resemble a high-end product similar to the iconic Topps Museum, but it also features a young Reggie in one of the many different A's jerseys. The bats on his shoulders only add fuel to the fire and make this card one of the best ones I have not just of Reggie Jackson, but any Athletics player. 

#13 1972 Topps #41 Tommy Davis
I couldn't forget my favorite set ever made therefore I chose the1972 Topps Tommy Davis card to make the list. Yes, I had many other choices including Tommy Davis in action, but the white jersey with green sleeves isn't something you see every day so I had to put this card in the #13 spot above all others from the set. The jersey isn't the only thing I like as the bright blue sky pays a nice compliment to the card. And as is the deal with every 1972 Topps card, the set design is by far my favorite part and truly looks great. This was able to beat out action shots and kid pics and cards like that because of it's very few elements. The card isn't overly complicated and instead of there being too much on the card, there was actually a perfect amount which is how it made the list.

#12 1971 Topps #495 Felipe Alou
We'll be staying in the 1970's for one more card on this part of the list to show off another one of my favorite sets of all-time. The distinctive black borders from the 1971 set stood out from any other set made during the 70's and it's pretty easy to see how. The black border is extended throughout the whole card but also leaves enough space for the picture which for the Athletics means a very colorful image that will stand-out above all other cards. This card not only has a colorful picture but also features an action shot at an angle that we don't usually see which is something I like a lot about this card. The faint fake signature is something I barely noticed which is good considering I'm not a big fan of them. All in all 1971 A's cards are nothing short of excellent, which is why there will be more of this set later on the list.

#11 1982 Kellogg's 3-D Super Stars #35 Tony Armas
The final card of this part of the list combines 2 of my favorite things on a baseball card, 3D cards, and the A's. The 2nd Tony Armas card to make the list is from Kelloggs' 1982 set that saw cards inserted into boxes of the distinctive cereal company's products. Not only does the uniform add color like it does on every card on this list, but the stars lined up along the sides of the card is by far my favorite element of the set. The Kelloggs logo in the top left is another element that I as well as anyone else who opened a box of Kellogg's cereal that year has grown to appreciate. Yes, the image is a bit blurry, but considering that this was 3D card printed in the early 80's I think they did an excellent job. 








No comments:

Post a Comment