Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Getting There

After I recently acquired 8 more 1972 Topps cards from my want list, I am now down to my final 42 missing cards from the 787-card set. This means that I have about 95% of the set that my dad has been collecting since it came out. From color variation cards to in action cards, we're just 42 cards away.

This feat, however, will not come easily to us. One of the final missing cards is Steve Garvey's rookie card, another is a notoriously expensive Thurmon Munson card. And even players I've never heard of could end up costing me a fortune simply because they are high numbered cards. 

But on the other hand, there is good news. Every one of the cards shown in this post was purchased for $1, yes $1 at the card shop I visited a few weeks ago. I was already over budget before I looked at these, so I decided not to go crazy. That being said, I will definitely return to the card shop soon to check many more cards off my list.

Like I said, the cards I am currently missing are very high numbers. In fact, the lowest card number shown here is 658, which was until a few weeks ago, the lowest numbered missing card. Now that title belongs to card #661, Bill Virdon. 

And despite the low price, these haul of 1972 Topps cards delivered some nice images like this Pat Jarvis taken at Spring Training with a few of his fellow teammates in the background.

Along with this card of Phillies pitcher Chris Short, which was my favorite card I got during this trip. The 70's Phillies uniform is one of my favorite jerseys of all-time. That, paired with the crazy colors used at the top of every 1972 card makes for something that is very 1970's.

And even though I'm not big on condition, all of these cards are in very good shape. There are no marks, not even any slight creases or heavily bent corners. I almost feel bad buying these cards for $1 each because honestly, they are worth a lot more.

But the final card I got was surprisingly a card of a player I collect, Paul Blair. Blair was a key part of the Orioles' success throughout the 60's and 70's. The 8-time Gold Glove award winner was a star outfielder for the team that he helped guide to 2 World Series wins. He, in fact, won 2 more in his career with the 1977 and 1978 Yankees.

Also, please let me know if you have any 1972 Topps cards from my want list as I would be more than glad to trade for them with you. Just send me an email with what you have and want and I will get back to you ASAP.









No comments:

Post a Comment