Saturday, March 17, 2018

Cards I Find When Organizing Even More Cards

I've been in the midst of a massive collection organization project over the last couple of months. I've spent this time organizing my collection in many different ways. It began with me putting player collection cards away and has culminated in me categorizing my collections on a Google spreadsheet. 

Throughout these couple of months, I have found many cards from previous visits to shows and shops tucked away in small brown paper bags among dozens of other cards. This process has allowed me to not just have a more organized collection but has helped me to discover many cards that I haven't shown here on the blog, most of which are dime cards.

We begin with a 2012 Topps Heritage Minor League card of Marcell Ozuna on the Jupiter Hammerheads. Heritage has always been my favorite set, but I've never been a big fan of collecting prospect cards which is why I've never bought any Heritage Minor League until picking up this card for a dime at the last card show I attended. This card will be a nice addition to the Marcell Ozuna collection which is one I hope to add new cards to this season showing him on his new team, the St. Louis Cardinals.

I don't think I've bought a single blaster of Stadium Club in my lifetime, and frankly, I don't typically have to. I can usually count on the dime boxes to deliver Stadium Club base cards year after year, especially cards from the 2016 and 2017 sets. Despite me not fully liking the revived set in the very beginning, I must say that Topps has done an excellent job with the set over the last 3 years. So much so that I might have to break my streak of never buying a blaster of this stuff in order to acquire cards with some of the best photography you can find like the 2 cards shown above.

These next 2 cards feature players and sets that are very different yet have very similar backgrounds. The Addison Russel card is a Fireworks card from 2015 Panini Stars and Stripes while the Chipper Jones card is a nod to the 1994-95 Topps Finest Basketball set that was recreated for last year's Topps Finest. The only way I'd be able to draw comparisons between the 2 cards is because I got them in the dime bines at the same time. And while the similarities aren't huge, the cards definitely do have similar backgrounds.

Another pair of similar looking cards also involved Addison Russell, although this time the similar features came in the form of the parallel of the card. The Ryan Zimmerman is a cracked ice parallel, a type of parallel that looks similar to the prism refractor from 2017 Topps Chrome. Again, they're not perfect, however, it certainly does enough to catch one's attention and has some kind of resemblance. I must say that I've never been a big fan of the prism parallels, so the cracked ice card is the one that I like better.

The odd dime box cards kept on coming as I discovered a 1987 Fleer Limited Edition Don Mattingly card as well as a 1969 Topps Expos Rookie Stars card, both of which I remember getting at the card show before last. I truly can't believe that I've gone this long without organizing my cards.

However, there couldn't be a stack of cards that didn't include at least a couple of Red Sox gems from past shows, including this 1976 Topps Traded Fergie Jenkins. These iconic Traded cards feature the Sports Extra news headline that quickly became familiar and recognizable in the 1976 Topps set. I definitely associate Jenkins with the Cubs more than the Red Sox, so as much as I want this with the Red Sox cards, I'm going to put it with the Fergie Jenkins player collection.

But the final card I'm showing today is truly a testament as to why many bloggers and collectors, myself included, love TCMA. The card shown above is from the 1986 TCMA All-Time Red Sox set, and obviously, Yaz was an easy choice for the set. I've never seen these cards before, but I'll have to look a bit harder given how cool this card is, especially the facts that TCMA used the Sox colors blue and red on the card. Upon taking a closer look at the checklist, I discovered names like Cy Young and Jimmie Foxx are in this set, giving me even more of a reason to track down at least a couple more of these cards. 








2 comments:

  1. It's always cool to rediscover stuff you forgot you had. I'm too OCD about organizing my cards to be surprised, though my memorabilia boxes are a mess and often full of surprises.

    You got some great stuff in here, in particular the Chipper finest, Fergie, Yaz, and Expos rookies. Were they all dime box finds, or just the ones you specified?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yaz and Fergie were $2 each. All the others were dime cards

      Delete