Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Frankenset Page 12

One thing that differentiates baseball from other sports is the lack of truly terrible teams which is certainly one of the positive and more desirable aspects of the sport. 

For example, the Minnesota Twins were the only team in 2016 with a win percentage below .400. Similarly, the Tigers and Giants were the only clubs in 2017 to have a winning percentage below that mark. It's likely due to the sheer number of games played, making it harder to lose at the rate that some NFL or NBA teams lose.

This year, however, appears to be different. Not only are there currently 3 teams with a win percentage below .400 and one team with a win percentage of exactly .400, but the Orioles currently have a win percentage of .295 while the Royals are on the verge of reaching that mark as well. The 2018 Orioles are on pace for one of the worst seasons in MLB history, and that's before the expected trading of superstar Manny Machado.

The worst teams in baseball right now are worse than they've been in a while. However, my 12th frankenset page is one of the best ones yet. It features cards 100-108 and includes cards from Stadium Club and even a card from the early 60's. Now, let's get started with the 100th card in the set.

#100 2015 Topps Stadium Club Alex Cobb
Many are quick to point out the inaccuracies in these Rays throwback jerseys since they never, in fact, wore them until they were used as throwbacks. However, they happen to be some of my favorite 70's style jerseys still worn as throwbacks occasionally today despite not being true and authentic throwback uniforms.

#101 2002 Donruss Diamond Kings Marlon Byrd
Whether it be the original Diamond Kings in their 80's sets or the actual set produced in the 2000's, Donruss was able to make the Diamond Kings brand iconic for over 20 years. I'm indifferent towards the current Diamond Kings set by Panini, but the DK cards in the Panini Donruss set is what I mainly have an issue with.

#102 1966 Topps Ed Kirkpatrick Buyback
I'm not a huge buyback fan myself, but I do very much like the Topps Heritage 50th anniversary buybacks that are included as box toppers in Heritage hobby boxes. I just think it's pretty cool to be able to get a vintage card to add to your collection even if the player isn't super well-known. It's much better than getting dozens of stamped 1987 cards from the 2017 giveaway promo. 

#103 1961 Topps Ruben Amaro
Speaking of vintage cards, the next card is from the 1961 Topps set which I am in the process of adding to my want list. Therefore, I should definitely look for a new card #103 so I can put Ruben Amaro's card with the other 1961 Topps cards in the '61 Topps binder. 

#104 2003 Upper Deck Vintage Larry Doby
I've never been a huge fan of the Upper Deck Vintage set due to how they base their set designs of various Topps sets like 1971 and in this case, 1965. Still, I always appreciate when a company goes the extra mile for a card which is exactly what Upper Deck did here by choosing a black and white image for Larry Doby's card.

#105 2006 Topps Victor Martinez
The set design for Victor Martinez's 2006 Topps card makes it one of the simplest cards on the page in terms of design alone. However, I chose this card due to the action-image of Martinez getting ready to swing which helps make the card stand out a bit more.

#106 2004 Topps Opening Day Benito Santiago
There was a time in years such as 2004 (shown above) and 2008 when Topps' Opening Day set featured different colored borders than the base Flagship set. In 2004, the borders were gray as opposed to white while the in 2008, Topps went with red borders that stood out quite a bit. I know for a fact these 2 years were different, though I'm not sure about any others.

#107 2015 Topps Stadium Club Gold Parallel Ron Gant
The 2nd 2015 Topps Stadium Club card of the page is a gold parallel of the 7-year veteran of the Atlanta Braves, Ron Gant. I must say that out of all the Stadium Club sets, the parallels of the 2015 set are by far the hardest to notice. If not for the Stadium Club logo in the bottom right, I'd probably not notice any of them at all.

#108 2016 Topps Gypsy Queen Richie Shaffer
I chose this Richie Shaffer card as the last card of the page due to how much I love the alternate powdered blue Rays jersey. I'm not quite certain what Richie Shaffer has done since this card was made in 2016, but I do know what Gypsy Queen has done and I do not like it. I really wish they'd go back to how their sets were from 2011-2016.

1 comment:

  1. On the subject of bad teams, that doesn't even consider the Mets who are at .410 despite having started the season 11-1. Since then they've been awful.

    I agree with you on the Rays fauxbacks (as the folks at Uni Watch call fake throwbacks). That's my fave card of the page.

    ReplyDelete