Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My 2018 NL All-Star Game Starters

Yesterday, I ironed out a few kinks and finally determined my 2018 All-Star Game ballot for both leagues. I started off by showing the 9 American League starters I chose, so I thought it was only fair to announce my National League choices the day after.

Unlike the American League, there is no vote for the NL, mainly because the NL still has never implemented the DH and likely never will. With that being said, the NL All-Star team still has a DH in the starting lineup and has for many years now, a decision I assume is made by the manager which is Dave Roberts this year so long as the managers are still the managers from the previous pennant-winning team.

Now, without a DH I might as well begin with the Catcher position. I've chosen Buster Posey behind the plate due to his continued consistency thus far in the 2018 season. Posey has never had a full season where he hasn't been an All-Star, and with his .306 batting average and 23 RBI so far this season, it seems likely that he'll keep the streak up. Granted, there's always Yadier Molina and young Catcher Wilson Contreras waiting in the wings, but for now, the Catcher position is Posey's.

Moving on to 1st base but keeping it with the Giants, I've selected Brandon Belt, as long as he's healthy, to start in the All-Star game. He currently has appendicitis, but I'm pretty sure he'll be ready come July 17th to play in the All-Star game. Belt is currently hitting like crazy. With 31 RBI and a .307 average under his belt so far (pun intended), he appears ready to have the best season of his career. He certainly can and deserves to capitalize on that by making it to Washington this July. 

Javier Baez and Ozzie Albies help to make the competition for 2nd baseman tough, and I do think both of them should be voted All-Stars as well. But in terms of starters, I'm picking Scooter Gennett all the way. Gennett is 3rd in baseball in batting average, trailing only Mookie Betts and another guy who I also am voting for who's on this ballot (he will be revealed later). He's tied for 7th in baseball with 41 RBI and is currently ahead of guys like Bryce Haper while tied with none other than Aaron Judge.

I'm usually not a big fan of voting for guys with a low batting average like Trevor Story's (.249), but to be honest, the competition from all the other NL 2nd basemen isn't enough for me to change my mind. Story has 41 RBI, just like Gennett. Furthermore, he also has 11 homers and even 8 stolen bases. As long as he can get his average to around .260 ish by the All-Star game, I will not change my mind or my vote for Story.

First back to back Giants now back to back Colorado Rockies as Nolan Arenado is the 4th, but not the final, player representing the NL West on my ballot. We all know what Nolan Arenado is capable of, and he's doing exactly that so far this season. A .327 batting average along with an OPS of 1.001 which is 6th in all of baseball. From 2015-2017, Arenado made the All-Star team, finished top 10 in MVP voting, won a Gold Glove, and won a Silver Slugger in each of those 3 years. He seems pretty likely to extend that streak to 4 given his track record so far in 2018.



I feel like I'm back in 2011, because why else would I be considering Matt Kemp and Nick Markakis for the All-Star team, much less the starting lineup? Oh yeah, it's because they're both in the top 5 in all of baseball in batting average. They have both been quite possibly the biggest surprises in baseball, particularly Kemp who was rumored to be released or sent to the minors this season, not play, let alone as well as he has been.

As for Corey Dickerson, I will never understand why the Rays designated him for assignment over the offseason. He was a starter for the AL in 2017 and looks like he could fit the DH role well for the NL in 2018, freeing up space for another outfielder.

Notice how I didn't vote for Bryce Harper? That's right, he may have 18 homers and over 40 RBI, but his pitiful .233 batting average is far worse than Trevor Story's. So if I had doubts about voting for Story, then Bryce Harper doesn't have much of a shot.






1 comment:

  1. Not even a mention of the best hitter in the NL? :p
    Freeman snub.

    ReplyDelete