Friday, August 17, 2018

Top 5 Cards: Miguel Cabrera

Besides the ones I've been watching play for the Red Sox and Cubs for years, there are certain other MLB players that I've taken a liking to ever since I first started watching baseball. Among all those players, we have Tigers 1st baseman Miguel Cabrera.

Unfortunately for Miggy, he's not the tier 1 talent that he used to be. His .249 batting average in 2017 was by far his lowest single-season total. He was on pace to have a bounce-back 2018 season but was injured back in June and was declared out for the rest of the 2018 season. Cabrera needs 35 more home runs to join the 500 club. So, 2 more decent seasons with 18 home runs each year will land him in the exclusive group.

I currently have 67 cards of Miguel Cabrera, which is pretty ironic considering that 1967 was the last time a player won the Triple Crown before he did it back in 2012. Anyway, here are my 5 favorite cards of Miggy.

#5 2009 Bowman Chrome
I guess I'm just a sucker for the World Baseball Classic jerseys making it onto baseball cards because I always rave about these type of cards everytime I see them. Although these chrome cards are quick to collect dust and my card does have some scratches on it, that does not take away from how unique this card is, even down to the WBC logo in the bottom right corner. Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see these jerseys in Stadium Club or one of today's Topps sets.

#4 2006 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Update
Going into this post, I knew I had to include at least one card showing Cabrera as a member of the Florida Marlins. I've always liked seeing Miggy sporting the Marlins team colors, and I must say there were more options available for Marlins Miguel Cabrera cards than I originally thought. In the end, I really was a huge fan of the 2006 Upper Deck Sweet Spot design and the way the Marlins teal team color looks on the card. 

#3 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber
If Panini's looking to pay tribute to past Donruss sets, why not take a shot at the Leather & Lumber set. Although it only lasted a couple years, I've always liked the design of the Donruss Leather & Lumber set because of how much it embodies what the set name is and what it's about. Once again, the Marlins teal team color looks great on this card, and the black jersey that Cabrera is wearing for on this card works perfectly with the rest of the details.

#2 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces
Along with Topps Gypsy Queen and Fleer Greats of the Game, I always seem to include an Upper Deck Masterpieces card on my top 5 cards posts when I have one available, especially the canvas-style cardstock used for the 2008 set. Not only does the well-captured art look like a photo that would be used in Topps Stadium Club, but each and every part of the card is detailed and pretty much perfected. If you're unfamiliar with the set, cards like this are what you can expect from the near masterpiece that is 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces.

#1 2015 Topps Stadium Club True Colors Refractor
Besides the fact that Topps could seriously profit from a separate Stadium Club Chrome set, these True Colors inserts from 2015 Topps Stadium Club are absolutely stunning. The color combinations are nothing short of incredible, and the rest of the card is minimal, allowing for the background and picture of Cabrera to be the stars of the card. So far, I've only seen Miguel Cabrera in this insert set, but I will always have my eyes open for any others that I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment