Sunday, August 12, 2018

Celebrating 1 Year The Same Way I Started Off

Exactly one year ago today around this time, I had just gotten home from my LCS with packs of cards from the 2017 National Baseball card day promotion. An idea that had come into my head before came back to me while looking over these cards. "Why not start a baseball card blog?" I asked myself.

If there was a perfect day to start, it was National Baseball Card Day. So, I figured out how to work the scanner on my printer and got to scanning, cropping, and writing, a process I've done 292 times (including today) since that day. August 12th, 2017.

My first ever post on Cardboard Greats can be found here. It's likely filled with grammar mistakes, typos, and mediocre writing, but nevertheless, it's how this blog began. Since that day, I'd like to say my writing has improved tremendously and my posts have been gradually getting better since I started blogging.

Just so everything can come full circle, I'm celebrating my 1-year blogiversary with 2 packs of National Baseball Card Day cards, the same way I began the blog 1 year ago. The cards are from the same card shop that I visited last year and returned to yesterday for the exclusive packs as well as some supplies.

Pack #1

#30 Max Scherzer
Here's the set design for those of you who haven't seen it yet. Like the past 2 years of this promotion, the base set isn't anything too thrilling, but that's exactly what we've come to expect. Considering the cards are free and exclusive to this one special day, I don't think anyone cares too much about how the cards look. 

#25 Jake Arrieta
Just like the 2017 NBCD promotion, the checklist is 30 cards with 1 player from each team represented. I distinctly remember the 2017 Phillies player chosen, Maikel Franco. This year, the choice was their offseason pitching acquisition, Jake Arrieta who could win his 10th start as a Philadelphia Phillie later today.

#13 Kevin Kiermaier
This year, I decided not to spend $10 on Topps products to get the free promo card which was Aaron Judge this year. Last year's option, Mike Trout, appealed to me a lot more. Not only am I not super interested in Aaron Judge cards (only partly), but I also am trying to not spend any money on cards for at least another month after coming back from The National. I heard there's a Rhys Hoskins exclusive card available starting August 25th with a $10 purchase. I'll have to see about that one.

#2 Mookie Betts
Yes! I was able to pick up the Red Sox card of the set which happens to be Mookie Betts this year. In last year's set, the Red Sox represented was ace Chris Sale. But after a scorching start to the 2018 season and maintained consistency, Mookie Betts seems like the best choice. He also seems like the #1 choice for AL MVP as he is currently hitting an astonishing .351 with 27 homers, 62 RBI, and even 23 stolen bases.

#28 Buster Posey
The first pack delivered cards of 3 players I collect in Jake Arrieta, Mookie Betts, and now Buster Posey. Speaking of Posey, the 31-year old catcher has been putting up consistent numbers for years now, especially since recovering from his injury back in 2011. He's a career .307 hitter and the winner of 4 Silver Sluggers and 1 Gold Glove award. If he continues with strong defensive and offensive performances for a few more years, a plaque in Cooperstown could be awaiting the 3-time World Series Champion.

Pack #2

#7 Salvador Perez
Pack #2 starts off with a card of yet another player I collect, Royals catcher Salvador Perez. If nothing else, I'm glad that the image chosen of Perez includes the light blue alternate home jerseys. To me, nothing else about the Royals is more recognizable than this color.

#27 Hunter Renfroe
I have to say, I was quite surprised to see Hunter Renfroe chosen for the Padres' spot on the checklist over Wil Myers. Even though he's had multiple stints on the DL this year, Myers is still the most recognizable Padre along with Eric Hosmer who would also have been a good option. With that being said, Renfroe is a young player who's having a solid year, and could ideally be the 3rd star player on that San Diego team.

#24 Amed Rosario
New York Mets shortstop Amed Rosario's card is the only rookie card I pulled out of either of the 2 5-card packs. The young bright spot of the Mets' future, Rosario may only be hitting .235 so far this season, but given that he's only 22 years old, there is still time for him to become an improved contact hitter.

#9 Joe Mauer
The Minnesota Twins are a team that never fails to confuse me. In 2016, they were the worst team in baseball with a sub .400 winning percentage. Last year, all their young players saw a boost in performance and they made it to the AL Wild Card game. This year, 2017 stars like Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, and Brian Dozier have all declined big time, resulting in them getting far less for Dozier in a trade than they would have back when he was first rumored in 2016. Now, Joe Mauer was selected to represent Minnesota in this years' NBCD set.

#4 Edwin Encarnacion
Of all the players chosen to represent their teams, I'm most confused as to why Edwin Encarnacion was chosen for the Cleveland Indians. Granted, he's a very good slugger, but wouldn't you think Francisco Lindor or Jose Ramirez would be better options? Those 2 players will likely be in the MVP discussion and are both fantastic contact hitters, power hitters, and have excellent speed and defensive abilities. 

Lastly, I would like to say an enormous thank you to you, the viewers, for supporting me and this little card blog over the last year. Whether you viewed, commented, traded, or did anything at all to show your support, I really, from the bottom of my heart, appreciate it. It means so much to me knowing that this community is so supportive and full of people who share the same wild and crazy hobby as me.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me out over the last year. Here's to the many, many years to come.

2 comments: