Thursday, October 25, 2018

Frankenset Page 25

In between games 3 and 4 of the 2018 World Series, I finally have a day to catch up on sleep before the marathon that will be game 3 from Los Angeles starts tonight.

I personally think the 8:00 prime time start is ridiculous for World Series games for a number of reasons. 

1. There is nothing wrong with starting at 7:00 which also gives more people the chance to watch the entire game. 2. Considering MLB has been attempting to get more kids into baseball, starting games at the bedtime of little kids and having it end past the time many teenagers go to sleep, especially on school notes, isn't helping them gain more viewers.

Ideally, World Series games would start at 7:00 or earlier eastern standard time. It's especially tough for east coast fans of teams in the Fall Classic since you have longer matchups ending well past 12:00 am if they go into extra innings. Even if they don't, you're looking at an end time of at least 11:30.

I'll probably be going to bed early tonight in anticipation of the next 2 Fall Classic games on Friday and Saturday. Before that, I have the 25th page of my frankenset ready to show, featuring cards 217-225.

#217 1984 Topps Alan Ashby
Although I always prefer to see the rainbow Houston Astros jerseys on 70's and 80's Astros cards, the image of catcher Alan Ashby bunting on his 1984 Topps card helps to make up for it. Seeing past years of Flagship cards feature interesting works of photography only makes me wish all the more that today's Topps sets would choose more interesting photos.

#218 1989 Pacific Baseball Legends 2nd Series
Showing Casey Stengel as manager of the New York Yankees is clearly the more obvious choice for the 1989 Pacific Baseball Legends set, and I must say I'm left wondering why Pacific decided to show him as manager of the Mets instead. Like most every decision, I'm sure there's some kind of reason behind it.

#219 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Melvin Mora
Even as recently as the early 2000's, brands were coming up with brand new set designs that additionally featured intriguing color combinations fairly reminiscent of the bold combos Topps came up with beginning in the late 50's. Nowadays, Topps appeals more towards the modern crowd which can be a good thing, but usually means we're shut out of the possibility of cards like this being made.

#220 2010 Topps National Chicle Dale Murphy
To be completely honest, I have no idea how to pronounce the name of this art set, let alone what the name is supposed to mean. All I know is that 2010 Topps National Chicle is another art set made by Topps along with Gallery, 205, 206, and a couple others that were unable to last longer than a couple years, or in the case of this set, only 1 year.

#221 1991 Sporting News Conlon Collection Joe Vosmik
This is roughly the 3rd page in a row that's included a card from the Sporting News Conlon Collection on it, an example of a perfect set to include in something like a frankenset. Considering how many doubles I pulled from the box of this I bought from the show a couple years ago, I can't say I'm all that surprised to see them make the frankenset.

#222 1960 Topps Al Lopez
It's cards like these that make me miss the days when managers would get their own cards in Topps sets. Granted, I believe they were included in Topps products on and off for a while, but it's been at least a decade or so since a manager got their own card in a Topps Flagship set. At least, as far as I know.

#223 1968 Topps Ollie Brown
If you've been viewing my frankenset post since I started them back in March, you know it's fairly uncommon for more than 1 vintage card to appear on a single page. Not only did 2 of them make the 25th page of the frankenset, both they're from 2 of my favorite Topps sets ever made, those being 1960 and 1968.

#224 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes Manny Sanguillen
Seeing this eye-catching all-black Pirates jersey with a bit of gold on it as well makes me wonder why I never saw this uniform make it to cardboard before or after seeing this Manny Sanguillen card for the first time. It could be that they only wore these jerseys for special games or a limited number of seasons, but they're still some of the best uniforms I've ever seen in my life.

#225 2017 Topps Gypsy Queen Jose De Leon
Back when I created this frankenset, 2017 Topps Gypsy Queen had just been released and I remember taking a strong liking to the gorgeous background on Jose De Leon's rookie card. Well over 1 year later, I still feel the exact same way about card #225 in my frankenset. 

1 comment:

  1. Chicle is the sticky stuff chewing gum is made from. It rhymes with "nickel".

    Great page! I think I have to pick the Al Lopez as my favorite--what a beaut. But so many nice cards on this page.

    ReplyDelete