Monday, October 29, 2018

I Still Have No Words

The Boston Red Sox just won the World Series. I don't think I've ever been happier to write a sentence before in my life than I was just now. I have no words, truly none.

By the time the game ended last night, it was far too late for my brain to work and write up a post, but I went to bed with the best feeling in the world other than the fact that my neighbors probably heard my screams of joy as Chris Sale struck out the always classy Manny Machado for the final out of the game.

I've spent the whole entire day pondering these feelings. Remembering the events of this historic fan, I finally realized how dedicated of a fan I was, watching countless games unfold. However, I wasn't quite as dedicated as a couple people I talked to today who said they made the journey to the Red Sox team store in Boston at 12:00 am for Red Sox World Series apparel. 

Now that's dedication.

I knew this team was special ever since Eduardo Nunez (who wasted no time in picking up his player option today) hit an inside-the-park home run on Opening Day in Tampa Bay. Ever since each and every member of this team has impressed me on numerous occasions with 2 of them being frontrunners for AL MVP. 

It was either Dave Dombrowski or Alex Cora who called this team the best Red Sox team ever. Truly a bold statement, but one that's very hard to disagree with. As a fan, it's been a long time since I've seen a team this good, and I'm honestly still in shock about the whole thing.

Due to Craig Kimbrel's struggles with his pitch count in the playoffs this far, I can't say it shocked me to see Chris Sale on the mound in the bottom of the 9th. A last minute decision to switch the starters proved to be a genius move as David Price was nothing short of magnificent and Chris Sale was lights out for those last 3 Dodgers hitters.

However, it's important for me to give recognition to the Dodgers for another outstanding season. From what I've seen from this team throughout 2018, they were truly the best out of the National League with an excellent balance of veterans and stars. With Corey Seager set to return in 2019 after missing nearly all of this year and Walker Buehler being the phenom he is, it wouldn't shock me to see the Dodgers back in the Fall Classic in 2019.

Seriously, if you haven't seen Walker Buehler pitch yet, you're missing out. He is an absolute flamethrower on the mound at the age of just 24. He's definitely a huge part of LA's future.

Don't let this shiny new trophy distract, the Red Sox are about to embark on an offseason that could change up their team, big time. For starters, their closer Craig Kimbrel is a free agent and although he wasn't as sharp in 2018, he's fundamental for their team. Next up is Joe Kelly, also a free agent, and his 100 mph fastball out of the bullpen has been very underappreciated all season.

Our midseason acquisitions, Nathan Eovaldi and World Series MVP Steve Pearce are also free agents, and the postseason helped give them more recognition for their respective abilities. I'm praying that Boston is able to re-sign both of them back given what they've done for the team since joining in July.

Oh, and last night's hero, David Price, has an opt-out after this year. Although he stated a month or so ago that he has no intentions of leaving, you never know when it comes to baseball.

But for now, I have no worries. There's nothing that can distract me from the pure joy I'm feeling right now.

The Red Sox are World Champions, and that's all that needs to be said right now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still in a fog from it all, exhausted and excited and relieved. Can't manage to post anything of my own yet but I'll get there. Glad to see you were able to post something - and it's fitting that Machado would make the last out :D

    Yes, the off-season will be a bumpy ride..but the crown belongs to Boston once again. GO SOX!!!

    ReplyDelete