Wednesday, April 24, 2019

My Gypsy Queen & Bowman Splurge Part 2

After using yesterday's post to recap the highlights from the blaster boxes and value packs of 2019 Topps Gypsy Queen that I opened, it's time for me to pick up where I left off. After all, I used the Target coupon to splurge on 2 different products; Gypsy Queen as well as 2019 Bowman.

Admittedly, I was disappointed with the 2 hobby packs of Bowman that I opened pretty soon after it was released last week. Because Bowman hobby packs can be fairly expensive, I was hoping for something a little more exciting than what I actually pulled.

Regardless, I'd seen enough box breaks on YouTube to know that it is possible to luck out with 2019 Bowman. There's a surplus of prospect parallels, chrome and paper, and a wide variety of inserts as well. I didn't want to invest the majority of these funds on Bowman, so I decided on 4 value packs.

Each value pack of 2019 Bowman contains 2 standard 12-card packs from the set. Moreover, there's also a 5-card pack of exclusive green parallels in each value pack just like there was for Gypsy Queen. 

However, in an effort to keep these posts a little shorter, I'll be showcasing all the retail-exclusive parallels in a blog post tomorrow. 

As far as the Bowman product is concerned, veterans and rookies have very little importance. Although these cards have paper parallels, the veteran base cards in Bowman don't have a huge purpose. Granted, I can add some to my player collections, but that's about it.

When you're talking about a prospect-based set, especially standard Bowman, the 150-card prospect checklist is far more important than the 100 veterans and rookies, especially since this year's rookie class isn't too strong.

In addition to pulling my fair share of veteran base cards, I ended up with an abundance of rookie cards, 26 of them to be exact. Considering that I pulled 96 total cards from my 8 Bowman base packs, this is pretty shocking and a little concerning,

Like I just mentioned, the 2019 MLB rookie class isn't too strong. It's not like 2018 when pulling 26 rookies would likely entail cards of Ohtani, Torres, and Soto. This year, the best rookie cards that I pulled were of Luis Urias and Jeff McNeil.

I'm not trying to bash those guys or their talent, but it just goes to show how Topps' obsession with rookies can have its drawbacks

While I was on the hunt for set needs and PC additions while opening 2019 Topps Gypsy Queen, 2019 Bowman was an entirely different story. I may not be the most knowledgeable prospect collector, but that didn't steer my primary focus away from prospect cards during this break.

I usually pulled 3-4 Bowman paper cards per pack, allowing me to land some pretty respectable names. Again, with a set like Bowman, you never quite know if the player will end up a superstar or not.

4 years from now, Joey Bart could be an MVP catcher for the San Francisco Giants, or he could be a huge bust who's no longer in the MLB. You just have to be patient, tuck the cards away in a binder, and simply wait and see what happens.

Though I wasn't super familiar with a lot of the 1st Bowman prospects, I recognized a solid number of paper prospects from past Bowman sets like 2017 Draft and 2018 Bowman's Best. 

Although a player's subsequent Bowman prospect card won't be as valuable as their 1st Bowman card, it can be entertaining to build up a timeline of a player's prospect cards. This'll be especially rewarding if the player makes it big in the MLB just like the 4 players above are expected to do.

Appearing only twice per pack, chrome prospect cards are incredibly sought after every year that Bowman is released, likely because they also include an excessive range of colored refractors. In particular, 1st Bowman Chrome cards hold a lot of value, especially if you land a big name prospect.

Out of the 16 chrome prospect cards that I pulled, only 3 of them were 1st Bowman players, the best of which is likely Blaze Alexander of the Arizona Diamondbacks. 

I may not have come across the best 1st Bowman cards in this box, but I've lucked out before with the limited Bowman packs that I've actually opened. Back in 2017, I landed an Acuna paper and chrome 1st Bowman card in the same mega box.

Fernando Tatis Jr is already in the major leagues, meaning this is the final Bowman card of the 20-year old Padres infielder. Alongside shortstop Manny Machado, Tatis is tearing it up in the big leagues, and I fully expect him to become a star. 

He was also featured in 2018 Bowman's Best, so I've become familiar with him over the last few months. He, along with Pete Alonso, seems like the frontrunner for the 2019 NL Rookie of the Year award.

Out of all the chrome stock insert sets, Ready For the Show was the least interesting to me going into this retail purchase. Of course, that meant that I'd pull more of these cards than any other insert set. 

I did end up with some decent players like Forrest Whitley and Triston McKenzie, but there are a couple other insert sets that I much prefer, though I applaud Topps for the concept behind these cards.

As if the chrome cardstock wasn't enough, the black borders and bright backgrounds on both of these cards makes them all the more sleek and modern looking. Both of these insert sets have been featured in Bowman for the last few seasons as they give collectors an insight as to the best rookies and prospects in the game.

Specifically, I'm a huge fan of the Bowman Scouts Top 100 prospect cards as I am every single year that Bowman is released. Not only is this year's design fantastic, but the players in the checklist are incredibly talented. 

Guys like Vlad Jr and Jo Adell highlight an incredibly talented group of 100 players and help create a perfect insert set for collectors who like prospects and set building.

Considering that I only opened 8 packs of 2019 Bowman, I was thrilled to land a serial numbered parallel, especially a chrome stock card. Falling at 1:100 packs, the speckle refractors prove just how difficult it can be to land a numbered prospect card in Bowman, for you'd have to open around 100 packs to land a card numbered to 299.

Taylor Widener wouldn't have been my top choice for a numbered refractor, but he is the #78 prospect in Baseball, something that I just learned today. He's been playing very well in the minors and is expected to make his debut this year. Alright, Taylor Widener, I'll be on the lookout for you.

Like the Gypsy Queen break, however, the best card from the 4 value packs of 2019 Bowman wasn't even a question. I was absolutely thrilled to pull a 1st Bowman paper card of Wander Franco, in the same value pack as the Widener card, come to think. 

Given how much money Franco's autographs are selling for, I figure his 1st Bowman paper card will be worth a pretty penny. However, because it's not serial numbered, I think I'm going to hold onto it and wait and see what he does.

If Franco goes on a tear like Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, and Rhys Hoskins did, I may end up selling this card. However, as is typically the case with Bowman, I'm going to have to wait and see what happens with Franco, Widener, and everyone else whose prospect card I pulled.

1 comment:

  1. Bowman is always a fun product, because you can throw them in a box and a few years later there's always at least one or two guys who have blossomed into stars.

    ReplyDelete