Saturday, April 27, 2019

Top 5 Cards; Carlton Fisk

Ever since I started writing top 5 cards posts, I've tried to include as many different Boston Red Sox players as possible. After all, I collect more Red Sox players than guys from any other MLB team, and I'm constantly purchasing new cards to boost those PC totals.

Since I started blogging back in August of 2017, I've attempted a balance between current and retired players for my top 5 cards posts, especially as far as the Boston Red Sox are concerned. I've made lists for Boston legends like Wade Boggs and Jim Rice along with rising stars like Andrew Benintendi and Rafael Devers.

The 2 notable exceptions are David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, my 2 largest Boston Red Sox player collections. Now that both players have reached silver tier status with over 200 cards in each respective PC, it's as good a time as any to put together a post for these 2 sluggers. 

Perhaps those will come in the near future, whenever I'm ready to write my 2 subsequent top 5 cards posts. With hundreds of options to choose from for each player, those posts will be interesting to compose and create.

In the meantime, I have another Red Sox legend to write a top 5 cards post for, catcher Carlton Fisk. Throughout his career with Boston, Fisk maintained a .284 batting average, hit 162 home runs, and hit one of the biggest home runs in Baseball history during a World Series that made Baseball popular once more.

Fisk's legacy as a member of the Boston Red Sox and a Baseball player, in general, is unquestionable. That's part of the reason how and why I've amassed 121 total cards of the 11-time All-Star. As always, it was a challenge to narrow all those cards down to my 5 favorites; here they are.

#5 2002 Topps Archives
I could've sworn that I had an original 1977 Topps card of Carlton Fisk, a card that would've most definitely beaten out the '02 Archives version for a spot on this list. With that being said, I was unable to find the previously mentioned card when I went to compile the list. Alas, the reproduction version will have to do.

The Archives card just looks like the original version; a compelling picture of a play at the plate between Fisk and #30 on a team that could possibly be the New York Yankees. If the photo isn't enough, the 1977 Topps design is a perfect medium for this untraditional image.

#4 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces
As far as I know, Fisk has 2 different cards from the 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces set. The 1st is a fabulous card that shows him as a member of the Chicago White Sox. Unfortunately, it was no match for this beautiful take on Fisk's home run in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series.

Truthfully, cards that commemorate Fisk's World Series home run are a dime a dozen, so it takes a truly special interpretation for there to be a standout. The angle on this card is a pretty unique touch, propelling this card to the #4 spot on my list.

#3 1974 Topps All-Star catchers
The only card from the 20th century featured on this list, Fisk's 1974 Topps All-Star catchers card with Johnny Bench showcases 2 of the greatest players to ever play this position. In addition to showcasing 2 incredibly talented players, the bright colors on this 70s style card is a near-perfect accompaniment. 

#2 2010 Topps National Chicle
Another interesting take on Fisk's legendary home run, his 2010 Topps National Chicle card doesn't really feature the iconic hand signals Fisk made to "wave" the ball fair. This artistic approach, although abstract, still features Boston's iconic home uniforms that they wore across the 1970s.

Even though there are a few details that could be refined on this card, I appreciate Topps' efforts to create a unique version of this moment, just like what Upper Deck did back in 2008. 

#1 2003 Fleer Fall Classic
I don't think Fleer could've chosen more of a unique color than turquoise for the border of the 2003 Fleer Fall Classic base cards. In tangent with a copper frame around the image, the color choice is borderline brilliant, and the beautiful Red Sox home uniforms are back once again.

Although I'm a huge fan of all the other cards on this list, this '03 Fall Classic photo is the only true high-quality image on this list. While all the other pictures work well with their respective cards, the photo on this particular Carlton Fisk card is more than enough to earn the #1 spot on this list.

2 comments:

  1. That picture on the ‘77 Fisk is indeed against the Yankees. Consensus is it’s from July 24, 1976 and the sliding runner is Willie Randolph. http://playattheplatedude.blogspot.com/2010/05/play-at-plate-19-willie-randolph-vs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a solid Top 5. Masterpieces and Chicle are two of my favorite sets in the last decade or so. And that pairing of Fisk and Bench is fantastic. But the 77T card (or Archives version) is hands down my favorite card of Fisk. Just a beautiful action shot.

    ReplyDelete