Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Best 30 Cards From All 30 Teams; NL West

From the very beginning of this mini-series, which was roughly 2 1/2 weeks ago, I've had a blast writing these posts for the best 30 cards from all 30 MLB teams in my Baseball card collection.

Even though it's taken longer than expected to arrive at the final post in this mini-series, these rankings by each MLB division have given me more insight into my actual card collection. 

In some instances, there were a plethora of options that could earn the spot as "best card" for a particular team. Other times, the selection was limited, so I had to be creative and choose a card that might not be as valuable, but a card that I appreciate, nevertheless.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to see each card from all 30 teams in 1 post together, so I might create something like that later today or tomorrow. I likely won't include much or any text. Instead, I'll probably treat it as a gallery of sorts with only pictures of the best card in my collection from each MLB team. 

As you can tell, we've arrived at the 6th and final division in all of Baseball; the NL West. The 6 teams included in this post are quite different from one another, more so than most divisions in Baseball. 

There's a ton of history in respect to some teams in this division (Giants and Dodgers) while other franchises are fairly new (Rockies and Diamondbacks).

As I did for every other team and division, I selected the best Baseball card in my collection for every team in the NL West. Now, here they all are, compiled into 1 final post to end this mini-series on a high note.

Arizona Diamondbacks
If Topps ever decides to produce a Heritage Chrome set, featuring exclusively chrome cards, I would 100% support that decision. Although they've become rarer over the last few years due to how much Heritage Topps makes, the chrome cards within this set are downright beautiful, especially the Paul Goldschmidt card above.

The Heritage Chrome card above is a blue refractor from 2017, numbered out of just 68 copies because it replicates the 1968 Topps set. Although they've gone with black over the last few years, there's something beautiful about this light blue chrome card.

I pulled this card myself out of a box of 2017 Topps Heritage in what was one of the greatest Heritage sets ever produced, in my opinion. Then, I chose to have the card graded by Beckett, and I'm quite content with the grade of 9 (mint).

Colorado Rockies
Like the Diamondbacks, I don't have an insane vintage card or autograph to represent the Colorado Rockies on this countdown. Instead, I have a humble yet beautiful relic card of the greatest Rockies player of all-time, Todd Helton.

Like the Goldschmidt chrome card, I pulled the Todd Helton card from a hobby box, this time a 2002 Topps 206 box that I purchased at the Baseball card show with my Dad. The standout element of the card is definitely the purple jersey swatch, an excellent color to go along with the mini card from the Topps 206 set.

While I appreciate how they look, I'm usually indifferent towards framed relic cards or autographs like the one above. With that being said, there's something different about Helton's card that I admire, and that's what drove my decision to select this jersey relic for the Rockies spot on the list.

Los Angeles Dodgers
Arguably, there's never been a better time to have an autograph rookie card of Cody Bellinger, even taking the hot streaks from his 2017 rookie season into account. Currently, the 23-year old is leading the MLB in batting average, something that he's been doing since the season basically began.

Although he's cooled down as of late, Bellinger remains a hot commodity, and, as a result, this autograph has earned the spot as the greatest Dodgers card in my collection. 

The signature and the Allen & Ginter set design are an excellent pair, and it's made better by the fact that this BGS 9.5 graded rookie card also has a 10 auto. Clearly, the way Bellinger's been playing so far in 2019, nothing could come close to topping this rookie auto and appearing on this countdown.

San Diego Padres
There's a lot to take into account when discussing this Dave Winfield autograph from 2010 Panini Century Baseball. There's a stamp, an autograph, and an insanely busy card with numerous elements. 

However, the main points are as follows; this is a certified on-card autograph of Dave Winfield, and it's numbered out of just 10 copies on the back. This, another Baseball card show pickup, was another easy decision to get graded towards the end of last year.

Truth be told, I don't have another card in my collection quite like this Dave Winfield autograph, and that's not something that can be stated about the majority of Baseball cards that I own. It's unique, Panini did an excellent job with the design, and, overall, the card is simply sensational.

San Francisco Giants
Granted, I could've gone with a number of different Juan Marichal or Willie McCovey relic cards for the San Francisco Giants' spot on this countdown. However, the task was to showcase the greatest card from each MLB team, and this 1967 Topps combo card is 100% the best Giants card that I own.

When I think of Mays and McCovey, this stellar Fence Busters card immediately comes to mind. It highlights everything that I love about the '67 Topps set as well as these 2 Hall of Fame sluggers.

Every single detail, the green text, the crisp jerseys, their bats on their shoulders, is absolutely meticulous. I don't even have many cards from the 1967 Topps set, yet this card makes me want to collect more of it and collect more cards from all vintage sets, for that matter.

If a single Baseball card is capable of doing that, how can I not give it the #1 spot on this list?

Well, that does it for the best cards from all 30 MLB teams mini-series. I hope you all enjoyed this mini-series as much as I have, and if you want to use the idea for your own blog, feel free. Trust me, these lists are incredibly entertaining to compile.

4 comments:

  1. The Fence Busters card is a classic, but that Bellinger is a gem! Nice job, I really enjoyed this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I love that Fence Busters card! I've gotta add a copy to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I forgot that you pulled that Bellinger auto a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Winfield auto sure is something! I'm a fan of busy cards, and that one's got all kinds of busy going on :)

    ReplyDelete