Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Frankenset Page #56

Next up in the frankenset page series is #56 in the 74-page binder. With this page, we will reach and surpass card #500 in the set, indicating how much progress I've made with this series since I commenced it back in March of 2018.

Specifically, this page includes cards #496-504, spanning 5 total decades (1970s-2010s). Without any further adieu, let's get the 56th frankenset page started. Apologies in advance for the fact that 7/9 cards on this page are from various Topps Flagship sets.

#496 2012 Topps Heritage Josh Johnson
Before Topps Heritage added 25 more SP base cards to the checklist, cards #425-500 in the base set were short prints, reserved for the best players in Baseball. Upon seeing Josh Johnson's 2012 Topps Heritage card (#496), I remembered how dominant he was for a couple years.

Johnson was a 2-time All-Star with the then Florida Marlins and even finished 5th in NL Cy Young voting back in 2010 when he had a 2.30 ERA. Over the course of 8 years with the Marlins, he maintained a respectable 3.15 ERA with 832 strikeouts across 900 innings pitched.

However, Johnson was one of the Marlins players included in the blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays following the 2012 season, and after just 80 innings with Toronto, he never played in another MLB game.

#497 1989 Score Carmen Castillo
Much like the Baltimore Orioles' teams from the first half of the 2010s, it appears as if the Cleveland Indians' window for winning a World Series has closed. Though they've won their division each of the last 3 years, the Minnesota Twins seem destined to end that streak in 2019.

Cleveland had a legitimate shot to win the Fall Classic in both 2016 and 2017, but they blew 3-1 and 2-0 leads in the postseason. Now, 3 years after they made a World Series appearance, the Cleveland Indians are nowhere near as talented as they once were. Jose Ramirez has struggled, Francisco Lindor is rumored to be traded, and their lineup is a shadow of its former self.

#498 1974 Topps Pat Corrales
In addition to the exceptional photography throughout the 660-card set, 1974 Topps is widely-recognized for having one of the most iconic rookie cards in Baseball history of another member of the San Diego Padres, Dave Winfield.

Though I don't personally have that rookie card in my collection, I've seen plenty of reprints and originals online, and I wouldn't mind purchasing one myself, say at The National later this year.

Maybe it would be for the Dave Winfield player collection, or maybe I'd use that rookie card as motivation to begin collecting the 1974 Topps set. All I know is that the card isn't outrageously expensive, and I'd love to acquire one for myself.

#499 1991 Topps Melido Perez
More so than practically any other Baseball card set, there appear to be more cards from 1991 Topps in my frankenset. This is due, in large part, to how many cards I have from this product as well as how fabulous some of the shots are in this set.

A couple of years back, I picked up a hobby box of these cards at the Baseball card show for only $5. Inside the stacks of packs, I stumbled upon a ton of stellar cards with incredible photography, from Roger Clemens' card in front of the Green Monster to Melido Perez's simple yet effective card showcased above.

The White Sox jersey featured on the card, moreover, is one that I've never seen before. I'm starting to think that this team has had more uniforms than nearly any other club in MLB history.

#500 2016 Topps Albert Pujols
In virtually every Baseball card set, card #500 features a big-name player, usually a power hitter. While I couldn't choose a card of Hank Aaron or Harmon Killebrew for my frankenset, I'm pleased with the 2016 Topps Albert Pujols card that I selected instead.

The 2016 Topps design is certainly flawed, but the actual picture of the future Hall of Famer is quite nice. It's just a shame that he's been deteriorating ever since joining the Los Angeles Angels before the 2012 season. 

The 11 years that he spent with the St. Louis Cardinals were incredibly successful, and he was practically guaranteed a spot in the Hall of Fame before leaving for LA. However, he's only hit .258 since becoming a member of the Angels, and he's under contract through the 2021 season. 

#501 2003 Topps Cristian Guzman
It's hard for me to think of a Baseball card off the top of my head where the photograph was timed better than it was on Cristian Guzman's 2003 Topps card. The image appears to have been taken directly following a slide into a 3rd base in which the infield dirt formed a cloud and blew in the air.

I can't tell which part of the card I like more; the dirt cloud surrounding Guzman himself or the gestures that he's making with his hands. I've never been a huge fan of 2003 Topps, but I, nonetheless, appreciate this particular card.

#502 1978 Topps Pat Rockett
Similar to 2003 Topps, the 1978 Flagship design is far from my favorite due to how pale it seems in comparison with the vibrant and bold sets from the 1970s. With that being said, I chose this card of Braves shortstop Pat Rockett primarily because of the old-school uniform that he's wearing.

More so than any other jersey, I associate the uniform above with Hank Aaron, one of my top 3 favorite players in Baseball history. There are countless cards in my collection that show the true home run king wearing the Braves jersey above, and he was even wearing it when he broke Babe Ruth's all-time record.

#503 2016 Topps Luis Valbuena
I didn't even realize that this card was a part of my frankenset until now, but it's, nonetheless, a tragic card to feature. At just 33 years of age, Valbuena was killed in an ambush in Venezuela towards the end of 2018 along with former major leaguer José Castillo. 

Valbuena played for 5 teams over the course of his MLB career, and his death was one of a number of fatal accidents over a short period of time (Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, and Yordano Ventura).

RIP Luis.

#504 1981 Topps Dale Murphy
Last but certainly not least, the 1981 Topps card of one of the most feared players of the 1980s; Braves slugger and back-to-back NL MVP award winner, Dale Murphy.

From 1980-1987, Murphy was one of the greatest players in all of Baseball. In addition to winning 2 NL MVP awards, he made 7 All-Star appearances and captured 5 Gold Glove awards. He truly was the epitome of a 5-tool player.

However, Murphy wasn't on the same level as his prime seasons both before and after they occurred, and he had some pretty rough years following the 1987 seasons. It's for those reasons that he wasn't able to become a member of the Baseball HOF, though he remains a Braves fan favorite.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, gotta agree that that Guzmán is a fantastic photo. My favorite of the page, but I do like the card of future manager Pat Corrales as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite has to be the Murphy. Just look at that swing... and how he's watching the ball he just launched. That's a thing of beauty. I just wish Topps hadn't cropped off his left toes.

    ReplyDelete