Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Frankenset Page #59

Following my 2-week absence from blogging, I've gradually been getting back into my regular posting schedule. However, I've yet to pick up where I left off with my 74-page frankenset series, so I'll be overviewing the 59th page today.

Featuring cards #523-531, this page dates back to the very beginning of the 1970s and continues through the mid-2010s. I don't want to ramble for too long about anything, in particular, so let's get started with the subsequent page. 

#523 2005 Topps Total Timo Perez
Initially, I had my hopes up after Topps announced the revival of the Topps Total set for the 2019 season, but I was extremely disappointed when I learned that it would be an online exclusive released in "waves." 

Making a product like Topps Total into an online exclusive is not only unnecessary, but it also goes against what the set used to be; an affordable release destined for set builders. Now, it's virtually impossible to complete the Topps Total set because of the new format.

For everyone's sake, I pray that Topps brings back Total once more in 2020 but changes how it's released. I'd love for it to be an inexpensive alternative to Opening Day, similar to Big League and Bunt, with a hobby box format as well.

#524 1987 Topps Bob Shirley
Although I've grown tired of the 1987 Topps set as a whole, there are occasional cards that draw my interest back into the wood-bordered product. There's something about the pairing of Yankee pinstripes with this iconic design that makes for an awesome card, no matter who the player is.

Other times, the set is so redundant and over-produced that I simply lose interest, for it's challenging to stay invested in a product when many of the cards look similar. Thankfully, Topps is finished with 792-card checklists, for the past Flagship sets have had 700 total cards.

#525 2005 Topps Total Austin Kearns
Although I've never opened a pack of Topps Total in my life, I certainly see the appeal of a set like this as well as Upper Deck 40 Man. Especially in today's card collecting world, most sets feature only the brightest stars and rookies, so guys like Reds outfielder Austin Kearns tend to be ignored.

Total should serve as an alternative to Flagship in terms of the number of players featured in the checklist and an alternative to Opening Day as it pertains to the price. One can only hope that Topps will accomplish both of these things in 2020.

#526 2014 Topps Avisail Garcia
Despite how bland some of the 2010s Topps Flagship sets can be, there's always some sensational photography in every one of these sets. A few cards tend to stand out with particular stellar photos, and as far as 2014 Topps is concerned, one of those cards is Avisail Garcia of the White Sox.

In 2017, Garcia hit .330 as was voted onto the AL All-Star team while still with the Chicago White Sox. This stellar performance still baffles me given that the 2nd best batting average in a full season of his career is .257.

#527 1992 Fleer Ultra Bobby Bonilla
Earlier this month, the Baseball world "celebrated" Bobby Bonilla Day, the day in which the New York Mets pay the 6-time All-Star approximately 1 million dollars. These payments will continue through the mid-2030s as part of an alteration of his contract.

I'm sure Bonilla can't complain about this deal, for he earns a million dollars each year without even being on the Mets' roster. To a certain extent, I understand the initial contract, for Bonilla had some stellar seasons in the early 1990s, including an MVP runner-up year in '90.

#528 1975 Topps Eddie Leon
In the case of numerous Topps Flagship sets, if you don't like 1 particular card, then you likely won't like the set as a whole. However, with a set like 1975 Topps, the color combinations differ across the 660-card set.

You may not enjoy the purple and green combo on Eddie Leon's card, featuring the red striped Chicago White Sox uniforms. However, that won't stop you from appreciating some of the other cards in this set, such as Bert Blyleven's red and light blue combination, for example.

It's somewhat rare, as far as Flagship sets are concerned, for the cards to differ so widely because of various color combinations. This typically, however, results in top-notch sets like '72, '75, and 2015.

#529 1970 Topps Bob Aspromonte
I've always loved the silver-bordered 1970 Topps set, but I fear I have too few cards from this product to collect and eventually complete it. In a perfect world, however, 1970 Topps would be the next set that I'd collect.

This year, Topps replicated this set extremely well, as they always do, in Topps Heritage. However, the odds of pulling special variations and hits decreased, resulting in a lackluster product from a value standpoint. 

I still pulled some great cards from the packs that I opened, but it failed to match the precedent that the 2017 and 2018 Topps Heritage releases had established.

#530 1989 Upper Deck Jack McDowell
One of the cards that I'd like to pick up at this year's National is Ken Griffey Jr's iconic rookie card from 1989 Upper Deck, easily one of the most iconic cards in Baseball history. I happen to have his Donruss rookie as well as a few oddballs from his freshman year. 

Obviously, the Upper Deck version is far more sought after. I've seen a few of them in person, but acquiring this card has never really been a priority of mine until now. Griffey Jr is one of my top tier player collections, and I'd love to add a graded version of this iconic card to my collection.

#531 1983 Topps A's Team Leaders
The fact that a .267 batting average and a 4.21 ERA led the 1982 Oakland Athletics team highlights how lackluster that particular squad was. Though they'd go onto have success later in the decade. the 1982 Oakland Athletics finished the year 68-94 which earned them 5th place in the 7-team AL West.

They were far from the worst clubs in baseball that year, for both the Twins and the Reds had 100+ losses. Ultimately, the 92-70 St. Louis Cardinals would go on and win the Fall Classic.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Rickey's .267 batting average led the team? That's bad. Surprised that I didn't know that... since I was into reading those AL Red Books back in the early 80's and the A's were (and still are) my team.

    P.S. Just watched a movie on Netflix called Jack of All Trades and they talked about the 89 UD Griffey a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never opened a pack of Total either...but that will soon change, because I have two packs from 2004 in a stack of hobby packs from that era I picked up at a show a while back.

    I think the 75 Leon is my favorite of this batch, but the Timo and Aspromonte cards are quite nice too.

    ReplyDelete