Sunday, June 17, 2018

Some Stats From Series 2 Topps

When I was heading out of town yesterday and coming back this morning, I happened to pass by a Walmart which usually means I end up buying baseball cards. However, in a shocking display of self-control, I continued driving past the Walmart and did not spend a dime on any more Series 2 Topps cards. 

This likely means I won't buy another pack of the product and I won't be acquiring any of the cards until they end up in the dime bins and again in repack boxes next year. This means that my total number of cards pulled from 2018 Topps Series 2 will likely remain at 60.

So, instead of going out and buying more cards to do this post, I figured why not do it now. Today, I'll be going over some numbers in terms of what I pulled from 2018 Topps Series 2, beginning with everyone's favorite, rookie cards.

I don't know if I was lucky or the rookie card totals of Series 2 are far less than that of Series 1, but I only ended up with 5 rookie cards out of the 60 cards I pulled, 1 of the rookies being Shohei Ohtani. The other cards were, of course, from teams like the Braves and Padres. So if by any chance there's a Padres fan out there looking for a rookie card, I've got you covered though I must say I don't believe I've ever encountered a Padres fan in my life and I say that without much of a doubt.

Surprisingly, the number of Future Stars cards I pulled is nearly equal to that of rookie cards. I ended up pulling the 4 Future Stars cards you see above, 1 of which seems to already be working out as Mitch Haniger seems destined for the All-Star game. As for the other 3, Luke Weaver and Josh Bell could likely become stars if Weaver ups his ERA and Bell improves his batting average. However, I just don't think Manny Margot will pan out given his lackluster performance in his plentiful number of at-bats last season.

When it comes to players I collect, I only walked away with 8 cards that fit into that category, including 2 of the same Dallas Keuchel base card. I truly think the number of cards of players I collect has been decreasing for years now because I certainly remember pulling more cards of players I collect in 2017 Topps and even more in 2016. Even if you bring them all to percentages instead of totals, I really believe that 2018 is far lower than in previous years.

Out of the 3 Diamondbacks cards I pulled, there were 3 different jerseys featured on the cards, highlighting the abundance of different uniforms the Diamondbacks appear to wear and have represented in sets. The all-grey Greinke card was featured in Friday's post as was the gold parallel of Steven Souza Jr's home jersey. It was Yasmany Tomas' red jersey that I just noticed today while planning this post and when I saw that all 3 Dbacks cards featured different uniforms, I found that pretty interesting.

The coolest card goes to, without a doubt, Lucas Giolito and his retro White Sox jersey that I'm very pleased to see making it onto a baseball card. The background is pretty neutral, but it works well with the black and grey sleek colors on the bottom of the card. I really am a fan of the jersey itself, especially what appears to be the players' number on the left pant leg. 

Finally, I couldn't really do a post about numbers of cards from Series 2 without going over the number of cards I pulled from each team. There was actually a 4-way tie for 1st place hence why there are 4 different teams shown above. The Astros, Cardinals, Padres (yippie), and the Rockies all had 4 cards each. Here are the final results.

4 Cards
Astros
Cardinals
Padres
Rockies

3 Cards
Angels
Diamondbacks
Dodgers
Mets
Nationals
Royals
Yankees

2 Cards
Brewers
Cubs
Giants
Mariners
Phillies
Pirates
Reds
Twins

1 Card
Athletics
Braves
Marlins
Orioles
Rangers
Rays
White Sox

No Cards Pulled
Blue Jays
Red Sox (Amazingly no cards of my favorite team. It actually surprised me very much).
Tigers
Indians

No comments:

Post a Comment