Sunday, July 21, 2019

Goals For The 2019 National

Although I'm back to my normal routine for the next week and a half, it's time to get serious about the 2019 National Sports Collectors Convention which is just 10 days away.

Admittedly, The 2019 National definitely snuck up on me. It seems that all of a sudden, the show is right around the corner when I've been anticipating this event for months, ever since the end of last year's show in Cleveland.

As you can tell from my recap posts, I had the time of my life at the 2018 National. I got some in-person autographs, pulled incredible cards from packs, finished the 1975 Topps set short of 1 card, and experienced an event that was unlike anything that I'd seen before in my life.

This year, the show is in Chicago, and I'll have one less day at The National this time around since I'm seeing the Cubs battle the Brewers on Friday, August 2nd. 

At most, I'll have an hour and a half at the show before I head to Wrigley Field, so my Dad and I are going to have to make the most of our 2 full days (Thursday and Saturday) at the show.

Last year, I set 7 goals to accomplish at The National, and I ended up achieving all but one of them (I didn't purchase any 1959 Fleer Ted Williams cards). 

Although I'm not typically a fan of creating goals for Baseball card shows given how unpredictable they can be, I feel that it's necessary for an event at the caliber of The National.

Since I'm going to have 1 less day at the show this time around, I decided to list 6 goals that I'll try to achieve throughout my time at the 2019 National and share them on the blog today.

#1 Focus on player collections but not too extensively
This goal, give or take, was one of the 7 that I sought to accomplish at last year's NSCC show, and that's exactly what I did. Throughout my 3 days at the show in Cleveland, I made a few purchases for my player collections, but I made sure to leave room for want list cards and packs as well.

I specifically remember 1 trip to the dime bins as well as the time when I filled an entire 800-count box, primarily with cards for my various PCs. Other times, I'd buy bargain vintage cards of players that I collect, something that's widely unavailable at the shows I typically attend.

Overall, I'm looking for cards and memorabilia at The National that I can't find easily at home. I'd love to fill another 800-count box of cards featuring players that I collect, but that'll likely be one of my only PC-oriented purchases.

#2 Work on my 2019 Panini Prizm project
After purchasing 2 hobby boxes plus a few retail packs of 2019 Panini Prizm, I concluded that the only way I could continue with this project was to stick to individual purchases of these cards. Thus, one of my missions for The National is to make progress with this slightly crazy project.

The only issue is that I have a spreadsheet that lists what cards I have and don't have, but I can't print out the entire sheet and bring it with me. Therefore, I'm going to have to figure something out when it comes to an inventory of what I have from the set because the last thing I want to do is return home with a bunch of Prizms that I already have.

#3 Buy some 2019 Topps Allen & Ginter and 2019 Topps Chrome
A&G and Chrome, 2 of my top 5 favorite sets (along with Bowman's Best, Panini Chronicles, and Topps Heritage) are both released towards the end of July this year. While Allen & Ginter came out earlier in the week, Topps Chrome will be released on the first day of the NSCC show.

Last year, my Dad and I bought A&G and Chrome at The National, and we had a blast opening the packs both at the show as well as at our hotel. We landed some monster hits out of Chrome, including retail, while Ginter delivered its usual oddities which we cherish. 

Whether it's a blaster box or a hobby purchase, I thoroughly expect to get my hands on packs and individual cards from both of these sets when I get to The National, especially because of Topps' wrapper redemption.

If you purchase a hobby box of any Topps product, you can go to their booth at The National and redeem it for a bonus pack of NSCC-exclusive Bowman Chrome cards. Last year, we pulled gold refractors (numbered /50) of guys like Cody Bellinger, Ken Griffey Jr, and even Ronald Acuna Jr. 

If I get my hands on a hobby box at the show later this month, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll immediately go over to Topps' booth and get my hands on one of these bonus packs once again.

#4 Complete the 1979 Topps set
Currently, I'm missing just 48 cards from the 726-card 1979 Topps set, meaning I'm roughly 93% done with this product. Even though it's challenging to find vendors who sell individual cards from the '79 set, there has to be at least one of them at The National.

This goal could prove to be a challenge, but I'd love to complete the 1979 Topps set while I'm in Chicago. That way, I can begin collecting the '73 set as soon as I get back. I usually have 3 vintage Topps sets that I'm collecting at any given time. 

Completing '79 would not only be a great accomplishment, but it would allow me to continue piecing together various vintage Topps sets, specifically from the 1970s.

#5 Focus on finding cards from the want list
Adding onto the goal of completing 1979 Topps, I'd like to take a ton of cards off my want list throughout my ~2 days at the 2019 NSCC show. I'm always working on multiple vintage sets, insert sets, and modern products, so I'm willing to work on anything as long as it's available and fairly priced.

Last year, I found a ton of bargain cards from 1961 Topps just as I was beginning to lose hope of piecing together that set. Similarly, I picked up a ton of base cards and inserts from 2018 Topps Allen & Ginter. 

Because of the sheer variety of available cards at The National, I don't believe this goal will give me much trouble.

#6 Make a splurge purchase
Back in May when I attended the Memorial Day Mansfield show, I splurged on 2 Red Sox rookie autographs, including the card above of Rafael Devers, numbered 5/25. Recently, he's been swinging one of the hottest bats in baseball, so it appears (knock on wood) that this purchase paid off.

As a result, my 6th and final goal for the 2019 National is to splurge on 1 or 2 cards. Typically, I value quantity over quality, but I know there are going to be some incredible cards at the show later this month.

Maybe this will be my first ever card from 1952 or 1953 Topps. Maybe it'll be a key need from the 1961 Topps set, like Mickey Mantle or Roger Maris. It could even be a big-name autograph that I've been chasing for years.

One of the main purposes of going to The National is to acquire stuff that I can't typically find at the shows and shops where I live. Thus, if there's 1 particular card that impresses me and I think would be perfect for my collection, I may just splurge on it.

Last year, this show totally exceeded my expectations and thoroughly impressed me. All I hope is that the same will be said for The 2019 National because I truly cannot wait to go.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I can help with the Prizm project.
    2. Download the Google Sheets app and you’ll be able to reference your sheet right from your phone. You can even make it available offline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to suggest the same thing.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure to download the Google sheets app.

      Delete
  2. Hope you're able to achieve most, if not all of your goals. It might help to pick one player to focus on, such as Craig Kimbrel, so you're not diverting all of your time and attention too much. I've never been to the National though, and you sound prepared anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun... and best of luck on your goals. Can't wait to read your recap post.

    ReplyDelete