Friday, October 25, 2019

Frankenset Page #68

At this point, I've reached the homestretch when it comes to my frankenset series. After this post, there will be just 7 pages remaining before I move onto my 2nd binder when I'll have another 666 cards to discuss.

Page #68 goes through cards #604-612 with cards spanning 3 different decades. Let's get started with a card from the early 1980s.

#604 1983 Topps Joe Morgan (Super Veteran)
 Showing off the longest-tenured players in the game, the 1983 Topps Super Veteran cards are one of my favorite features in that particular Flagship set. The lineup includes guys like Morgan, Tony Perez, and Nolan Ryan.

On the right is the team that the player was on in 1983 which, for Hall of Famer Joe Morgan, was the San Francisco Giants. On the left is, I believe, the team he made his MLB debut with. In this case, it's the Houston Colt .45s.

#605 1976 Topps Al Downing
The 1976 Topps set has been on my radar for several years now, and I'm currently at the point where I'm close to wrapping up the 660-card set. I'm only 39 cards away and, as far as I know, there aren't any major cards left for me to purchase.

One I track down the remaining ~3 dozen cards, I'm looking forward to taking a slow look through the completed binder. Seeing all the colors pop off the page will be the most rewarding part of the whole process. 

#606 2007 Topps Ron Washington
In light of all the recent managerial signings, I took interest in Ron Washington's commitment to remain the 3rd base coach for the Atlanta Braves rather than explore other opportunities. 

Given his track record with Texas, he wouldn't have had much trouble being hired by a team like San Diego or San Francisco. I understand the decision, however, because there's far more potential to work within Atlanta than most of the other teams looking for new leadership.

#607 1987 Topps Tony Bernazard All-Star
In spite of how burned out I am on the 1987 Topps design, the All-Star cards still pique my interest, mainly because I haven't seen too many of them before. The design, moreover, was only featured in 2017 Update, so I didn't see a lot of the reprints 2 years ago.

I'm a little confused as to why Topps lists Indians 2nd baseman Tony Bernazard as an All-Star in his 1987 Topps card considering that his Baseball-Reference page doesn't note that achievement whatsoever.

#608 1980 Topps Alan Bannister
It seems like every White Sox Topps card from the late 70s and early 80s features a different uniform, whether it's the red stripes, shorts, white shirt with black sleeves, or the all-navy blue jersey above.

I also like the cap the White Sox 3rd baseman Alan Bannister is wearing, for they remind me of the uniforms that the Southsiders would begin wearing later that decade.

#609 1983 Topps Danny Darwin
I apologize to anyone who's grown bored of the seemingly never-ending collation of 1983 Topps cards that appear on basically each of the last 15 pages of my frankenset.

Though the cards have become repetitive, each one, in my opinion, is incredibly interesting, from the black and gold Pirates uniforms to the powder blue jerseys worn by a surplus of early 80s teams.

#610 1971 Topps Amos Otis
A speedster for the Kansas City Royals in the early 1970s, Amos Otis made the All-Star team 5 times throughout his 17-year career. 

While I knew before writing this post that he played for Kansas City and Pittsburgh, I had no idea that Otis made his major league debut with the New York Mets in 1967.

In addition to his All-Star game selections, Otis won 3 Gold Glove awards and obtained MVP votes 4 times, all of his achievements coming as a member of the Royals. Not bad for a guy listed as 165 pounds on the back of his cards.

#611 2003 Topps Chris Magruder
As soon as I laid eyes on this 2003 Topps Flagship card, my immediate thought was to think about Topps Stadium Club and all the unconventional angles used in that set's photography. 

The zoom and angle of this shot exclude everything from the background besides dirt, things found on virtually every card. I appreciate the unusual nature of this card, for Topps base sets can get repetitive with the same cards appearing seemingly over and over again.

#612 1989 Score Matt Williams
Last up, a card form 1989 Score of Giants 3rd baseman Matt Williams, a key member of their team across the late 80s and early 90s. 

A 5-time All-Star, he obtained MVP votes on 4 separate occasions in his career, including finishing 2nd to Jeff Bagwell in 1994. The card, however boring it may be, encouraged me to research and learn a little more about him, so I guess there are benefits to having rather uninspired Baseball cards. 

3 comments:

  1. Love those Super Veteran cards. I have a couple pages of them in a binder, both Topps and O-Pee-Chee versions, although still missing a few.

    But I really love that Amos Otis. Yeah, Mets fans are certainly aware we had him! We were desperate for a third baseman, so we traded him for Joe Foy, and when that didn't work we traded some kid named Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi. If only we'd drafted Dick Allen when we had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me of the time I found over a dozen really clean copies of that '71 Otis in a dime box... they all ended up coming home with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember pulling those Tony Bernazard All-Stars and being puzzled by it. I'd love to hear the reasoning from whoever decided these things. Just another instance of Lou Whitaker not getting any respect!

    ReplyDelete