Saturday, October 14, 2017

Testing My Luck with 2017 Bowman


I went to Target earlier today with intentions of picking up a blaster box of 2017 Topps Fire. As you can see from the title and the picture above that did not happen.

I cannot remember the last time I bought Bowman packs, but it must've been years ago. I'm not a huge fan of prospects and I usually just pick up veteran base in the dime bins once it comes out, but since Topps Fire was unavailable I decided to go for the 2017 Bowman Mega Box for 14.99.

This comes with a total of 7 packs. 5 of them are Bowman base packs and 2 are exclusive chrome cards. I'll show the base today and get to the chrome packs tomorrow.

Pack 1:

#19 Jose Altuve 
We start off the box with a player I collect in Altuve with a pretty nice action swing shot of the Astros star. He's been on fire this season and has really stepped up in the playoffs especially last night.

#11 Ryan Braun 
Can't say I'm excited to get yet another Ryan Braun card.

#94 Michael Fulmer

A very nice image of Fulmer. Topps' picture quality continues to impress me.

#68 Mark Trumbo
Not much to say about Trumbo. I'm quite neutral about him.

#60 Jorge Alfaro 
You've seen a lot of card fronts so here are the backs. They're probably my favorite card backs of 2017 because they include a pop of color along with the usual résumé, skills, and up close included on the back of every Bowman base and prospect card year after year.

#BCP127 Ronald Acuna
Here's my first chrome card, and my first prospect card of the box. Apparently, Acuna is well thought of and could be in the big leagues soon. I don't know much about prospects, so can someone confirm this, please.

#BP15 Nick Burdi

#BCP30 Willie Calhoun
My 2nd chrome card and one of the best cards of the pack.

#BP33 Braxton Garrett and #BP57 Tyler Beede
Closing off pack 1 with a couple of pitching prospects I've never heard of before.

Pack 2:

#41 Orlando Arcia
Arcia is a player that has been everywhere in 2017, and I have gotten him in almost every product I've purchased. He did alright this season especially for a rookie, and he's still young enough for the Brewers to build around him.

#44 Freddie Freeman

#67 Aledmys Diaz
Diaz is similar to Arcia in terms of being featured in lots of sets this season. He, however, did not perform at Arcia's level and was even sent down to Triple-A at one point.

#46 Willson Contreras 
Without a doubt, my favorite card pulled so far. I'm just getting so tired of the blurred backgrounds in each image.

#45 Kyle Schwarber
Schwarber struggled like no one expected in his first full MLB season. He hit .211 (yes he was that bad) and had just 59 RBI. 

#BCP26 Paul De Jong
De Jong, on the other hand, had a great 2017 hitting .285 with 25 homers and 65 RBI. He along with Tommy Pham is what the Cardinals are going to have to build on. They have some obvious talent, make it work. 

#BP150 Jason Groome 
Pack 2 also gave me my first, and sadly only Red Sox card in the 1st Bowman Prospect Jason Groome.

#BCP100 Kevin Maitan
This is the first card I've ever seen of a player born in the 21st century. Braves prospect Kevin Maitan was born February 12th, 2000. He even signed with Atlanta at age 16. I know it'll be a few years 'till he makes his debut, but I'm definitely excited to see this happen. 

#BP75 Ryan Mountcastle

#BP109 Kyle Freeland
Why have the last 2 cards of each pack been so disappointing? 

Pack 3:

#65 Ben Zobrist
Even though there's been a severe lack of Red Sox cards, I've been spoiled with plenty of Cubs.

#84 Starling Marte
A talented player who lost a lot of respect by doing steroids and getting caught earlier this year. 

#1 Kris Bryant
More Cubs!

#89 Jharel Cotton
I always enjoy getting A's cards as the green on the uniforms and hats always finds a way to stand out.

#26 Teoscar Hernandez
I bet Hernandez wishes he was never traded to the Blue Jays. Houston won the division and is in the ALCS while Toronto placed last in the AL East. He still had 100 at-bats with the Astros, so he'll probably get a ring if they win it all.

#BP10 Chase Vallot

#BCP114 Tyler Jay

#BCP131 Mark Zagunis
This is my 28th card of the box. Of those 28, 5 have been Cubs. That's a whole 17% and if that weren't enough Zagunis is very well thought of. He made his MLB debut for the Cubs this year but, he didn't get a hit in 14 at-bats. He still had a solid season in Triple-A Iowa and should be ready to give the big leagues another shot next year.

#BP2 Gavin Lux

#BP47 Kolby Allard
Once again, mediocre last 2 cards.

Pack 4: 

#58 Francisco Lindor
I've been thinking about doing a top 50 cards of 2017 list after Topps Update comes out. If I make the list, this Lindor card may make it.

#72 Dellin Betances
But this Dellin Betances card will definitely make it. This picture to me is near perfect. It shows his Yankees jersey, a dark night sky at Yankee Stadium and nothing more. It's simple, and it's phenomenal. 

#49 Nolan Arenado
A card of a player I collect continues this fabulous pack.

#38 Andrew Miller
The 2nd Indians card of the pack is of closer Andrew Miller. He'll unbelievably be 33 next May. I honestly never knew that he was in his 30's already.

#59 Nelson Cruz
I'm not disappointed to get a card of Nelson Cruz at all. It's just that he's a Mariner and the Mariners are the team I'm the most neutral about in baseball with the possible exception of the Padres. I don't care if they do well or not, it's just how it is.

#BCP76 Amed Rosario
I don't know if I've said this yet on the blog but I really don't like the Mets.

#BP127 Ronald Acuna
My 2nd card of Ronald Acuna is his base 1st Bowman card.

#BCP80 Gleyber Torres
By far the best prospect card of the box. Torres was acquired by the Yankees in the Aroldis Chapman trade last year and has been a hot prospect ever since. He should be making his debut next season on a team that will be stacked with young players. 

#BP21 Dustin May

#BP141 Yang-Hyeon-Jong
Probably the coolest card of the box as it features a player from the Korean World Baseball Classic team.

And the back with the logo in the top left is even cooler. He's played in Korea his whole career and has gone 86-59 with a 3.93 ERA and 1,045 strikeouts. He kind of reminds me of Chris Archer especially with how often he seems to strikeout batters. 

Pack 5:

#53 Odubel Herrera

#28 Miguel Cabrera
Another player I collect who is possibly coming off his worst season ever hitting .249 with just 16 home runs. He's currently sitting at 462 career home runs and I hope he gets to 500, he really deserves it. He's 38 away which for comparison's sake is what he got in 2016. However, he is regressing and it will probably take 2 or even 3 seasons to get there.

#66 Gavin Cecchini

#62 Jake Thompson

#42 Jose De Leon
3 rookie cards in a row. As I said I don't like the Mets, and the Rays are division rivals to the Red Sox, but I don't mind seeing the Phillies do well, and the Jake Thompson rookie card is very nice to have. 

#BCP139 Sean Reid-Foley

#BP26 Paul De Jong
After getting 2 cards of Ronald Acuna, I was able to do the same thing for Paul De Jong.

#BCP102 Alex Kirlloff 
My final chrome card of the 5 Bowman packs.

#BP73 Victor Robles

#BP71 T.J. Friedl
The last card of the Bowman base packs.

Overall I was very pleased with this Bowman purchase. I found that there was a nice balance between veterans, rookies, and prospects. I still have the 2 exclusive chrome packs, but this post took a lot of scanning so I'll save those for another time.

I also don't know much about a lot of the prospects I got cards of today, so if any of you know anything about these players I'd appreciate it very much if you could let me know an interesting fact or anything else.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment