Sunday, February 11, 2018

My Thoughts on the Yu Darvish Signing

When I pulled this card in my 2nd blaster of 2018 Topps just over a week ago, I have to say that I wasn't too excited to get it. Now. after signing a 6-year $126 million dollar contract with the Cubs, my 2nd favorite team, I must say I'm a lot more excited to have this card then I was before.


I won't lie, the Darvish signing is very risky and I'm certain many fellow Cubs fans will agree with me. The 4-time All-Star is 31 years old and will be turning 32 later this year on August 16th. He's already undergone Tommy John surgery back in 2015 and didn't do very well in the World Series (to put it lightly). However, he has proven himself to be a star pitcher when he's consistent. Just 5 years into his MLB career, he's already struck out over 1000 batters and has had a very reasonable 3.42 ERA. 

The signing also makes it nearly official that the Cubs are most definitely not going to bring back Jake Arrieta. The 2015 NL Cy Young award winner is also turning 32 this year, a risky age to offer a pitcher a long-term contract. It makes sense for Arrieta to join the Brewers who appear to be contending for an NL pennant this year. Arrieta knows the Brewers very because they're one of the biggest rivals for the Cubs in the NL Central. It would help to make the rivalry even more interesting, though it's going to seem weird for the Cubs to go on without Arrieta on their team.

Overall, I think Yu Darvish signing with the Cubs was kind of expected, but should work out overall at least for the first 3-4 years. He will definitely regress during that time, but if the regressing is not significant and he can maintain a consistent performance year after year, I think Cubs fans are in for a treat adding Yu Darvish to the team. 






No comments:

Post a Comment