Thursday, February 1, 2018

Starting With a Pack

After many months of awaiting the release, 2018 Topps Series 1 hit the stores yesterday (and for some stores even earlier for some reason) and officially began the 2018 card collecting season. I went to Target today with intentions of picking up a blaster to open with my dad and a single pack to show in today's post. Both were available, so I bought both and will be saving the blaster for tomorrow.

Topps Flagship isn't my favorite product of the year, but I almost had to buy a blaster of Series 1. It's the first release of the season and it really gets me excited for the baseball season. Plus, it gives me a look at what Series 2, Update, Chrome, and Opening Day will look like, so it's a pretty worthwhile thing to see.

Now, without further adieu, here is what I pulled from my first pack of 2018 Topps.

#164 Adeiny Hechavarria 
The first card I pulled is of Rays infielder Adeiny Heachavarria. It's not too exciting of a player, but the card looks nice and it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion on the set. I have to say that I enjoy the ribbon that Topps put in the bottom left, although when it's colored in blue it does look like a waterslide or river. I like the placement of the logo on the ribbon as the logo looks like it finally has a place on a Topps base card. The floating pixels didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, but my biggest issue is with the player name which I'll address later. 

#40 Carlos Santana
I have to say that these card backs are the best I've seen in years, and might be even better than the colorful 2017 backs. The backs look sleek and modern just like the set but also include an eye-catching pop of color at the top that makes them just that more interesting. The silver ribbon looks fantastic, and overall there isn't much dead space on the card backs considering there isn't a full career stat line on the back. I still wish they'd include the players' stats from each year of their career, but at this point, I'll take what I get from Topps and I must say they did very well with these backs.

#322 Parker Bridwell
After the rookie craze from last season, I may have to keep track of how many rookie cards I pull this year because it seems like Topps is going to be making a ton of different rookie cards this year.

#249 Christian Arroyo
I'm very pleased Topps put the Future Stars back on certain young players cards for this years' set. I'm also glad that I pulled a card of Christian Arroyo, especially since he's on the Rays now and I'll be able to watch him on TV more because of how often the Rays play the Sox. I actually pulled an autograph of Christian Arroyo from 2017 Topps Heritage High Number, so I'm hoping Arroyo progresses into a star player and does well this season. Just not against the Red Sox.

#LTM-MB Mookie Betts
5 cards in and I already have a Mookie Betts insert, I think 2018 Topps is going to be pretty good. I saw glimpses of these inserts online, but I had yet to have a good look at one until I pulled this one from the pack. It reminds me of the Topps Fire insert from 2016 Topps Update as well as the Topps Fire insert from 2017 Series 1. The grey and red splashes are supposed to give the card a more modern and artistic feel which I understand, and I have to say that I like. It's different from what Topps usually puts out. I just don't see how the set design has anything to do with legends in the making, it just doesn't seem like they go together.

#DJH-11 Derek Jeter Highlights Card 11
I pulled one of the Derek Jeter highlights card from the pack, and despite me not being Jeter's biggest fan, I have to say Topps did an excellent job with these target-exclusive cards. The insert set pays tribute to some of Jeter's most memorable moments, like this one from his farewell speech at old Yankee Stadium. The perfect placement of the iconic pinstripes and Jeter's #2 just help the card look even better. Even though Wal-Mart has an exclusive insert for Kris Bryant, I still would have a hard time turning down cards that look this good.

#61 Keon Broxton
Another great image choice for the card that gives me the chance to share the parts of the base set that I don't like. I have 2 problems with the player name, the first being the little bit of the player's first name that is covered up by the ribbon. I don't see why Topps would ever do this as it's just an utterly useless thing to do. The whole point of cards is to know who you get cards of, and while the ribbon doesn't cover the name up to the point where you can't see the name, it's just not something you want to see on the card. My final issue is how the last name is bigger than the first name which is yet another example of an unnecessary detail. 

#286 New York Yankees
I really wish Topps would go back to traditional team photos with the whole team and coaching staff included. 5 players do not make up the whole team Topps, I hate to tell you that but it's true.

#138 Luiz Gohara
2 rookie cards already, this is 2017 all over again. It's still a really nice photo though but seriously there really isn't a need to produce rookie cards at the level that Topps chooses to do.

#100 Giancarlo Stanton
Stanton's very last Topps base card on the Marlins includes a stunning image from what looks like the A's ballpark, judging by the old Kansas City A's logo near the championship years in the background on the top of the card.

#260 Rick Porcello
2 Red Sox cards in 1 pack? This set is off to a great start in my eyes. Granted Porcello is coming off pretty much the worst performance by any starting pitcher in 2017, but I still have faith that he will be able to have a bounce-back season this year. He still won the 2016 AL Cy Young Award, we can't forget that or the promise he showed that season.

#342 Sean Manaea
I don't know much about the current Oakland A's team, but they have made some of the most colorful cards in my collection, and this one isn't an exception considering the amount of green included on this card.

Overall, I have to say that I like 2018 Topps a fair amount and that it's certainly better than 2016 Topps and has a slight advantage over 2017. I still miss borders as much as the next guy, but if Topps can put out borderless sets at or above this level for years to come, I will be a very happy collector. 













2 comments:

  1. Hechavarria was the first card I pulled as well--from a jumbo hobby pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some other break videos and found he was a number of people' first card of the year. Probably because of how Topps sets up the beginning and end of some of their packs to be similar.

      Delete