Monday, February 5, 2018

The Last of My Series 1 Purchases Part 1

After starting the 2018 collecting season with a single pack of 2018 Topps and then moving on to a full blaster box of the set, I felt pretty certain that I wasn't going to buy any more Series 1, at least not until it was all that's left at Target after the release of many other products. 

However, I found myself out of town over the weekend with my dad, and we drove by a Walmart. I knew that this could mean 2 things. It could have 2018 Topps or not, but if it had the product, then it would have the exclusive Kris Bryant insert cards, a set my dad and I were both eager to collect.

This prompted us to pick up 1 final blaster of 2018 Topps Series 1 to add to what we got as well as look for these exclusive Kris Bryant insert card.

Pack 1

#288 Miguel Sano
The first card of blaster box #2 was of Miguel Sano, a card that quickly became one of my favorites in the set. He was one of the leaders of the comeback Twins team that went from over 100 losses in 2016 to actually make the Wild Card game in 2017, the first team ever to do so.

#300 Mike Trout
The man on the cover of the product, Mike Trout received card 300 in the set. I'm always excited to pull cards of Trout because of how expensive his cards can be, even if it's just a regular base or insert card like this one.

#291 Marcell Ozuna League Leaders
I'm very glad Topps decided to bring back the individual league leader cards that debuted in 2017 Topps. It's nice to see each of the top 3 in major stat categories get their own card in addition to their base card.

#TS-94 Topps Salute Miguel Andujar
I don't know much about the rookies from this year quite yet, but I do know Miguel Andujar is expected to have a very good rookie season in 2018.

#KB-14 Kris Bryant Highlights
Awesome! 1 pack in and I already pulled a Kris Bryant insert card. This card highlights Bryant's game on August 18th, 2016 where he went 5-5 with 5 hits, 4 runs, and 2 homers during the Cubs' 9-6 win over the Brewers.

#OD-23 Opening Day Aaron Nola
I still dislike these opening day inserts, but I must say it's pretty cool to pull 3 inserts from 3 different sets in 1 10-card pack.

#263 Chase Utley
Another example of excellent photography is this Chase Utley card which could ultimately be the 6-time All-Star 2nd baseman's last season. After all, Utley just turned 39 and has been on the decline since before he left Philadelphia. 

#166 Victor Robles
Once again, I don't know much about rookies but I have heard some very good things about Nationals outfielder Victor Robles.

#248 Jake Lamb
Lamb may not have had the best batting average in 2017 (.248), but his 30 homers and 105 RBI was extremely beneficial to the Diamondbacks' season and eventual Wild Card win over the Rockies. 

#255 Zach Davies
Davies established himself as a talented and reliable pitcher for the Brew Crew during his breakout 2017 season where he finished tied for 2nd in the NL for wins and had a WAR of 2.8

Pack 2

#89 Yasiel Puig
I find it very interesting to hear that the Red Sox quickly denied a trade over the offseason that would've sent Puig to Boston in exchange for Jackie Bradley Jr. It just goes to show that even though baseball has become more and more about hitting home runs over the last few years, defensive stars like Bradley are still desired and needed. 

#183 Matt Kemp
Many people are already pointing out how this photo of Kemp looks like it belongs in Topps Stadium Club considering how fantastic the image looks. I, on the other hand, am perplexed as to why the "ribbon" on the Braves card is red when it should really be blue to match the Braves main team color.

#45 Giancarlo Stanton League Leaders
This league leaders card is celebrating Stanton leading the NL, and ultimately baseball with 59 home runs last season. That total is tied for 9th all-time in single-season home runs. Not to mention he happens to be tied with Babe Ruth. 

#92 Charlie Blackmon League Leaders
I have to say that I never knew Blackmon lead the NL in batting average by hitting .331 until I pulled this card.

#LTM-CE Corey Seager Legends in the Making
Honestly, the more of these I pull the less certain I become regarding if I like them or not. The cards look pretty cool, but it would make more sense for the insert set to be called "Splash" or something else to do with the design incorporated in the background. 

#319 David Peralta
Another nicely-chosen image, this one features David Peralta, another young and talented member of the 2017 Diamondbacks team.

#116 Ariel Miranda
I was interested to read the back of this Mariners pitcher's card and to learn that he spent 7 years playing baseball in Cuba before making his way to the Orioles briefly, and then to the Mariners in the Wade Miley trade. 

#281 Alex Verdugo
Another rookie card, this one of Alex Verdugo, who was part of the Dodgers' September call-ups and is expected to start this year if I'm not mistaken.

#168 Ricky Nolasco
Only baseball card backs would be able to tell me what Nolasco is 1 of just 13 pitchers with 5 or more victories in each of the last 10 years. 

#79 J.T. Realmuto
Considering that Jeter has traded practically every star member of the Marlins team (Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich, Gordon) I wouldn't be surprised to see their star catcher J.T. Realmuto traded in order to receive a few more prospects. 

Pack 3

#94 Robbie Grossman
Another Twins card to start off a pack, this one of Robbie Grossman which is an example of yet another high-quality image in this set.

#287 Mark Trumbo
Trumbo has definitely established himself as a power-hitter over the last few seasons with the Orioles. But after hitting .234 in 2017 and hitting just 23 homers (not a lot for someone whose batting average is that bad), Trumbo's WAR dropped to -1.2 for the season.

#80 Dellin Betances
Betances is on a great contract with the Yankees as the 4-time All-Star reliever is making just over 5 million dollars this year. That's not a lot for a guy who struck-out 100 batters in just 60 innings pitched last season and were able to adjust very well in 2016 when both Chapman and Miller were traded away.

#207 Jackson Stephens
The 4th rookie card of the box is a player who unlike Andujar, Robles, and Verdugo, I know nothing about.

#99 Greg Allen
Rookie card #5 of the box. I've lost track of how many rookies I've pulled so far overall between the 2 blasters and 1 pack, but I'm sure we're over 15.

#83-53 1983 Insert Willie Calhoun
Rookie card #6 in the box is of outfielder Willie Calhoun who was sent to the Rangers as part of the Yu Darvish trade over the summer. He'll join George Springer and Felix Hernandez as the 3 1983 Topps inserts I've pulled so far. 

#OD-15 Opening Day Andrew McCutchen
More irony on the back of these Opening Day inserts as this one reads "Presuming he'll be in the first-day lineup in '18, it will be his ninth such start in a row." 

Awkward.

#292 Baltimore Orioles Team Card
28 cards in and I've already encountered my first double of the blaster. I truly hope this isn't going where I think it's going.

#242 Craig Kimbrel
Nevermind! It went in the exact opposite direction and instead of delivering another double, I acquired my first 2018 Craig Kimbrel card for the Kimbrel Collection. This card also has become one of my favorites from the set, and not just because it's of Craig Kimbrel, although that does help. it's because of how pumped he looks after I assume he just completed 1 of his 35 saves from 2017.

#317 Chase Headley
We end the pack with a rival of Kimbrel's Red Sox, Chase Headley who has been mentioned in trade rumors this offseason after having somewhat of a bounce-back year in 2017. And with the young players taking over in the Bronx, Headley along with former Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury may feel out of place. 

Pack 4

#225 Kyle Schwarber
Schwarber's base card in this set looks incredibly clear and sharp. If only his 2017 season had been as good as this card. After returning to the Cubs' roster for the World Series and helping them win it all, Schwarber took a massive step back and hit just .211 in the 2017 season.

#241 Nick Pivetta
I don't think there's a single player I could care less about than a pitcher who had a 6.02 ERA in his rookie season with the Phillies last year.

#63 Amed Rosario
I'm far more interested in Amed Rosario who already appears to be a 2018 NL Rookie of the Year favorite after being called up by the Mets last year. If he can raise his batting average a bit, he could definitely be a future star player.

#42 Cody Bellinger
Speaking of NL Rookies of the Year, Cody Bellinger certainly knows about winning that award after the decision being unanimous in his favor last year. Bellinger unbelievably hit 39 homers in just 480 at-bats, so I'm sure baseball fans all around the country are at least interested to see what he can do with 550-600 at-bats this year.

#SSS-28 Superstar Sensations Khris Davis
The Superstar Sensations inserts have easily become my 2nd favorite insert set behind the 1983 cards. The colorful galaxy design pops when put on a baseball card which is combined with not 1, but 2 different pictures of the player. This includes 1 picture in black and white that makes the card stand out above all the other cards in the set.

#LTM-NS Legends in the Making Noah Syndergaard Black Parallel
I see what Topps was trying to do with these insert parallels, but I have to say that they don't do very much for me and I am already getting sick of them. 

#86 Eric Hosmer
When I pulled this card I thought it was a short print because of how different it looked from the others but it's not, in fact, an SP. It's just an odd card of free-agent who has still yet to be signed. 

#108 Justin Turner League Leaders
I don't remember Topps choosing landscape cards for League Leaders in 2017, so I believe it's new to this years' Topps.

#75 Andrew Miller
Miller is coming off another great year in his first full season in Cleveland when he went 4-3 with a 1.44 ERA and struck out 95 batters. He'll unbelievably be 33 in May, but shows no signs of slowing down despite getting older.

#161 Matt Moore
The final player was one that I thought would be able to do well when he was traded to the Giants in 2016, but he never amounted to much in San Francisco.

I'll go through the next 6 packs over the next day or 2, but overall I am pleased at this point into the box that I got a new Kimbrel, some inserts from sets I plan to collect, and only 1 double 4 packs into my 2nd and final blaster of Series 1.













































1 comment:

  1. Robles is a big deal. Consensus top 10 overall prospect and top 5 on most lists.

    ReplyDelete