Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Frankenset Page 15

At last, my favorite time of year for baseball cards is finally upon us. Beginning in early/mid-July and continuing for about a month into August, this is a time where 3 of my favorite sets are released. Those products include Topps Stadium Club which I've already accumulated a bit of, Topps Allen & Ginter which comes about tomorrow and Topps Chrome which will be released on the first day of the National, August 1st.

Speaking of the National, it's hard to believe that I'll be there in just over 2 weeks. Since I'm trying to cut back on purchases until then, I'll have to pick up my commons from A&G and even some from Topps Chrome if at all possible, once I get to Cleveland at the very end of the month. Then, National Baseball Card Day and Topps Archives will occur once I get back, so I should try to save some money for at least 1 Archives blaster because I know I'm not going to want to spend any money on cards for at least the rest of August once I get back.

Last night's Home Run Derby was pretty good overall, though there is some talk of the winner Bryce Harper's Dad throwing the pitches before the previous one landed. With that being said, it was pretty entertaining and Kyle Schwarber certainly gave it his all. Now, before the All-Star game starts in less than 2 hours, here's the 15th page of my frankenset, showcasing cards #127-135.

#127 2017 Topps Michael Bourn
Recently, Night Owl made an argument stating that some of the images used in the more recent years of Topps Flagship are quite similar to the pictures chosen for Stadium Club with some Flagship photos looking like they could actually belong in a Stadium Club set. While I don't necessarily think this Michael Bourn card is destined for SC, I agree with multiple points that were brought up. 

#128 2005 Fleer Tradition Mike Lowell
2005 was Mike Lowell's 7th and final year with the Marlins, and it was by far the worst of his career. The 4-time All-Star hit .236 in 500 at-bats with Florida that year before joining the Red Sox along with Josh Beckett in a trade that sent Hanley Ramirez to the Marlins and became one of the main reasons why Boston won the '07 Fall Classic.

#129 1993 Leaf Marquis Grissom 
While the 1993 Leaf set did not come close to stacking up to the 1992 silver-bordered set, I appreciate nearly any Montreal Expos card that I can find. In fact, looking at too many Expos cards causes me to wish there was still a team in Montreal. The uniqueness of the Montreal Expos franchise attracted fans, so all they'd really have to do is have a team move there (or form an expansion team) that could appeal to what the fans want.

#130 2004 Fleer Tradition Carlos Delgado 
Any baseball card set I can find that includes banners like the blue one shown on the 2004 Fleer Tradition set automatically catches my attention in a very positive manner. It helps draw my attention to the rest of the card which, in this case, shows a personal favorite uniform of mine. A few teams including the Indians, Reds, and Diamondbacks had this jersey style in the 2000's that included sleeves with different colors than the rest of the uniform.

#131 2010 Topps National Chicle David Price
I would like nothing more than for David Price to have an incredible 2nd half of the 2018 season. While it's too late to make a Cy Young case for himself and the All-Star game is about to pass, he can still help Boston with their seemingly inevitable playoff run (knock on wood). It can be easy to forget, but he used to be the best in the business. If he can pitch like he used to, he'll quickly become an intricate part of the team.

#132 1991 Topps Stadium Club Gene Larkin
I believe 1991 was the very first year ever of the Topps Stadium Club brand. The light blue and faint amount of gold work fairly well, but I'm especially fond of how clear the idea behind the set is beginning in the early days of the product. Throw in a few more cards and it's clear to see that photography is a major aspect of the Stadium Club set.

#133 1977 Topps Ralph Garr
The Ralph Garr card from the 1977 Topps set is one of my favorite cards from the '77 product, and that says a lot given some of the true 70's cards included in that set. I barely have any cards from 1977 Topps which is why I don't collect this set. However, I could see myself starting it once I acquire the final 130 ish cards needed to complete the 1975 Topps set.

#134 2005 Fleer Tradition Marlon Byrd
The unique background such as simple colors, clouds, and some action-shots are part of what made 2005 Fleer Tradition one of the most special sets ever made by Fleer in addition to being one of the final sets made. As you can see, it's also the 2nd card from this set included on the page. 

#135 2015 Topps Update Jason Heyward
Jason Heyward's 2015 season with the St. Louis Cardinals was likely the best year of the 5-time Gold Glove award winners' career other than perhaps his 2010 rookie season with Atlanta. Even though he's struggled since joining the Cubs, he's hitting .285 with 41 RBI this season. It's not ideal given his paycheck, but it'll do just fine for now.

1 comment:

  1. The Garr is a classic, but my favorite here is the Delgado.

    ReplyDelete