Saturday, September 8, 2018

Slowly Yet Surely

Whether we realize it or not, collectors like myself who attempt to complete multiple sets at once put some sets at a higher prioirty than others. This makes it easier to complete some sets, like 1972 and 1975 Topps. However, it causes the process of completing other sets to take a little longer. 

If you've seen my want list, you know that I'm trying to complete multiple insert sets from the last few years, mainly from 2017 Topps Series 1 which had some of the best all-around inserts we've seen in a while.. Still, as much as I'm trying to complete these insert sets, they don't always take priority when I have other things to collect.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is what makes trades so fantastic.

A reader named Zack recently reached out to me for a trade. He's a Tigers fan, and I was able to fill in some set needs and send some Tigers oddballs his way. In exchange, he sent me some insert set needs from 2017 and 2018 to help me slowly yet surely complete these various sets.

For example, the 1987 insert set from 2017 Topps Series 1.

Back before Topps ended up over-hyping 1987, 1983, and now 1984 which will be in the 2019 Topps set, having a tribute to a past set in this way seemed super cool. The 100-card checklist did seem excessive at the time, but the added cards in Series 2 and Update caused the hype on 1987 to go too far.

However, I don't have a problem with the Series 1 1987 set. I just wish they had stopped it there. The cardstock was fabulous and the 30 years stamp in the bottom left corner of each card is one of my favorite parts of the set. 

Names like Bryce Harper and Ken Griffey Jr. were a bit hard to comeby for the right price when I purchased some of my insert needs last year. Considering that I would never overpay for a Harper card and would have to consider it for Griffey, acquring these 2 cards and the Maeda via trade is the best way for me to close in on this insert set.

Likewise, I was also sent some 1983 inserts from this year that I need to complete my Series 1 set.

Just like they did for '87 in 2017, Topps went crazy with the 1983 set this year, including it in Series 1, Series 2, and eventually in Topps Update when that set comes out in October. However, I spent less on 2018 Series 1 than 2017, and I haven't purchased a single one of these inserts online.

As of now, I have around 15 of the 100, but I fully intend to make progress with this set through trades and at the show if I can find any. I also have intentions to take part in the COMC Black Friday sale this year for the first time ever, so I'll make sure to include numerous 1983 Series 1 inserts in this purchase.

Finally, I landed a couple of Barry Larkin inserts that I needed, one from 2017 and one from 2018. The first card is the final card in the 2017 Topps Salute Series 1 checklist. Although I prefer the 2018 Salute design, I should be relatively close to completing the insert set with around only 20 cards remaining.

As for 2018, I continue to add on to my 1983 Series 1 set with the aquisation of this Barry Larkin card along with the Carpenter and Boggs shown above. Even though I only have around 15 cards from that set, I consider it pretty good considering I bought 2 blasters of Series 1 and haven't purchased any of the cards online like I did last year.

Even though it could and very well will be some time before I complete any of these insert sets, I don't regret doing things this way. Slowly yet surely, I can add on to these insert sets bit by bit while also focusing on vintage sets that I'm passionate about completing. The way I see it, I can make progress all sorts of different sets at once.

1 comment:

  1. Those tribute sets might as well have been products by themselves with 250+ card checklists. But that would be triple redundant with Heritage and Archives.

    ReplyDelete