Sunday, September 23, 2018

2002 Topps 206 Box; Halfway There

With packs #9 and #10 about to be shown in this post, I will have officially made it to the halfway point of my 2002 Topps 206 hobby box by the end of this post.

Breaking a box pack by pack and showing it on the blog over the course of a few days is something I had never done before prior to purchasing this box last weekend at my LCS. I'm still debating whether I want to do this in the future, but I'll have a decent amount of time before the next product I would consider doing this for comes out (2019 Topps Heritage would be the likely candidate).

I won't ramble too much more about my feelings towards the set as I believe I've expressed them enough over the first 4 posts. Instead, I'll be trying to concentrate on what I think of each individual card. What to expect from the packs is the same as it's been for the first 8 with the hope of pulling a relic or autograph still growing.

Pack #8

#52 David Justice

#100 Mark McGwire
Ever notice that even though he's a proven PED user, McGwire is shown in many modern-day Topps sets like Archives and Stadium Club. Although he was never fully convicted, the same could be said for Roger Clemens. However, players like Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds examples of players contrary to McGwire and Clemens, having not appeared in any Topps set since their playing days.

#17 Brian Jordan
If you zoom in on the upper part of Brian Jordan's bat, you can see a name that doesn't appear to be his. I can't quite make it out, so I can't tell exactly whose bat Brian Jordan is holding on this card, but it's an interesting detail nevertheless.

#66 Hideo Nomo
In a set so heavily devoted to art, sometimes the baseball elements can get a bit lost. That's what makes it so great to see more realistic photos in the set such as ones showing players warming up before the game like the Hideo Nomo card above.

#107 Mike Hampton

#176 Eddie Plank
I can't tell if the early 1900's players' cards with different backs are SPs or just a subset that's a continuation of the base set. Regardless, I usually stumble upon one of these every few packs, and Eddie Plank could be the best one I've seen so far.

#55 Jeff Weaver Mini Polar Bear Back

#T206-17 Shawn Green Team 206
Though Shawn Green isn't exactly a name I'm familiar with, his Team 206 insert card is one of the most realistic ones I've pulled so far. There aren't any shaky elements or parts that they messed up. Overall, it's very artistic and a real looking picture.

Pack #10

#118 Pokey Reese
When I was listing jerseys similar to these in a post last week, I completely left out the Pirates. The Pirates, in addition to the Dbacks, Marlins, and Reds, all sported uniforms similar to those with short black sleeves back in the 2000's. Having had a chance to look at them all recently, I would have to narrowly say that the Pirates' uniforms are my favorites.

#206 Rafael Palmeiro

#31 Cliff Floyd
The only other set in which I've seen a player actually in the clouds and not just on the ground in front of a cloud background was the 2005 Fleer Tradition set where multiple players were chosen to be in front of the same background that Floyd is right now.

#103 Cristian Guzman

#119 Derek Jeter
This is a perfect example of the caliber of art that this set is capable of, and it really emphasizes how good these 2 packs have been for art. Every single detail, even the amount of light being reflected off the helmet, is perfected. The makings of a strong art card are truly all conveyed here.

#169 Dave Winfield
I feel like I've already pulled this card before, either as a mini or maybe even a base card. I'll have to check later, but it's a decent card either way. I just wish they'd go for a more interesting background, especially for a retired player like Winfield who would work incredibly well in front of a more interesting background than just a light blue block.

#150 Rich Thompson Mini Black Tolstoi Back
Here's the first look I'm giving at one of the variation backs. Most packs, you get the standard black polar bear backs. However, a slightly more rare mini back can be found in a pack every once in a while. All in all, they're not too eye-catching but rather a way to include some slightly rarer cards in the set.

#T206-13 Albert Pujols Team 206
Though not as realistic-looking as the Shawn Green card, Pujols' Team 206 insert is certainly not a bad way to cap off these 2 packs as well as the first half of the box. Though my feelings have been mixed so far, I've enjoyed opening this product thus far and discovering all sorts of surprising and detailed artwork along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment