Monday, September 10, 2018

Top 5 Cubs Relics

Around a week or so ago, I wrote a post about my top 5 Red Sox relic cards. Not only was this a post that I very much enjoyed writing, but it also delivered more page views than I had gotten in a while. I guess it officially symbolized the end of the dog days of August and the return to normal views/comments.

As mentioned in that post, it's a toss-up between the Red Sox and Cubs regarding which team I have more relic cards and autographs of. So, in a post that I could definitely see becoming a continuous series, I'll be doing the same thing for the Cubs. That is, showing off my 5 favorite relic cards.

Even though I have autographed cards that I could've incorporated into this list and future posts, I've decided to once again stick to relic cards, and if this ends up becoming a series, it'll be relic cards only.

Why? Well, I feel like relic cards are under-appreciated, especially nowadays. Topps hasn't been too creative with them recently and the prices are declining due to the rise in popularity of the autograph. There was once a time, from around 2001-2005, where relic cards were more popular than ever and were getting produced by the 4 major card companies (Donruss, Fleer, Topps, and Upper Deck).

Although the popularity of the relic card isn't what it used to be, we still have all sorts of relics that serve as a reminder of what they used to be. There were some tough decisions involved, but here are my 5 favorite Chicago Cubs relic cards.

#5 2002 Topps Archives Uniform Relics Ryne Sandberg
A simple enough name, but definitely not that simple of a card. That's the best way, to sum up, Sandberg's 2002 Topps Archives relic card. It's meant to serve as a reprint relic, hence why Topps selected his 1990 Topps card to be included. I like the creativity behind this card and the fact that it is a relic card of a Hall of Famer. The only thing I would change is the gold Archives banner across the jersey swatch. If I'm going to have a relic, I don't want any of it to be covered up.

#4 2005 Upper Deck Classics Classic Materials Andre Dawson
From what I typically see, most Andre Dawson relics show the 8-time All-Star as a member of the Montreal Expos and not usually the Chicago Cubs. I suppose that's what makes what this 2005 Upper Deck Classics relic card of Dawson so special. Not only does the blue border do the card justice, but it's also matched by the blue jersey Dawson is wearing and the light blue jersey swatch. Like most collectors, I'm not a fan of getting plain white or grey jersey relics which is why cards at spots #5 and #4 were able to make the list.

#3 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Framed Stamp Marlon Byrd
Okay, I know this isn't technically a relic card, but it's enough to make a small exception in order for it to end up on the list. Pulled out of a blaster of 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen I bought at my LCS last year, this framed stamp relic of Cubs outfielder Marlon Byrd is numbered /10 on the back of the card. Moreover, the card features an awesome purple stamp along with the classic combo of Cubs home uniforms and the iconic Wrigley Field ivy in the background.

#2 2004 Fleer Greats Forever Cubs Billy Williams
One morning on the way to the baseball card show, I remember talking to my Dad about Billy Williams. I recall myself elaborating on how you never see relic cards of his and that they're incredibly scarce. 

At that same card show, my dad picked up this picture-perfect Billy Williams relic card which is numbered to just 149 copies on the back. I've seen the Forever Cubs cards listed on COMC, but I haven't seen another one of these Forever Cubs relics listed there. Then again, the checklist includes Williams, Banks, and Santo, so it makes sense why people are holding onto them and not selling them.

#1 2002 Topps 206 Relics Joe Tinker and Johnny Evers
Okay, I'm slightly bending the rules once again by including 2 cards at the #1 spot, but there's no way I couldn't show both the Joe Tinker and Johnny Evers bat relics at the #1 spot on the list. With around 100 years separating when these bats were approximately used and these relics were made, they must've been pretty hard to come by in the 2002 Topps 206 set. Factor in how good the relic frames look and the fabulous reprints of their original T206 cards and it's clear why these 2 Cubs relics reign supreme.

3 comments:

  1. The Tinker and Evers relics are awesome!
    My goal is to someday own a button relic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are quite impressive, especially the Tinker and Evers. Billy Williams doesn't get much cardboard love in general, honestly

    ReplyDelete