Monday, September 17, 2018

2002 Topps 206 Box; All Sorts of Art

Although I'm just 2 packs into the box, the best and worst parts of the 2002 Topps 206 box so far has been the artwork.

In some cases, the art has been incredibly detailed and really blown my mind, especially since these cards are from way back in 2002. Other times, the facial features are so lackluster that it doesn't' make the overall art look polished. Truth be told, some of the actual players on the cards look a little choppy because these small details aren't super well-executed.

That being said, it wouldn't be fair to access the whole box on the first 2 packs. This box was purchased with the intentions of being a fun break with some well-designed cards as well as the chance to hit something special. 

I've decided to stay true to what I originally decided and break this box 2 packs at a time, posting them on the blog as I open them. Yesterday, you saw me open up the first couple packs of the box. Now, it's time to turn my attention to the 3rd and 4th packs out of the 20-pack box. 

#36 Carlos Lee
Here's the first look at the card backs, though there are a couple different versions. The one used for Carlos Lee's card is the most standard card back with the majority of the cards in each pack having this design on the back of the card. It's so well-done that even the copyright information looks like a natural part of the card. 

#11 Joe Randa
Unfortunately, Joe Randa's card is a clear example of some of the less than extraordinary art in the set. Even with an undetailed background, the poor attention to detail regarding the facial features is what I have an issue with. 

#67 Mike Mussina
I can't seem to stop going back and forth with this set. Even though Randa's card was one of my least favorites, it was directly followed by one of the best cards of the box so far. I know not everyone's a fan, but I really do like the blurred backgrounds and the colors within them.

#6 John Smoltz
I still don't know what I should do with all these cards. Given that I've opened a box of Series 2 and am currently breaking a Series 1 box, should I try to piece together this set? Or should I just concentrate on what I'm already pursuing?

#96 Jose Canseco
After I've been following baseball for as long as I've lived and learned more about players and cards every single day, I discovered today, September 17th, 2018, that Jose Canseco actually played for the Chicago White Sox. The power of baseball cards truly is extraordinary. 

#142 Justin Backsmeyer

#27 Bret Boone Mini Black Tolstoi Back
Bret Boone's mini is my very first variation mini pulled in the box so far. The back design isn't too exciting though. It's very similar to Polar Bear, just with a different name and a fancier font. I wish they were a bit more exciting like the 2003 Topps 205 variation minis.

#T206-13 Albert Pujols Team 206
Even though I don't yet know what I should do with these cards, I do know one thing. Whether I try to piece together the set or I separate cards for player collections, this card of a very young Albert Pujols will look fabulous no matter where it ends up.

Pack #3 pretty much kept up what the previous 2 packs had done. Some cards featured some fantastic art while others didn't. Now, it's time to see what pack #4 entails.

#45 Bud Smith
No matter how long I stared at this card for, I couldn't get the idea of Christmas out of my head. I personally blame the overwhelming amount of green and red on this card with nothing much else to contrast it.

#97 Ben Sheets

#65 Larry Walker
The primarily black jersey combined with the gold background almost makes Larry Walker look like a member of the Colorado Rockies on this card. Regardless, it's another well-executed piece of art in my opinion. Definitely another plus for the box.

#71 Sean Casey

#101 Ivan Rodriguez
So far, it seems like blue-on-blue is a big part of the set. In every card with a player wearing a blue jersey, there's even bluer added on in the background. In this case, that is far from a bad thing as the sheer amount of blue produced my favorite card of the pack, and maybe even of the box so far.

#165 Frank Robinson
I must say, I'm far more used to seeing Frank Robinson as an Oriole rather than a member of the Cincinnati Reds. However, I wouldn't have this card any other way as Topps proved they have the capability to execute cards of retired players just as well as active players in this set.

#133 Brandon Inge Mini Polar Bear Back

#T206-12 Roger Clemens Team 206
I can't say I'm in love with this Team 206 card. Not only is is a bit miscut, but, as mentioned before, the lack of attention to the facial details is really a major setback for this set.

After the first 4 packs, I'm really digging this set. Sure, it has things that I would like to change, but so does nearly every other set. Most of the artwork is stunning, and I'm starting to slowly await the possibility of pulling a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment