Sunday, November 3, 2019

A 1-Card Red Sox PC Pickup

Today's post is going to be a quick one, but it definitely holds true to the idea of quality over quantity.

This post could've been a card show recap featuring a huge stack of dime cards or a blaster box from a recently-released product. However, while he was visiting the cape over the weekend, it was my Dad who picked up this '64 Topps Tony Conigliaro rookie card, a fabulous addition to the Red Sox PC.

Though I worked diligently over the summer to enhance the Cubs and Red Sox collections for additions just like the one above, I typically refrain from purchasing more expensive individual cards that won't go towards one of my player collections.

I can't exactly pinpoint why, but purchasing cards for either of my 2 team PC's isn't really ingrained into my head. Typically, if I am to spend >$5 on a single card, it'll go towards one of my player collections or a set on my want list.

Part of what makes the Conigliaro rookie card special, however, is that I likely wouldn't have bought it if I was visiting the card shop on the cape over the weekend.

One of the most talented young players in the game throughout the mid-1960s, Conigliaro was vital to the Red Sox's success, particularly in the first half of his All-Star 1967 season until he hit by a pitch in the eye and, unfortunately, was never the same.

Another interesting part of not only Conigliaro's rookie stars card but that of every player is researching the player(s) featured alongside the perennial All-Star/Hall of Famer. In this case, that guy is Bill Spanswick who pitched 65 innings with a 6.89 ERA in '64, his sole MLB season.

Back to Conigliaro, it can be easy to forget just how essential and talented of a player he was for several years with the Red Sox. He set records at 20 years of age that paralleled Ted Williams, franchise records that, I believe, Rafael Devers achieved this season.

Now that I have the Red Sox PC organized in a manner that allows me to find any card quickly, I'm more likely to purchase singles for the team collection when visiting a card show or LCS.

It might not have caught my eye had I visited the card shop, but this Tony C rookie is, nonetheless, an excellent addition.

2 comments:

  1. I wish my A's and/or Padres PC was organized in a manner that would allow me to find any card quickly. Maybe one day. Congratulations on the addition of the Tony C rookie card to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His story is sad, unfortunately though it's not unique to the world of sports, so many athletes have had there careers altered by freak happenings.

    ReplyDelete