Thursday, November 21, 2019

Top 5 Relics/Autographs: Cincinnati Reds

The top 5 relics/autographs series hasn't been a regular occurrence on the blog like the frankenset and standard top 5 cards posts have been, but I still appreciate having these posts as an option for when I'm looking for a post idea.

I've also refrained from making too much progress with this series so that I can (possibly) accumulate more cards for these countdowns, thus boosting the quality of the lists.

For instance, I held off on creating a Cincinnati Reds top 5 relics/autographs post until today, and 2 of the top 5 cards were brought back from The National. Had I rushed and written these posts more frequently, the quality of the cards in the countdown wouldn't be as high as it is if I wait a little longer.

When I began this series over a year ago, I started out with top 5 Red Sox and Cubs relic cards, 2 posts that I'd like to update soon to feature autographs and/or expand the number of cards featured.

I also have to have a fair number of cards to consider for one of these posts, hence why I've only done them for a handful of teams thus far. Now, the Cincinnati Reds are about to join that group.

The list features 3 relic cards and 2 autographs, highlighting some of the greatest players in franchise history. Let's begin with #5, a jersey relic from a pretty well-known catcher, perhaps the greatest to ever play the position.

#5 2016 Panini Diamond Kings Masters of the Game Johnny Bench
I might as well get my sole complaint out of the way immediately; I think the jersey relic is a little too small. That said, I believe that collectors take relic cards, particularly those of Hall of Famers, for granted.

The jersey piece on this card, however small it may be, was worn by Bench in an MLB game, and he's a top 2 catcher of all-time alongside Yogi Berra. Not to mention, Panini also did a pretty nice job with the overall design of the card.

I realize that autographs are where it's at and that no one pays all that much attention to relics anymore, but it's important, from time to time, to take a step back and realizes how much history and significance these overlooked cards contain.

#4 2005 Fleer Tradition Cooperstown Tribute Johnny Bench
And so the list begins with back-to-back Johnny Bench jersey relics with this one being from his home uniform. For whatever reason, my relic/autographs bins have a ton of 2005 Fleer Tradition relics, featuring Hall of Famers and then-active stars like Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez.

The Cooperstown Tribute design is near-perfect for its subject set, and I'm thrilled to have a reasonable number of these cards in my collection. Though they're not serial numbered, these relics are some of my personal favorites in my entire collection.

#3 2000 Upper Deck Legends Legendary Signatures Dave Concepcion
This Dave Concepcion autograph was produced right around the time of the first autographs and relic cards, and I think Upper Deck did a pretty sensational job. After all, this card is from the very beginning of the relic/autograph era.

For starters, Concepcion's autograph is beautiful, and Upper Deck was smart to have him use a blue sharpie even though the card was produced before the autograph soared in popularity. I'm also a huge fan of the black and white filter, particularly how it pairs with the simple card design.

While the autograph may not be groundbreaking, Upper Deck did an excellent job considering that this card is almost 20 years old. It just so happens that, as time went on, companies perfected this art.

#2 2006 Topps Heritage Flashbacks Stadium Seat Relics
The stadium seat piece on this card is from Crosley Field, the tiny home of the Cincinnati Reds from 1924-1970. Throughout its existence, the ballpark was among the smallest in the game in terms of capacity, which never topped 30,000, and field size.

Midway through the 1970 season, the Reds moved to Riverfront Stadium where they'd achieve a great deal of success, including a World Series appearance later that season and consecutive Fall Classic victories in 1975 and 1976.

Stadium seat relics aren't as common as jersey and bat pieces, but I, nevertheless, appreciate the history and context that they provide.

#1 2018 Topps Luminaries Home Run Kings Black Parallel Frank Robinson
This gorgeous Frank Robinson 1/1 on-card autograph was the crown jewel of my Dad and I's trip to the National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago earlier this year, and as long as I collect, it'll rank as one of the greatest cards I own.

Certainly, a card of this caliber didn't have any trouble claiming the #1 spot on the list. The Luminaries design, however expensive the cards are, is beautiful, and Frank Robinson's signature is one of the best that I've ever seen.

It's challenging to see the full beauty of this card without looking at it in person, but the longer I stare at it, I notice more details that help make this card one of the prized possessions of my card collection.

5 comments:

  1. Tons of cool stuff here. The Frank Robinson Luminaries card is awesome. It’s always fun to have that one “go to” prized possession card in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that F. Robby is sweet. My best Reds card is his rookie card, but I don't think I have any big-time Reds autos. I do have a dual relic of Bench (with Victor Martinez) and one of my Tom Seaver relics is as a Red, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Frank Robinson auto! I've been trying to get one of his autos/relics for a while. This post is inspiring me to make it a priority. The Concepcion auto is very nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a solid Top 5. A 1/1 on-card Frank Robinson autograph would beat any Cincinnati Reds card in my collection. That thing is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would've put the Dave Concepcion auto at #2, but other than that it was pretty solid list!

    ReplyDelete