Thursday, August 2, 2018

Top 5 Cards: Al Kaline

Still being uncertain about how long I'll be at the show today (or any of the days), I decided to write this post before I leave for my first full day at The National. A post about one of the two guys whose autos I will be chasing in-person at the show later this week. This top 5 cards post is dedicated to Al Kaline.

When planning my trip to The National many months ago, I began to speculate over what autograph opportunities I would like to take advantage of. I'm sure there are some collectors at the show who are doing nothing but in-person autographs the whole time. While it's quite a significant and memorable part of The National, it's simply not something I wanted to spend the whole show doing.

However, when I saw this image from the 1968 World Series of Bob Gibson pitching to Al Kaline, I knew whose autographs I wanted to chase. I kept telling myself how awesome it would be to have them both sign this 16x10 photo which I had printed before I left for Cleveland. I knew it would be some waiting and take up a decent part of my show budget, but I'm completely okay with that now.

My Al Kaline player collection is currently nearing 50 cards. It sits at 48 cards as of now. Here are my top 5 favorites.

#5 2013 Topps Gypsy Queen
Each time I do a top 5 cards post, I always find myself including a Gypsy Queen card on the list. I try to find a different card since I feel I talk about Gypsy Queen too much on the blog, but that's only because it used to be an incredible set and my personal favorite. The grey borders of the 2013 set go exceptionally well with the classic Tigers uniform and the detailed art on the card. The angle is a little bit off from where I'd like, but other than that, the card truly excels and stands out among the nearly 50 other options.

#4 2002 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Classics
For this specific card, it's more the set design and how good the Kaline card looks because of the set that made me decide to put this card at #4 on the list. While I don't have many 2002 Upper Deck Sweet Spot cards, I have to admire how 2 colors (silver and beige/gold) make for a simple card with some very detailed aspects. My favorite part would have to be the silver baseball in the background. I just really like how the photo of Kaline is placed right in front of it. It makes for a truly exceptional card.

#3 2003 Fleer Rookies & Greats
I don't believe the Fleer Rookies & Greats set lasted all too long but judging by this card, I really wish it did. Al Kaline's card from the 2003 set is similar to his 2002 Sweet Spot card above. The card is mainly 2 colors and while simple, it presents itself as a well-made card with fine attention to detail. From the fonts chosen for the set and player name to the photo placement, the card borders on flawless if we're talking 2000's cards. However, I had to place it a bit lower for the vintage cards occupying spots #2 and #1. 

#2 1974 Topps
While, like 2013 Gypsy Queen, this isn't exactly the angle I would have liked for a card like this, it actually helps make the card as unique and special as it is which is why I put it at #2 on the list. I don't believe this photo was taken at night given that they wouldn't be playing night games much or at all in the early 70's, but the dark background helps the card look even better. Finally, the angle at this was taken, showing Kaline ready for a play in the outfield, is what makes his 1974 Topps card a little unorthodox, but one of my favorites nevertheless.

#1 1971 Topps
Sure it's off-centered, but the classic black borders of the 1971 Topps set along with the black and white Tigers uniforms are what makes Kaline's 1971 Topps card my favorite out of all the cards of him I have. For starters, when cards are done well in 1971 Topps, they're done exceptionally well because they should have a nice photo to accompany the black borders. This Kaline card has that and a light blue sky background which helps it out even more. I remember buying this card at the Mansfield show earlier this year as an upgrade to the one I already had. Now, maybe after this post, I could possibly upgrade this exceptional card one more time. That's how special this card is. 

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon. I stumbled upon your site after searching for the photo of Gibson pitching to Kaline. If you don't mind, where did you find the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do a google search for "1968 World Series Gibson and Kaline" the photo should come up under images.

      Delete