Saturday, August 11, 2018

Adding to 1961 Topps; National Recap Part #5

For those of you that remember, I decided to start collecting 1961 Topps a couple months ago with the idea in mind that I'd begin as soon as I finished up collecting the 1972 Topps set. With '72 completed towards the end of June, I began to start seriously thinking about 1961 Topps, including the more expensive cards within the set.

Although I didn't truly think that I was going to make it far with this set due to the prices of early 1960's cards, I still added the missing cards from this set to the want list before I left for The National just in case there were some commons available for a good price.

Not only did The National exceed my expectations as to what I would find from 1961 Topps, it absolutely shocked me. I bought from 3 vendors who were selling 1961 Topps cards for an exceptional price, including cards as cheap as 50 cents each from all 3 dealers. Granted, some cards aren't in the greatest condition, but it's not like condition is something super important to me. Besides, it's not like I expected every inexpensive 1961 Topps card to be in good shape anyways.

Before going to The National, I had merely 15% of the set or so. I wasn't just missing cards of big names, but I also lacked tons of common cards which is why I found I needed so many cards when going through the want list. There are some common cards from 1961 Topps shown above, each costing me 50 cents each. For the most part, I stuck to buying cards like these which is why I was able to take so many '61 cards off the want list for such a low price. 

Then, there were a few of these manager cards with the light blue, white, and red striped background. Given the resources available in 1961, I think that this card design is pretty well-done. I've always liked the different designs for manager cards in vintage card sets, particularly the floating heads in, I believe, the 1960 Topps set. 

Even though the AL strikeout leaders and NL pitching leaders cards don't feature the most well-known names, I still expect the league leaders cards to cost more than the average card, and I was right to think this way. However, they were still just as incredible deal as the rest of the cards at just $2 each. With the addition of these 2 cards, I don't think I need any additional league leaders cards for the set and if I do, it's likely only one more.

The reason I'm showing this Dick Groat card is that he's the very first card in the 1961 Topps set. Usually, having the first card which is typically more expensive, is a sign that you're serious about whatever set you're building. The condition is good enough and while the centering isn't great, I'm glad to finally have the first card from the set that I'm getting more and more into collecting by the day.

One of my favorite parts of the 1961 Topps set is the MVP award winners cards, using red for the American League and blue for the National League. I don't have that many so far, though I have a big one in Mickey Mantle. Adding Al Rosen, the 1953 AL winner and Jackie Jensen, the 1958 AL winner, helps me to close in on this part of the set.

I don't think there's any better part of the 60's Topps baseball card sets than the combo cards. The clever titles with the well-chosen players occurred in every single set in the 60's (to my knowledge), but sadly, these cards didn't last forever. If Topps is ever looking for advice as to how to make today's Topps Flagship sets better, I would start by bringing better combo cards back like these. 

I was so unsure as to if I had this card or not, so much so that I checked my Brooks Robinson player collection inventory on my phone to make sure I needed this card for 1961 Topps. The reason for this is that I feel like I've definitely seen this card before, likely in the 2010 Cards Your Mom Threw Out insert set. Anyway, Brooks Robinson's 1961 Topps card is another big name that I got to check off my want list, and for the low price of $5 no less. I know I said the 800-count box for $50 was the best deal of the show, but after seeing these 1961 Topps cards again, I might have to change it to these cards instead.

2 comments:

  1. It’s just st not gonna feel the same when you head back to shows in Woburn and Mansfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1961 isn't my favorite set, but that Brooks... man, that's a sweet looking card!

    ReplyDelete