Thursday, April 12, 2018

And the Next Set I've Chosen to Collect is...

After posting about it on Tuesday and contemplating the decision and getting feedback on the blog, I've decided that 1961 Topps will be the next set to collect as soon as I track down the last 8 cards needed to finish up 1972 Topps.

My decision to begin collecting 1961 Topps was not easy as there were several other sets I was considering, including 1962, 1970, and 1977. But the way I figured it, 1961 Topps is a perfect size (just under 600 cards), includes better quality photos than '62, and is a set that I already have a fair amount of cards from which cannot be said for 1970 or 1977. 

I've already begun to separate as many 1961 Topps cards as I can find and put them together. I'll probably get sheets and an album for them so they can be put away by the beginning of next week. Then, I'll work to finish '72 before truly starting the project that's going to be completing this set. This is not only the first 60's set I've ever chosen to collect but also the oldest set I've ever chosen to collect by a long shot. The set has multiple cards other than the standard player's cards that really help to define the era it's from and what 1960's Topps cards are really all about.

Team cards were some of the best cards in sets up until Topps replaced them with team photos that include just 6 or so players celebrating a home run. I've been very vocal about my dislike for Topps' new approach to team cards because I personally think these cards look a thousand times better than the "team cards" they make nowadays. Team cards are also typically more expensive than player cards which makes it that much better to find team cards from the set such as these 2 of the cross-town rivals, the Cubs and White Sox. 

There are also manager cards in the 1961 Topps set that include an interesting blue, white, and red background to go with the orange around the portrait. The design is pretty cool and makes this part of the set very intriguing, but the manager cards I have so far were some of the many vintage cards that fell victim to being miss-cut back when miss-cut cards were far more common.

Of course, it couldn't be 60's baseball cards without combo cards that group players on the same team and even some from opposing teams and put them on the same card with a clever title. This Al's Aces card shows the ace pitchers of manager Al Lopez's Chicago White Sox. Those pitchers include 1955 AL Rookie of the Year Herb Score and Hall of Famer Early Wynn.

But my favorite part of the set so far, and there's a lot to choose from, would have to be the World Series Highlight cards that commemorated one of the most exciting World Series' of All-Time, the 1960 Fall Classic between the Yankees and Pirates that featured Bill Mazeroski's famous walk-off home run in game 7. I believe I have all but one of these cards, so the last card needed of the 7-game series plus celebration card will likely be one of the first cards I get once I start buying cards from the set. 

I may or may not know what I'm getting into by deciding to collect a 1960's set, but I know it's going to be exciting. I already know I have some big cards from the set which I'll save for another post, but I also know I'm a long ways away. Still, I chose '61 Topps for a reason and I can't wait to really get into it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment