Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Frankenset Page 4

After debating it for a while, I've decided I'm going to post 1 of these frankenset pages on the blog each week with a week here and there that I'll post 2 of them. I've always enjoyed the idea of a frankenset and have always looked forward to seeing bloggers post them every now and again. 

Plus, the pages allow me to show off some cool random cards which I absolutely love doing, and something I would do anyway even without a frankenset. And if that's not enough reason, it seems to be pretty well liked and it gives me a post to fall back on, knowing I have all the cards together and all I have to do is scan and write. 

So here it is, page 4 of the frankenset with some cards that are pretty familiar from past pages including the Odubel Herrera and Dave Pagan.

#28 2017 Topps Gypsy Queen Odubel Herrera
When I posted my first frankenset page, I explained how while creating the set, I bought a couple packs of 2017 Topps Gypsy Queen in order to find some cards to include. The first to make it was a card of Bartolo Colon, who unbelievably took a perfect game into the 8th inning on Sunday. Another was Odubel Herrera, who is shown here in the Phillies' home jersey which is one of my favorites in baseball.

#29 1970 Topps Sandy Alomar
This picture of Sandy Alomar has to be one of the blurriest images I've ever seen make it to a baseball card. I can't imagine that this happened to every single Sandy Alomar card in the set, though I can't say it would surprise me too much. 

Update: I just checked COMC and while it was a little hard to tell, it doesn't look like every card is as blurry as mine. Just lucky, I guess.

#30 1993 Classic Best Gold Minor League Edgardo Alfonzo
I have very few Classic brand cards and I have never heard of Edgar Alfonzo before in my life. I just liked the jersey and the angle of the photo taken enough to put it at #30 in the set. Upon further research, turns out his full name is Edgardo and unless I got him mixed up, he played 12 years and made the 2000 NL All-Star team and won a Silver Slugger award in '99. 

#31 2006 Topps Opening Day Torii Hunter
Behold, the set of illegible writing, both scanned and in person. The photo of Hunter is actually not bad, and I do like the Opening Day logo in this set more than other Opening Day sets. But that writing is so hard to read I'm actually surprised I chose this card for the set. 

#32 2016 Topps Archives Kevin Pillar
I mentioned how well Topps replicated the headshots from the 1953 Topps set in yesterday's post when I talked about my top 5 favorite Manny Machado cards. This one of Pillar is no different as it too, does a good job of replicating the picture style from the 2nd Topps Flagship set.

#33 2005 Donruss Classics Larry Walker
I guess I've learned my new baseball fact of the day because I never knew that Larry Walker played for the Cardinals for 2 seasons after playing with the Expos and Rockies for most of his career.

#34 2017 Topps Bryce Harper
Did you guys see Bryce Harper's broken-bat home run that he hit last night against the Mets? That'll probably raise his contract size a good $5 million in the offseason. After all, this is the league where Bobby Bonilla is still being paid a million dollars a year for years to come.

#35 1977 Topps Cloth Stickers Dave Pagan
Here is the final cloth sticker to make the frankenset, the first being John Mayberry on page 3. This one is of Dave Pagan and highlights the terrible airbrushing job that was all too common in the 1970's. At least the hat is pretty cool.

#36 Ted Williams Set Ray Boone
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 1993 and 1994 Ted Williams sets are some of the classiest looking sets of their time, maybe even ever. Ray Boone's card is an excellent testimony to this theory. 












2 comments:

  1. The airbrusing looks even worse on a cloth sticker. But a first-year Mariner is pretty cool. I like the Ray Boone as well. And Edgar Alfonzo is apparently not the former Met Edgardo. He's simply Ed Alfonzo, who played 12 years in the minors but never made it to the show. Still a cool card, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edgar and Edgardo are brothers. https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Edgar_Alfonzo Edgardo is one of my favorite players.

      So I guess I'll pick his brother's card as my favorite of the page, bug I like the Hunter and Boone, too.

      Delete