Saturday, April 14, 2018

Knocking a Big Card Off the '72 Want List

After having the card on my radar for years and seeing prices exceeding $30-50 dollars, I finally picked up card #686, Steve Garvey, to bring the number of cards needed to complete 1972 Topps down to 8. 

I decided to make this Sportlots order a 1-card order because despite the card being a tremendous deal at $19 including shipping, it still took all my Sportlots profits from last month in order to be able to order one of the most expensive cards from the 1972 Topps set. I realized when I ordered it that the card is slightly miss-cut, but I couldn't pass up the price it was going for even if the card isn't in the greatest condition. Plus, I can't really say that condition has ever really mattered all that much to me when buying cards for this set or any other vintage card set. 

The tan and brown 1972 card backs are yet another part of the set that I greatly enjoy. They're done very well to emulate the era that they're from, which is the vintage card era. They also include another common card back detail from the 60's and 70's, a trivia question plus cartoon. This one asks "Which Dodger Was A Winter Bridegroom?"

It's Steve Garvey, the guy on the card! Who would've guessed it? You gotta love vintage baseball card backs, the cartoons are just so creative. 

This order gets me just 8 cards away from completing the set, including 2 more expensive cards which are shown in bold. Those 2 cards are Bobby Murcer and the Ron Cey rookie card while the other 6 I need include Hoyt Wilhelm and Dusty Baker.




2 comments:

  1. The '72 Garv was the first pricey item I ever bought at a card show. I owned it many years before I started thinking of completing the '72 set. Good luck on finishing it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. You should be able to grab a few at the Shriners

    ReplyDelete