Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Frankenset Page #3

As I reach the 3rd page of the 74-page Frankenset, I've finally reached the point where vintage cards begin to make an appearance in the set for the very first time. There are 3 cards on this page from before the 1980's, even a card from the late 1960's which you can probably tell is the '68 Topps Game Richie Allen.

The 2010's are still as prominent as ever with 4 cards, but that's because a great deal of my collection is cards from the last number of years. The last 2 cards on the 9-card page are both from the 1990's. Now, here is page 3 of my Frankenset.

#19 1990 Topps Glossy All-Star Collector's Edition Greg Briley
According to the card description on COMC, this card could be obtained in 1990 through some type of mail-in. I had never heard of Greg Briley before, but he wasn't actually an All-Star in 1990, so I'm assuming this was one of those Topps All-Star things, not actual MLB All-Stars.

#20 2012 Topps Opening Day Fantasy Squad Carlos Gonzalez
I'm not exactly sure of the idea behind these Fantasy Squad inserts from 2012 Topps Opening Day, but I am sure that Topps could make the cards a bit more exciting than a simple gold and green design. At least the colors look nice together. 

#21 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen The Queen's Throwbacks Sonny Gray
These inserts remain some of my favorite all-time inserts from the Gypsy Queen brand. I would love to see these brought back in a future Gypsy Queen set but with color photos to draw more attention to the throwback uniforms rather than having them be black and white.

#22 2016 Topps Chasing 3000 Ichiro
Any of the Chasing 3000 insert cards would work extremely well in a Frankenset, so I went off the numerical need when determining which one would make the cut. This card commemorates his 2230th hit, which he hit back in 2010.

#23 1968 Topps Game Richie Allen
The 1968 Topps Game set is an easily recognizable set that was meant to be played like a game of baseball. The checklist is just over 30 cards and I'm currently missing just 2 of them, Rod Carew and Al Kaline.

#24 1972 Topps Ted Ford
The color pink wasn't used for many teams in the 1972 Topps set, only the Indians, and Cubs. This card also makes me super excited about how close I am to finally completing the set. 

#25 1993 Topps Black Gold Carlos Baerga
The Black Gold cards of the 1990's were somewhat rare and had a far more exciting design than the base cards. I know that I have a few others including Dennis Eckersley, but it was Baerga that made the cut.

#26 2014 Panini Golden Age Sleepy Bill Burns
Being part of the Black Sox Scandal didn't stop him from being included in the 2014 Panini Golden Age set. It's cards like this that make me want to collect Panini, but it's hard to look past the logoless cards.

#27 Topps Cloth Stickers John Mayberry
We close out with a 1977 Topps Cloth Sticker card of John Mayberry. He may not be super well known, but the powdered blue Royals jersey looks incredible on the card, and Topps chose an excellent set to do this type of thing with by choosing 1977 Topps.










4 comments:

  1. Briley was a Mariners prospect overshadowed by Griffey Jr.

    I went to card show in the Seattle area in 1989 while visiting my grandparents and had a choice between getting his autograph or a recently acquired pitcher for $8. Briley's line was really long, so my brother and I settled for the pitcher...Randy Johnson.

    I always assumed the green and brown/gold background on the Fantasy Squad inserts was supposed to be the infield grass and dirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an incredible story. Amazing how a barely known player is now recognized as one of the greatest pitchers ever, and you got his auto!

      I never really thought about the gold and green looking like grass and dirt. I think I would've noticed it more had it been more reminiscent of actual grass/dirt.

      Delete
  2. The Glossy All-Stars weren't even supposed to be an all-star team; there was no organization by positions. It was just a marketing thing. And really annoying, because there's no easy, clear way to differentiate between those "glossy all-stars" and the ones of the All-Star Game starters inserted into rack-packs.

    I'm gonna call the '72 Ford my favorite of the page, although the cloth sticker give the nostalgia for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty weird that they'd make a Glossy All-Star set of players that weren't all actually All-Stars. It's pretty confusing.

      Delete