Monday, February 25, 2019

Frankenset Page #42

If I've learned anything during the time I've been collecting Baseball cards and blogging as well, it's that there are both benefits and drawbacks to lacking a central focus of my entire collection.

What I mean by this statement is that although I'm able to narrow down my focus to areas that I'm most interested in, I continuously collect a wide variety of different cards, ranging from my Craig Kimbrel collection to Topps Heritage. At some points, I definitely feel all over the place.

In addition to feeling frazzled with all the different aspects of my collection that I'm attempting to focus on, collecting a wide range of different players, products, and eras of Baseball cards prevents me from completing sets in a timely manner. My vintage Topps sets are a prime example of this.

However, it's the craziness of my collecting habits and the fact that I branch out in so many different directions that allows me to truly enjoy and make the most out of Baseball card collecting. I prefer to collect precisely what I'm interested in at a particular moment in time with a complete understanding that my interests could change at any moment in time.

It's my willingness and curiosity regarding various aspects of card collecting that has boosted my love for this hobby. Whether you collect only 1 specific thing, or you branch out in a hundred different directions, everyone should focus on exactly what they want to collect.

I wouldn't have my frankenset if my card collecting habits didn't expand in multiple different directions, and I truly enjoy both looking through the pages and writing the posts for this set. 

Today, I have the 42nd page ready to go. Included on it are cards #370-378.

#370 2004 Topps Gary Sheffield
Sheffield's inclusion in the infamous 2007 Mitchell Report has likely ended any chance of the 9-time All-Star gaining a spot in Cooperstown. A member of the 500 home run club, Sheffield received just 13.6% of votes during his 5th year on the ballot. With only 5 years remaining and no huge increase in percentage expected, his candidacy is in major jeopardy.

#371 2016 Topps Heritage Yasmany Tomas
I'll take any opportunity I can to mention that 2019 Topps Heritage is being released this Wednesday, only 2 days from now. After all, it's continuously been my favorite release for over a decade now, even if the Topps set that's being recreated isn't a favorite of mine. 

Like I've done for the last 3 years, I fully intend to purchase a hobby box of this stuff to see exactly what 2019 Topps Heritage has to offer.

#372 1984 Fleer Darrell Evans
Because it's sandwiched in between 2 of the greatest Fleer base sets of all-time, 1984 Fleer fails to thoroughly impress me. The set just appears underwhelming, featuring an uninteresting set design and unnecessarily large photographs. Not to mention, 1984 delivered a colorful Donruss set and an iconic Topps design as well.

#373 1998 Bowman International parallel Jason Halper
Without a doubt, the Bowman Chrome version of this very card is multitudes more appealing. Although neither the chrome nor the foil parallels from the late 90s were as high-quality as they are today, the sheer appearance of the chrome card is far more visually appealing than the same card as a dull foil parallel.

#374 1992 Fleer Ultra Kevin McReynolds
You can expect respectable photo quality, especially for the 1990s, in the 1992 Fleer Ultra set, but the product doesn't feature an incredibly stimulating base design. The photography is likely the reason why I included these cards in my frankenset in the first place. However, I'm not sure what that black slash at the bottom of the page is supposed to be.

#375 1993 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr.

Like '92 Fleer Ultra, the 1993 Bowman base set isn't necessarily what one would call "exciting." The set design is definitely on the simple side, but it's hard to dislike a card of Ken Griffey Jr, especially from the beginning of his 22-year MLB career.

#376 2015 Topps Joc Pederson
Pederson has consistently proven himself to be a power threat throughout his big league career thus far, but when it comes to batting average, the 26-year old falls into some trouble. A career .228 hitter, he reminds me a bit of Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks, who cashed in on a 7-year $70 million dollar extension within the last few days.

#377 2015 Topps Heritage Nick Swisher
This is likely one of Nick Swisher's final Topps cards, for he retired soon after the 2015 season despite an attempted comeback with the New York Yankees the following year. Swisher definitely achieved the most success in New York. The best season of his career came in 2010 during his prime with the Yankees.

#378 1983 Topps Lee May
It was interesting to see these super veteran cards from 1983 Topps recreated in Topps Archives a number of years ago, but nothing will truly compare to the original cards. Luis Tiant, Bobby Murcer, and Lee May are just a few of the players included in this iconic subset that honors veteran players from the beginning to the near end of their careers.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta go with that Lee May as my favorite of the page. Certainly looks more familiar in the Reds uni than the Royals powder blues.

    ReplyDelete