Thursday, March 7, 2019

Top 10 Cards From 2019 Topps Heritage

Although I haven't waivered on my belief that Topps Heritage utilizes far too much blue sky in the card backgrounds, I must admit that there have been some pretty impressive cards in Topps Heritage this year, and I'm not just talking about the inserts and SPs.

The main draw to Topps Heritage is the short print and variations due to the value of those particular cards. Granted, it's awesome to pull a few SPs or get lucky with a rare variation. However, 90% of the cards you pull in Topps Heritage are base cards, an often overlooked aspect of the set.

In spite of the over-reliance on blue sky backgrounds, especially since 2017, Topps has produced some stellar base cards over the last few years with 2019 being no exception. It's part of what makes Topps Heritage a fan-favorite set year after year, for even the common base cards are well-crafted. 

As it stands now, I'm fairly certain that I've finished opening packs of Topps Heritage. This likely means that I'll soon begin piecing together the set myself, both at the Baseball card show and online. 

After all, you can only open so much Topps Heritage before the inevitable doubles begin to reveal themselves.

So, as an appreciation post of sorts for 2019 Topps Heritage, today, I'll be counting down my 10 favorite base cards from this years' set, starting with a Red Sox player at #10.

#10 Rafael Devers
At the beginning of each new card collecting season, it takes me a while to fully realize that last years' rookies are no longer first-year players. While I begin to recognize the new rookie class, it becomes engraved into my head that 2018 rookies like Rafael Devers are now in their 2nd (technically 3rd) season.

Devers' 2019 Topps Heritage card shows him doing what he typically does; smiling. While a ballpark shot would be a better option instead, the background is still an excellent fit along with the classic Red Sox uniform. 

Just seeing this card makes me excited for the 2019 MLB season, and I'm hoping that it's a bounce-back year for the 22-year old.

#9 Todd Frazier
When I first saw Todd Frazier's 2019 Topps Heritage card, I mistook it for some kind of variation, likely an action image card. However, I quickly learned that it was a base card instead and one of the better ones in the entire set.

I thoroughly appreciate Topps' efforts to use a wider variety of different images, hence why Frazier's card made the list. Instead of showcasing the same Spring Training photo that I've grown to slightly dislike, a pre-game shot of Frazier signing autographs is a drastically better choice.

#8 Josh Donaldson
After initially applauding Topps for showing Josh Donaldson on his new team, the Atlanta Braves, given how recently he signed with them, I began to appreciate various aspects of the card. As far as Spring Training cards go in Heritage, Donaldson's is definitely as good as it gets.

The background is not limited whatsoever and, instead, allows for a broad view of the ballpark. The black bat is another nice addition, and thanks to modern technology, it's very difficult to tell that Donaldson was photoshopped into the Braves' uniform at first glance.

#7 Masahiro Tanaka
Although I spotted roughly half a dozen cards similar to the one above, featuring a pitcher holding a Baseball for the camera to see, it was Tanaka's that stuck out for all the right reasons. Whether I'm fond of the team or not, the Yankee pinstripes look like they belong on this card because of how classic the jerseys and the 1970 Topps set is.

As a matter of fact, nearly everything about this card, from the team name to the cursive writing, is classic and very simplistic. And yet, this rather basic card was more than enough to make the top 10.

#6 Joe Panik
Thankfully, not every sky background is exactly the same, for some photos were taken a bit closer to sunset than others. One of those cards belongs to Giants 2nd baseman Joe Panik, whose card not only features an intriguing background, but an action shot of Panik swinging the bat as well.

Thanks to the timing of this photograph, the bat almost appears to be coming through the actual card. In addition, he's wearing my favorite Giants uniform, the classic home jersey, which adds a subtle touch to a card that I'm already fairly fond of.

#5 Daniel Mengden
Sporting a Rollie Fingers-style mustache, Oakland Athletics pitcher seems to be paying homage to the 1981 AL MVP and Cy Young award winner with this card. With the A's uniform to pair with it, this card immediately caught my eye and entered my mind as one of the greatest cards of this years' set as soon as I pulled it from a pack.

#4 Benintendi's Benediction!
I'm sure a Topps Now card was released to honor this iconic moment in which Andrew Benintendi made an insane game-winning catch against the Astros in the 2018 ALCS. However, one could argue that this 2019 Topps Heritage card, commemorating the same event, is even better.

This is because of how much Topps stays true to the original 1970 set by creating a creative title for the card while, at the same time, using the design to pay tribute to a recent event in postseason Baseball.

#3 Carlos Santana
As an idea, showing a Cleveland Indians player in the Oakland Athletics' dugout doesn't appear to be a fantastic idea. However, now that I've seen the actual card in-person, I can confidently declare that Santana's card is one of the greatest and most interesting base cards in the past few years of Topps Heritage. There's just so much going on throughout this entire card, and I love every single bit of it.

#2 Pat Neshek
I'm not quite certain on who decided to have Pat Neshek pay tribute to Lowell Palmer's 1970 Topps card in 2019 Topps Heritage, but it's an excellent idea and very well-executed as well. Because of how eye-catching the Phillies uniform and, specifically, the sunglasses are, it's difficult to get too irritated by the rather basic background.

Also, the fun fact on the back of Neshek's card states that he's probably the only player ever to wear #93.

#1 Red Sox Celebrate World Series Title Win
All the copyright restrictions in the world couldn't take away from how crazy I am about this card, especially since it's perfectly captured in a black and white photograph. Unlike the Topps Now card for when the Red Sox won the World Series, this card captures the exact moment when they won. 

It's an event that I can easily recall from my own memory; seeing David Price run towards the mound to celebrate with Vazquez and Sale. Better yet, the subset is officially back to being The Sporting News, another small detail that did not go unappreciated.

2 comments:

  1. The Benny card is awesome!!! I like the Archer too even though it didn't make your list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd Frazier's card is a Coors Field card! One to find for the frankenset.

    ReplyDelete