Friday, March 15, 2019

Top 5 Cards; Nolan Ryan

Dating back a significant number of years, Nolan Ryan has always been my largest player collection by far. I'm not certain what the deal is with all the cards I've accumulated of the 8-time All-Star, but his player collection currently sits at 451 cards, exactly 200 more than my #2 PC, Greg Maddux.

In many ways, the significant number of Nolan Ryan cards in my collection is somewhat surprising. There are a bunch of other players who I'd expect to have that title over Ryan. Sluggers, players from the over-production era, and of course, legends like Babe Ruth all seem like reasonable candidates, but Ryan is a rather unexpected choice.

Up until the very end of his career, there weren't a ton of companies producing various Baseball card sets. Instead, it was after he retired that Ryan was included in countless sets by companies like Upper Deck and Fleer. Even today, Topps and Panini produce their fair share of Nolan Ryan cards, and they always seem to end up in my collection.

Speaking of the end of Ryan's career, after being in the game for well over 2 decades, Ryan received his well-deserved respect once he announced his retirement through tribute sets by companies like Pacific and Donruss. 

Yet, even without those specialty sets, Ryan would still be my #1 player collection by a margin of roughly 100 cards. That basically sums up how often I come across Nolan Ryan cards and explains why he's my only player collection with over 300 cards.

One of my 2019 Baseball card collecting goals was to have 500 total Nolan Ryan cards in my player collection, a mission that I feel rather obligated to accomplish. I haven't finished entering all my dime box pickups online, so I'm likely hovering around the 460 card mark right now. Only 40 cards to go.

This was one of the hardest top 5 cards lists that I've ever had to make, solely because of the volume of different Nolan Ryan cards in my collection. It was somehow accomplished, but it was quite difficult to narrow down my favorite 5 from hundreds of different choices.

#5 2003 Topps 205
A perfect example of a card that's been a part of my collection for as long as I can recall, this 2003 Topps 205 card was likely in my Nolan Ryan collection back when that PC was hovering around only 50 total cards. Years have since gone by, and this elegant framed card remains one of my personal favorites.

I often get bored with Ryan being featured as a member of the Texas Rangers time and time again in Baseball card sets, especially by Topps. Even though the Astros aren't a whole less prominent, it's refreshing to see their bright team colors and something different from the common Rangers jerseys.

#4 2016 Topps Perspectives
Another Astros card to make the list, Ryan's 2016 Topps Perspectives card combines 2 incredibly unique elements into 1 card; the Astros' 80s uniforms and the revolutionary Astrodome. Digitally enhanced for modern times, this card takes a very unique perspective (get it?) with an angle that isn't utilized all too often. Nevertheless, the end result is something totally exceptional and unexpected.

#3 1993 Triad Whataburger Nolan Ryan Recollections cards
It was far too difficult to select just one of these 1993 Triad Whataburger Nolan Ryan Recollections cards for this top 5 cards list, so I simply combined all of them into 1 spot for the countdown. With a design pattern that's fairly reminiscent of the modern-day superfractor, these cards are absolutely beautiful. 

Although I don't have one of these cards in my collection that shows Ryan on the Mets, the 3 other teams that he played for are represented. Specifically, each card commemorates a certain accomplishment in his career, paired with a brief blurb on the back, supposedly written by Ryan himself.

The card backs are definitely on the simple side, but it's not a major deal given the exciting card fronts. I don't know the particulars of this promotion, but I certainly wish there were more promos like this nowadays between Topps/Panini and food companies.

#2 1973 Topps
Most of my vintage Nolan Ryan cards are part of my 1972, '75, '76, and '79 Topps sets, so I didn't have a bunch of choices when it came to 70s cards for this post. Still, the 2 I ended up with are cards that I'm proud to have in my collection. One of them, as you can see, is Ryans base card from 1973 Topps.

Although the set design isn't too thrilling, I'm a big fan of the uniform that he's wearing, from the jersey number being on the front to the halo above the "A" in Angels. Ryan spent arguably the best years of his year in California as well with 5 of his 8 All-Star game appearances coming during his time with the Angels.

#1 1970 Topps
Similar to the first card on this countdown, I've had this 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan card since I first began collecting Baseball cards. My sole original card of Ryan on the Mets, it was only recently that I opted to get it graded by Beckett. 

A grade of 3, meaning very good, isn't ideal, but I was fairly certain that the card wouldn't receive the highest grade. The primary purpose of getting this vintage card graded was to preserve the card itself, not to see how high of a grade the card obtained.

The card back shows you that this card is a high-number, #712, produced while Topps was still releasing their Flagship sets in series. That factor, along with the card being graded and a base card, helps the value of Ryan's 1970 Topps card even more. 

But besides the fact that the card has some value to it, his card from 1970 Topps is my favorite Nolan Ryan card because of how long it has been a part of my collection for. Above all else, it's the backstory behind this card that makes it so special, hence why I placed it at #1 on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment