Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Top 5 Kansas City Royals Autos/Relics

Similar to the Baltimore Orioles, a team that I wrote this same type of post for last week, my top 5 Kansas City Royals autograph/relic card post primarily features cards of 1 specific player.

This time, that player is another legendary 3rd baseman, both on an offensive and defensive level. I'm, of course, talking about 13-time All-Star George Brett who, like Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles, has a plethora of relic cards out there, many of which have made their way into my collection.

I've always been a somewhat-avid collector of relic cards due to their availability and low prices, but I can't say that I've realized the extent of this until recently. Collecting relics/autos is, by no means, my #1 priority, but I always seem to be adding new ones to my collection.

Whether I pick up some bargain hits at the show or pull them from packs of cards, my hit collecting ways have allowed me to create posts like this for more teams than just the Red Sox and Cubs. Since starting this series, the A's, Cardinals, and Orioles have all been featured. Now, it's the Kansas City Royals' turn.

I mentioned earlier that a good portion of the cards on this list are of Royals legend George Brett, but not all of the inclusions showcase the 1980 AL MVP. A couple of active players also have cards on this list, although neither one of them are still with Kansas City.

Finally, although the title suggests that both autos and relics are featured in these posts, the Royals list, in fact, consists solely of relic cards. Now, let's get to the countdown.

#5 2001 Topps American Pie Rookie Reprint Relics George Brett
At first, I didn't think much about including this particular relic card in the top 5. The concept behind these relics from 2001 Topps American Pie is superb, but some aspects of the execution leave a little be to be desired.

With that being said, I'm too fond of Brett's Rookie Reprint relic not to feature it on the list and, believe me, there were plenty of other options. I appreciate the fact that the jersey is game-worn, but more so than that, I admire how the style of this card stays true to both the 1975 rookie card and the American Pie brand.

#4 2004 Donruss Elite Career Best Jerseys George Brett
I guess the same could be said for the #4 card on this list as well; a 2004 Donruss Elite jersey relic numbered out of 200 copies. The more I look at it, however, I appreciate the combination between the gold parallel and the blue on the rest of the card, specifically the powder blue jersey swatch.

While I remember buying the American Pie relic at a card show a few years back, I don't recall where or when I added the Donruss Elite jersey swatch card to my collection. Regardless, it's a very unique and daring card, worthy of making the top 5 list for Royals autographs/relics.

#3 2016 Panini Diamond Kings Studio Portraits Materials Silver Lorenzo Cain
Powder blue jersey swatches are an automatic plus for any team's relic card, including the Kansas City Royals. In this case, not only are there 2 light blue jersey swatches, but the card itself stays true to Kansas City by using the color profoundly across the rest of the card.

Panini Diamond Kings, as a whole, can be a hit or miss product, but this dual relic numbered to 99 is definitely a success. Not only does it reflect highly of the set itself, but you can tell that the card was created with a ton of attention to detail.

#2 2004 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites Relics George Brett
The final George Brett relic card on this list is one of the most unique relic cards in my entire collection; a 2004 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites card with a generous jersey swatch in the middle of the card. Specifically, the design is incredibly unique and different from anything we ever really see on a memorabilia card. 

I dig the retro-style Fan Favorites text along with the Baseballs lined up below the relic swatch. I also find the background, which I'm just noticing now, incredibly interesting as the Philadelphia Phillies' dugout is featured directly behind the photo of Brett.

I have this exact same card of Carl Yastremzki, and I thoroughly appreciate both of these Fan-Favorites relic cards. You can bet that, if I ever see another one at the show, I'll have to consider adding it to my collection.

#1 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Framed Mini Relics Black Parallel Eric Hosmer
While determining #2-5 on this list proved to be slightly difficult, the #1 card was a no brainer; a gorgeous black framed mini relic card of Eric Hosmer, back when the 1st baseman was still a member of the Kansas City Royals. Not only do I love the black mini card and the frame, but the dark blue jersey swatch is another incredible touch.

I even pulled this card myself out of a pack of 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen on my birthday a few years ago. Numbered out of just 10 copies, the card is absolutely gorgeous, and Hosmer's still a relevant enough player that this card could potentially have some value.

But honestly, it's hard to care too much about value when it comes to a card like this. I can thoroughly say that I don't dislike a single element of this card, and I'm ecstatic to have it as the #1 card on my list.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see 2016 DK get some love. It's a beautiful looking set

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I really like that 04 Topps Fan Favorites and 01 Topps American Pie relics. I don't think I have any Brett memorabilia cards. And I think I only own one autograph of his. I probably should do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got a couple of relics of him, and a rookie, but an auto is high on my want list.

      Delete