Thursday, September 26, 2019

Frankenset Page #65

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into the habit of posting regularly over the weekend, since I've missed a few more posts than I would've liked so far this month. Thankfully, I have the reoccurring frankenset series that I can always count on when I need ideas.

This page, #65 in the binder of 74, showcases cards #577-585 and covers 3 decades of MLB history (the 1980s, 2000s, and 2010s). 

#577 1989 Fleer David Palmer
In addition to the mediocrity of the Boston Red Sox, one of the biggest shocks of the 2019 MLB season was how disappointing the Philadelphia Phillies were.

Despite having Bryce Harper, Rhys Hoskins, Jean Segura, Andrew McCutchen (though he got injured), and J.T. Realmuto, they were eliminated from playoff contention by the Nationals, who clinched a Wild Card spot earlier this week.

If nothing else, at least Harper has 12 more chances to make the playoffs in Philadelphia.

#578 2015 Topps Ender Inciarte
One of the more underrated players on a formidable Braves team, Ender Inciarte arrived in Atlanta via the Arizona Diamondbacks as a part of the Dansby Swanson trade back in December of 2015. 

A career .286 hitter with 113 stolen bases, Inciarte has won a Gold Glove award in each of his seasons so far with the Braves (2016-2018). He's been limited to just 200 at-bats this year, so I don't believe he'll continue this streak.

#579 1988 Donruss Gary Lucas
After 1985, the quality of the Donruss base sets deteriorated as the "junk wax era" commenced. Though the '86 and '87 designs were average, 1988 Donruss is one of the most uninspired and bland sets of that era.

I suppose I chose this card because of the California Angels uniform because I don't know how else '88 Donruss would make it to my frankenset.

#580 2007 Topps Garret Anderson
Given how today's game has become centered around the home run, it seems like we're seeing fewer and fewer highlight reels of catches like the one on Garret Anderson's 2007 Topps card. There's less of an emphasis on defense, contact hitting, and almost every other stat category in favor of homers.

With that being said, I'm buying into this craze a little, and I'll be keeping an eye on Pete Alonso this weekend to see if he breaks Judge's single-season rookie home run record.

#581 2009 Upper Deck Alexei Ramirez
Speaking of highlight reels, I always remember, for some reason, seeing White Sox infielder Alexei Ramirez make the SportsCenter top 10 plays list on a semi-regular basis. 

A career .270 hitter, Ramirez enjoyed success during his time in Chicago, including a 2008 AL Rookie of the Year runner-up campaign when he was beaten out by Evan Longoria.

#582 1983 Topps Marshall Edwards
There have been plenty of 1983 Topps cards across my 65 frankenset pages thus far to the extent that anything I say about the set will likely be repetitive. So, I'll just reiterate how much I love these cards and move on.

#583 2016 Topps Didi Gregorius
As impressive as the Houston Astros are and as consistent as the Minnesota Twins have been, the New York Yankees should be the most feared team going into the postseason. 

After all, they're 102-56, and that's with Gio Urshela and Brian Tauchman starting far more frequently than superstars Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, and Didi Gregorius. 

I could dedicate a whole post to how many challenges this team has overcome, but, for now, I'll just wish the best of luck to whoever crosses their path in October.

#584 1983 Fleer Johnny Bench
I'm not sure how this Johnny Bench card ended up in the frankenset instead of the Bench PC, but I'm even more surprised to see 3rd base listed as his position on this 1983 Fleer card. 

I knew that Bench played other positions throughout his 17-year career, but I always assumed that catcher would be listed above all others.

#585 1984 Topps Dan Driessen
By the mid-1980s, few members of the Big Red Machine that won 2 World Championships in the 1970s remained in Cincinnati. Bench and Dan Driessen were among the players who stuck with the Reds, even after Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, and Tony Perez all moved on.

2 comments:

  1. Johnny Bench played 107 games at third in 107, and spent exactly 1 inning catching, so Fleer did the right thing.could be an interesting post of players with really odd position designations—both guys like Bench who moved late in their careers, and odd early ones such as Gary Sheffield at SS or Carlos Delgado catching.

    I think my favorite on the page is Inciarte with the oddball “Los D-backs” uni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'm not "buying in the craze", I am pulling for Alonso to break Judge's record.

    ReplyDelete