Friday, September 20, 2019

There's a First Time For Everything

Aside from the Bowman Mega Boxes that I purchased earlier this year with the intent to flip the cards on eBay, I stay away from any and all prospect-heavy products until Bowman's Best is released just before Christmas.

The added layer of risk that prospect cards add to the hobby is too significant for me to justify the hobby box prices of any Bowman release.

The fact that Best is relatively inexpensive, includes veterans in the checklist, features only the top prospect, and guarantees 4 autographs gives the product way more appeal than any other Bowman product. Plus, the chrome cards are gorgeous, especially as inserts or refractors.

I was certainly aware of the release of the new 2019 Bowman Chrome on Wednesday, for it's one of the most popular sets of the year.

Despite its popularity, I've never given any thought to buying a hobby box which sells for around $150-$160 upon release and rises soon after. The price point is far too high for 2 autographs of players who might be respectable 3-5 years from now.

This does not mean, however, that I'm not willing to sample a pack or two from a new release since it's far less risky and expensive than a whole box. Being that Bowman Chrome is hobby exclusive, an LCS is the only viable option.

However, I did not make the decision to sample 2 packs of 2019 Bowman Chrome. My Dad, who was at Fenway for the Red Sox vs Giants game yesterday, visited a card shop near the park and picked up 2 hobby packs, of the recently released product.

Pack #1

#BCP-215 Khalil Lee
If you're somewhat familiar with 2019 Bowman, then you know what to expect from the Chrome release. There are 5 cards per pack, all of which are printed on beautiful chrome cardstock. As "meh" as the actual Bowman design is, there's something about Chrome that enhances these cards.

#BCP-164 Micker Adolfo
One thing that struck me, as soon as I began studying these cards, was the size of the prospect checklist. The card numbers, from what I've opened, go up to 237, and I'm sure the set continues until at least 250 prospect cards, maybe 300. Given how few base cards you get in a hobby box, this was fairly surprising.

#ST-CS Stat Tracker Connor Scott
Connor Scott was one of the autographs that I pulled out of last year's Bowman's Best, so it's refreshing to see that he's still in the spotlight and part of 2019 Bowman Chrome. Scott's .526 batting average is from his senior year in high school. I'm not sure, however, how he's performed in the Marlins' farm system.

#25 Kyle Tucker

#60 Alex Bregman
After opening 1 pack, I've familiarized myself with the format of this set. It appears that the first 2 cards are prospects while the final 2 are rookies/veterans. The 3rd card, located in the middle, is where the inserts, refractors, and hits will likely be.

Pack #2

#BCP-237 Luis Garcia
The major chase in this product, just like regular Bowman, is anything and everything that's a 1st Bowman prospect card. I don't have a strong knowledge of 2019 Bowman Chrome, per se, but the most valuable cards are almost always 1st Bowman prospects.

#BCP-219 Mason Englert
I haven't heard of Garcia or Englert before, but it doesn't hurt to hold onto these 2 cards for a few years and see what happens rather than selling them for very little money right now. This added risk to card collecting is appealing to some, but I just can't seem to get behind it.

#BCP-176 Jose Devers Purple Refractor
Considering the fact that I could've ended up with another insert card, I'm pretty pleased with this Jose Devers purple refractor, numbered out of 250. Cousin of Red Sox superstar (yes I said superstar) Rafael Devers, Jose Devers was included in the Giancarlo Stanton trade back in 2018.

I can't complain too much about a serial-numbered card of a 1st Bowman prospect, much less a position player as well.

#43 Josh James

#92 Ryan O'Hearn
And of course, it wouldn't be a Topps or even a Bowman product without the select group of rookies that we've seen in virtually every release so far this season. From low-end to high-end, Josh James and Ryan O'Hearn have been in everything.

While I'd never buy a box of this, I enjoyed sampling this set for the very first time. I plan on holding onto these prospect cards for a few years because that's the fun and the not so fun thing about purchasing Bowman products.

2 comments:

  1. I have two friends who enjoy opening this stuff. They usually pull the hot rookies and sell me the rest cheap. Then I put it away and don't look at it until some of the sleepers start waking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not a bad idea. After all, look what's happened to guys like Judge, Alonso, even Aristides Aquino. Guys that aren't expected to become superstars but end up surprising everyone.

      Delete