Sunday, January 21, 2018

My First Completed Collecting Goal of 2018

Earlier this year, I announced my 7 card collecting goals for the year that involved many things, including completing the 1969 and 1970 Topps Pilots team sets. Well, I am proud to say that just a few weeks into the year, I have already completed that goal from my list by acquiring the 5 Pilots I needed via COMC. 

The Ted Kubiak card at the top of the post was the only card needed from the 1970 Pilots set, while I needed 4 cards from the 1969 team set, including Mike Hegan. I knew that these cards weren't in high-demand, so I was able to take advantage of the fair prices and get all of the cards in excellent condition.

I really enjoy the Pilots uniforms which is one of the many things that drove me to try to complete the base sets in the first place. Since 1969 was the first (and also the only year they played) most cards don't have the blue and gold jerseys that were included in the 1970 team set. They were still able to include the hats on some of the cards like Jack Aker's card. The Aker card is one of my favorite cards that I got. I really like the unconventional photo choice and how great the Pilots jersey looks on the card.

The next card was by far the coolest one from the 1969 Pilots set. It's the card of Pilots manager Joe Schultz, the only manager in Pilots history. Not only is it awesome to have the card of Schultz

But the creative, and slightly terrifying card back make the card just that much better. Topps created these card backs especially for the manager cards to state an interesting blurb about the manager that's part of the many reasons why I enjoy card backs so much, and why Topps should put all of the players' stats on the card backs in 2018 Topps. 

The final card needed for the 1969 set was the Pilots rookie stars card that included the eventual 1969 AL Rookie of the Year and future manager, Lou Piniella. This is another favorite card of mine, despite me not liking Lou Piniella all that much. To me, it's just really cool to see the rookie card of someone who went on to have such an eventful career in both playing and managing for many different teams. I'm not usually a big fan of rookie stars cards, but this one ranks as one of my all-time favorites. 

Adding these 5 cards means that I have completed 1 of my 7 card collecting goals from the year. And considering it's only a few weeks into the year, I'm hopeful for what else I can check off my list this year too.






No comments:

Post a Comment