Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Final Post From the Mansfield Show

This is the final post recapping what was an extremely successful baseball card show. I've posted for days in a row now recapping what I got at the Mansfield baseball card show. It was definitely more than what I was used to, but it was an amazing show that I will certainly return to most likely during there Sunday shows in March.

Anyway, back to the baseball cards and memorabilia. 

As I said, I've been posting about what I've found at the show, but now I'm going to show you the incredible find my dad got. Located at the top of the post is 7 promotional baseball card glasses issued by MLB, Coca-Cola, and McDonald's in 1993 (yes really McDonald's made these). The 7 that were available were all players that we collect and the cards on the glasses feature some well-chosen sets like 1961, 1973, and 1957.

Now, here's a closer look at individual features on each glass.

As you can see, these All-Time Greatest Team glasses were produced by McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and MLB in a collaborative effort. The glasses were part of a promotion at McDonald's and I assume many people actually used these glasses for drinks. However, the ones my dad got appeared unused, so whoever first got these must've known not to put anything in them.

As you can see, the back of the glass features the players' career stats. The checklist consists of 9 players, 2 of which were not included with the ones my dad saw on Monday. Those 2 players are Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth, which leads me to believe they will be extraordinarily expensive and hard to find. There's also a glass #10 of Carl Yastrzemski, listed as the 10th position, the DH. It was distributed exclusively in the Boston area, so I'm surprised I didn't see it with the others considering the show is relatively close to Boston. Since it's exclusive, I'm sure that one costs a ton as well, so I'm never expecting to complete the 10 glass set, but you never know.

A fake signature is included in another part of the glass to add a nice detail to the already well-done collectible items. 

And of course, the final part of the glasses include a reprinted Topps card of the legendary players. I can tell each card was carefully chosen, and I really do like all the cards that MLB chose to put on the cards, especially the 1985 Topps Cal Ripken All-Star card which looks absolutely fantastic printed on the glass.

After seeing the impressive haul that my dad landed, we were pretty much ready to go, but on the way out we both noticed a vendor with a bin. And that bin had a sign we couldn't help but stop and look at.

All relics $3.

$3? I couldn't believe it and I was half expecting a bunch of duds with a Stephen Drew thrown in there, but the sign intrigued both my dad and myself, so we decided to take a look. What followed was absolutely incredible.

The relics available were nothing short of amazing as the bin featured dozens of star baseball players, and quite a few Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers like Thome and Vlad. This also included a player already inducted into the Hall (Eckersley) and a colorful green relic on the card as well as a George Foster relic that is by far my favorite designed relic I got. It's hard to believe these were just $3 each.

But the insanely cool relics didn't stop there, there were many more relics to choose from, including a plethora of Ivan Rodriguez or "Pudge" relics. I found 4 relics of the Hall of Fame catchers that included 3 jersey relics on the Tigers and a single bat relic of Rodriguez on the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez is a player who my dad loves and is one of the first players he and I collected, so getting these relics is an excellent way to boost our collection of Ivan Rodriguez cards and relics. 

As we continued to progress through the bin, my dad and I were forced to make some decisions regarding what cards to get and what cards not to get. We were forced to put a few of the cards away, but we couldn't do that for these 2 Andre Dawson relics. After all, it isn't every day you see these cards for $3.

There was even another Dawson relic card that I liked even more, and not just because it shows him on the Cubs. I really enjoy how there are 3 elements of this card that are blue, the jersey, the border, and Dawson's uniform in the photo. All of this blue is able to come together and make a really cohesive card that looks truly fantastic. I've never seen this set have relic cards before, so I was more than happy to add this Dawson card to the purchase.

But the last, and the best relic I got that day was of none other than Willie McCovey. I was astonished to see a relic of the Giants legend available for the price of $3. I knew that relics weren't as popular as they used to be, but I never would've thought a relic of one of the greatest hitters of all-time would cost me $3. After picking out this card, I cashed out and began the drive home. Until next time Mansfield show. 










3 comments:

  1. Awesome haul.. I've got the complete set of glasses.. actually got them in person at the local McDonalds back in the day. Love the Mansfield show

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a near-complete set of the McDonald's glasses..my mom took me to McD's as often as possible so I could collect 'em all (I think they were released one a month throughout the baseball season.) I thought I had the complete set, but a few months ago I found them in a shoebox (wrapped in old newspaper) and it turns out I'm missing the Clemente.

    Actually, I'm missing two - I never knew there was a Yaz until you mentioned it in this blog post. I lived in Connecticut at the time; not close enough to Boston I guess :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mansfield show recaps were a great read. It's always an enjoyable show and you never know what you'll find there. That McCovey was a steal at $3.00.

    ReplyDelete